"He ran right into me..."

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I was just informed that a co-worker was involved in a crash this weekend.

Sounds like the rider (my co-worker) was in the right lane on the highway, and a car who was getting onto the highway merged directly into him from the on-ramp.

My co-worker apparently suffered some foot/leg injuries, but is healing in the hospital, thank God.

While I am of course concerned for my co-worker, I can't help but wonder...

...did my co-worker have any opportunities to take action to prevent the crash?

...was my co-worker thinking "I bet he's gonna merge right into me."

...has my co-worker had any training since getting his M endorsement (assuming he has one)?

...does my co-worker utilize any sort of road strategy to keep himself safe?

For my own learning, I am compelled to ask him how the crash unfolded, but I am not sure he'll want to even talk about it. If what I suspect is true, I also want to try to get him into some training to help him develop his road strategy in the hopes that he will never have to endure another crash.

Am I off-base? Am I asking myself the right questions? Should I just leave it alone and be grateful that he was not killed?

Fire at will.

Bike
2014 ST1300
I think I would stick to just asking "What happened?". If he wants to share, he will. If not, then let it be. I would stay clear of suggesting training though in a direct way if at all. At best, "Hey there's this course I am thinking of taking, looks like it might be really good/valuable. Want to sign up with me?"

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Asking is caring, just don't be judgemental. We all make mistakes either though stupidity, lack of education and or lack of experience.

Before trying to develop his strategies for future use I'd wait and see if he decides if two wheels stays in his future. Some choose not for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I think I would stick to just asking "What happened?". If he wants to share, he will. If not, then let it be. I would stay clear of suggesting training though in a direct way if at all. At best, "Hey there's this course I am thinking of taking, looks like it might be really good/valuable. Want to sign up with me?"
That sounds like a good idea, since I try to take a course each season anyway...try to drag him with me!

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Asking is caring, just don't be judgemental. We all make mistakes either though stupidity, lack of education and or lack of experience.

Before trying to develop his strategies for future use I'd wait and see if he decides if two wheels stays in his future. Some choose not for a variety of reasons.
I imagine it would be a difficult decision to stay in the saddle after a crash.

Bike
VStrom 650
It's very nice that you are showing concern for your colleague TT, but I agree with the above. Yes, ask him how he's doing, maybe ask if he's getting back on the horse, but I would leave it for others to advise on future training/techniques etc. Obviously if he asks then help him along.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I would leave it alone until he wants to talk about it. You have to be aware of your surroundings, that applies to life in general, but sometimes even that doesn't matter.
Probably best to leave it alone and just be thankful he is still here.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
It's very nice that you are showing concern for your colleague TT, but I agree with the above. Yes, ask him how he's doing, maybe ask if he's getting back on the horse, but I would leave it for others to advise on future training/techniques etc. Obviously if he asks then help him along.
Upt'North.
Great advice, thanks Upt' North!

Bike
R1200rt
Let some time go and soon either he or someone else will bring it up. The question I would ask( I ask myself frequently) is there anyway you could have avoided it?

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
..did my co-worker have any opportunities to take action to prevent the crash?
The case could also be that he had minimal opportunities to prevent the crash .

Deleted member 5682

So glad your friend and co-worker is on the mend.
Merging drivers will naturally tend to flow right into your lane; if distracted (phone in hand), odds are much higher.
After an early first encounter & near-miss, I discovered a timely "tap-tap" on 139dB Stebel will usually put them back in their own road space.

JMHO:
We need to be aware of the "Now, and quietly calculating +/- 10-secs from now".
Discerning relative motion, closure rates, and reducing time to decide/act is an acquired and valuable skill set.
--AND--
Don't be shy when you need to "improve" someone else's situation awareness.

"If they are really out to get you, your NOT paranoid." ---Unattributed

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
So glad your friend and co-worker is on the mend.
Merging drivers will naturally tend to flow right into your lane; if distracted (phone in hand), odds are much higher.
After an early first encounter & near-miss, I discovered a timely "tap-tap" on 139dB Stebel will usually put them back in their own road space.

JMHO:
We need to be aware of the "Now, and quietly calculating +/- 10-secs from now".
Discerning relative motion, closure rates, and reducing time to decide/act is an acquired and valuable skill set.
--AND--
Don't be shy when you need to "improve" someone else's situation awareness.

"If they are really out to get you, your NOT paranoid." ---Unattributed
139dB?!? I need one of those :)

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
Those same four questions you're wondering about your co-worker's thoughts and actions during and leading up to the collision are the same I ponder when I hear about similar events. However, I don't typically voice them so as not to be accused of "victim-blaming". Clearly, in the scenario you described, your friend wasn't at fault. And I'm certain you aren't implying that he was.

The fact remains, unfortunately, that motorcyclists must bear the responsibility for their own safety. When we screw up we get hurt. When someone else screws up we get hurt. Even when the automobile driver makes an egregious error people will shake their heads and wonder what the motorcyclist could have done to avoid the situation. It's not right but it is the way of things. So, we do the right thing by taking additional training, wearing hi-viz clothing, and debriefing and analyzing when incidents occur.

If your co-worker wants to discuss this with the goal of moving forward with understanding how to incorporate additional defensive driving tactics I'd encourage that. But, as suggested by the replies above, I wouldn't begin a discussion by asking him those questions directly.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Those same four questions you're wondering about your co-worker's thoughts and actions during and leading up to the collision are the same I ponder when I hear about similar events. However, I don't typically voice them so as not to be accused of "victim-blaming". Clearly, in the scenario you described, your friend wasn't at fault. And I'm certain you aren't implying that he was.

The fact remains, unfortunately, that motorcyclists must bear the responsibility for their own safety. When we screw up we get hurt. When someone else screws up we get hurt. Even when the automobile driver makes an egregious error people will shake their heads and wonder what the motorcyclist could have done to avoid the situation. It's not right but it is the way of things. So, we do the right thing by taking additional training, wearing hi-viz clothing, and debriefing and analyzing when incidents occur.

If your co-worker wants to discuss this with the goal of moving forward with understanding how to incorporate additional defensive driving tactics I'd encourage that. But, as suggested by the replies above, I wouldn't begin a discussion by asking him those questions directly.
Thanks, Motofisch!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Was he a new rider? If he was he needs to have experience meld him more into a rider that is always watching and as others have said analyze the situations. As a 50 years of experience motorcyle rider every close call is retained into my memory so I can see what is about to happen because i've seen it and experienced it before. Also as a senior citizen rider i am way more careful than I use to be because if I crash it's going to hurt big time and I may never be able to recover. Also I've got nothing else to prove so I'm riding at my relaxed pace and I'm good with it. Finally I like riding with my index and middle finger resting on top of the brake lever so I can brake a full .002 seconds earlier if i have too. You never know it may make a difference. I agree with the others wait until you guys are together and talk about it over some cold beers. Just alway's be aware and never rule out what they won't do (cage drivers).

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yeah I'd stick with "how're you doing?" or "you ok?" and leave it at that. There may be an occasion were he comments or wants to discuss it and that's your "Whiskey Tango F" "how'd it happen" moment. People tend to get real judge-y and condescending when telling someone how they could have prevented something and you don't want to be That Guy.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Let him do the talking.

There is a big blind spot at the right lane, merge lane, point of convergence. Many merging drivers do fail to check it before the final move. They think that just looking in the mirror is good enough. They assume that you see them trying to merge. This is the most dangerous place on the highway.

This is the main reason when I get on to the freeway I drift to the far side, of the left most lane, thus avoiding the situation as much as possible. When I am in the right lane and see a merging car, the amber lights go on in my head and I always think that they do not see me. So I give them lots of room. I have had, and many others here have had, near misses at this juncture. The best solution is caution and avoidance.

Top Bottom