HD Shutting down Buell

STOC #
Re: Buell is dead...

You need to look at the loss for the last quarter and the fact that Buell and MV combined were less than 1/3 of general merchandise sales (That would be T-shirts and other wearables.)

The overall amount of time and money simply makes no sense and by this point in evolution Buell should represent more on its own than T-Shirt sales.
Not only that but ~4 mil increase in revenue is chump change and may not even represent a steady growth in unit sales. It could simply have been flushing inventory so they are not stuck with costly loan payments.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Well....if Yamaha sticks Buell with Star Motorcycles, you might see the same we-only-sell-the-cruisers-here attitude that prevailed at the H-D dealers.
Unlike H-D, Yamaha is not a one-trick pony. They have established lines of cruisers, sport bikes, dirt bikes, scooters and a lot of other things. Why would they stuff Buell in with their cruiser brand?

Plus I just don't see H-D selling Buell to a competitor unless the offer is too good to pass up. It might make more sense for Yamaha to simply offer Erik a job..
Milwaukee is thinking in next-quarter's-bottom-line terms, and they need cash to stay afloat. If Yamaha dangles a large enough wad, they'll jump. Buell's production is tied into H-D's because they were owned by H-D. With the plans in hand, Yamaha would be perfectly capable of tooling up a factory to make them, and I'll bet they'd supply new engines, too.

--Mark

STOC #
Unlike H-D, Yamaha is not a one-trick pony. They have established lines of cruisers, sport bikes, dirt bikes, scooters and a lot of other things. Why would they stuff Buell in with their cruiser brand?
I'll turn the question around. Why would they stick it on a showroom floor next to an R1, R6 or FZ? For that matter, did they even get on board with their own twin when Honda had the RC51 and Suzuki had the TL? If for some reason they decided to start marketing a twin (why now?), they might think is should be sold to the same market as the V-Max. Plus Star has a very aggressive marketing program. BTW, it was just speculation, not even a prediction.

Milwaukee is thinking in next-quarter's-bottom-line terms, and they need cash to stay afloat. If Yamaha dangles a large enough wad, they'll jump. Buell's production is tied into H-D's because they were owned by H-D. With the plans in hand, Yamaha would be perfectly capable of tooling up a factory to make them, and I'll bet they'd supply new engines, too.--Mark
Unfortunately, I don't think the Asian four are any more inclined to take on this challenge at this time. You make it sound so trivial for Yamaha to instantly tool up a line and plug and play an engine. That would take a ton of cash to pull that one off and I doubt they are inclined to take that risk right now. Why would they even bother when they already have a line of well received sportbikes? It would make more sense for Polaris, who doesn't have a sportbike.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I'm not a salesman for my work and I get no commission of any kind for this........I just wanted to give anybody who might be in the market a heads-up. (I also hope doing this doesn't violate any rules)

With the recent closing of Buell, my work is blowing out all the Buells......

Water-cooled Buells: $3k off of msrp
Air-cooled Buells: $4-5k off msrp

Corona Harley in Corona

Don't forget to stop by the parts counter to say "Hi".:D

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
The motorcycle industry is in a lot worse shape than some people think, especially HD ,there bubble has burst and with over 2500 employees loosing there jobs and dealers trying to stay afloat ,I am not surprised at any thing right now. But it is sad none the less. :slv13: Robert-07-ST

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Willie G. or someone could write a thick book on the trials and tribulations of the H-D brand. When I was a little children, I remember the AMF insignia decaled on the side of my Harley 350 Sprint. I just about had my dad talked into buy a new "Hog" too. Two-stroke dirt bikes that had one of the worst reps in the business. Golf carts that stank it up a bit too.

I am not currently a Harley or Buell fan. I could see myself buying a new Buell if the funds were available. But I am sadened to see the business in trouble. I feel about Harley/Buell like I feel about the big three US auto makers. I would like nothing more than to boast about how "We" Americans build the best cars, trucks and motorcycles. I would like to say, "Yeah, they're expensive but you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, my opinion is not there yet.

I can't think of a single reason why Harely or Buell wasn't the first to come out with a new V-4 with the techno advances of Honda's new VFR1200. Why sub out the V-rod engine design to Porsche? Hire some of the brightest minds in the business, lock them in a room and tell'em not to come out until you have X, Y and Z.

Obviously, I've just shown my ignorance for business. For me, accountants are getting an even worse reputation than the beleaguered used cars salesmen and lawyers.

I hope Harley and or Buell comes out with a new machine in a few years and their sales slogan is:

Turn the key, push the starter button, change the fluids and we'll see again in 200,000 miles!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Anyone else here remember "Holiday Ramble", the RV company Harley owned at about the same time as the golf cart company? They too went by the boards. Harley has a long history of buying dying companies and paying for the funeral.

I've got a query in to the guy who originally posted the Yamaha rumor at COMPoST. He's a moto-journalist and may have more info or at least a source.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
:(

"The decision will result in a reduction over time of about 80 hourly production positions and about 100 salaried positions at Buell. Employment will end for a majority of Buell employees Dec. 18, 2009."

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/news/story.asp?id=1445
I have 3 former engineering students and 2 current students working for Buell (one is on their race team). This is spectacularly bad news... for most of these kids this is all they wanted to do, ever.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've got a query in to the guy who originally posted the Yamaha rumor at COMPoST. He's a moto-journalist and may have more info or at least a source.
Careful dealing with those guys who write about motorcycles....shifty bastidges... :rolleyes: :03biker:

Bike
'09 ST1300
Sad, sad news. While riding today, I stopped at the local HD/Buell dealer, boy was I surprised. All the prices of new Buells are cut in half (unless I misread the tags). There are ullysys and 1125R's to name a few, original prices were at $11,995 range and they are selling them at $6,300. They are all 2009's and all new.

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
I have 3 former engineering students and 2 current students working for Buell (one is on their race team). This is spectacularly bad news... for most of these kids this is all they wanted to do, ever.
I am sorry to hear that, young people, well qualified and energized at the start of their careers...tough start, very tough start.

acara1796

AHRMA Racer, Advanced MC Instructor
Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
It is always sad news when a MC of any brand is dropped.

Puts an interesting twist into AMA/DMG Roadracing...
Agreed... can't wait to see what the "Pace Bike" will be, oh wait they nixed the rolling starts. :confused:

Richie Morris Racing just announced that they inked Danny Eslick to a new contract for 2010. Wonder what type of bike he'll be riding :mad:
A BMW... :rolleyes:

Does this mean that the Cubed Blast could be worth more then an actually functioning one?

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I think the fact that HD has brought the XR 1200 stateside probably didn,t help the sales of a few Buells. I for one would buy the XR over the newer generation Buells! :slv13: Robert-07-ST

MGDaversa

but you can call me Michael
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The motorcycle industry is in a lot worse shape than some people think, especially HD ,there bubble has burst and with over 2500 employees loosing there jobs and dealers trying to stay afloat ,I am not surprised at any thing right now. But it is sad none the less. :slv13: Robert-07-ST
And with that, Robert, I think you nailed the big picture. Here in my corner of the Midwest, a number of cycle dealerships have closed their doors and those that are still open definitely seem to have cut way back. (All the ones I know of personally were not H-D dealers, but single or multi-brand Japanese.) Bottom line, many (if not all) of the bike manufacturers already have shrunken dealer networks--and I don't think they're done shrinking yet. Now in addition, whether you liked the brand or not, the only mass-produced American sport bike line has been shut down. What next? I'm afraid to ask.

If/when "the great recession" of 2008-20?? is finally behind us, the landscape of the powersports industry is going to look a lot different than it used to.

--MGD

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Update on the Yamah rumor, sort of. The person at COMPoST who forwarded the rumor was not the moto-journalist I thought it was, just a fellow rider passing on info. All my searches turned up no original source for the rumor. The "AP Japan" tag seems to have been fabricated completely.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Well, that was fun.

Of course, just because we can't confirm it doesn't mean it isn't true. :bigpop:

--Mark
Did you all hear what Blrfl said? I could hardly believe it, and I couldn't confirm it, but heck, that doesn't mean it couldn't be true...

STOC #
Update on the Yamah rumor, sort of. The person at COMPoST who forwarded the rumor was not the moto-journalist I thought it was, just a fellow rider passing on info. All my searches turned up no original source for the rumor. The "AP Japan" tag seems to have been fabricated completely.
Nope, that guy on the FZ10A board (that I mentioned a few messages back) was called out on it. He got a good laugh and now the thread has been pulled. You guys were punk'd.

Top Bottom