"He ran right into me..."

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was just informed that a co-worker was involved in a crash this weekend.
You did not say he is your friend and for that matter, I was wondering if said co-worker was female until your last big paragraph, so I'll assume its a he.

For me, two things pop up, how much of a friend is he (how well do you know him), and is he gregarious, the type to talk about personal travails? If a buddy or the type who likes to gab (and listen) take him out for a beer or sit with him at lunch and break the ice by talking about your riding. You should be able to figure out quickly if he wants to talk about the accident or if he would be receptive to an invitation to take a refresher mc course (@Weaselinsuit's approach is brilliant).

As @Obo said, asking is caring, and also flattering. Just let his interest in discussing it (or not) lead you.

I'm obviously not of the camp that says ignore it until he brings it up. We are all bike riders, we (well many of us) wave at each other, and some of us even stop to help other bikers parked by the side of the road. Go for it!

Bike
Any
If your co-worker likes to watch motorcycle videos, have him search "Dan Dan the Fireman" on Youtube.

It's not as good as actual training & courses, but he does put out some useful tips on what to look for, and cars merging is a situation he talks about often.

Plus, it's in the form of video... so it's not like YOU are trying to lecture him... you're just passing on Motorcycle Videos he may enjoy.

Bike
R1200rt
I look back at the time I got hit, it was the perfect set up. A large sign blocking view down the road, car was already stopped at the light didn't see the car running the red light till it was too late. As I look back I could of done it differently but might of ended up worst.https://youtu.be/413cw_snzVYfender bender 2.jpg

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I look back at the time I got hit, it was the perfect set up. A large sign blocking view down the road, car was already stopped at the light didn't see the car running the red light till it was too late. As I look back I could of done it differently but might of ended up worst.https://youtu.be/413cw_snzVYfender bender 2.jpg
It looks like the motorcycle ran the red light to me in that video.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Coming from the perspective of a lifelong rider, an analytical personality style, as well as an MSF RiderCoach, I would NOT just let it go.
I like the idea of "can you help me out? If I get in that situation, what do you think I might do to avoid that? What would you do differently?", etc.
In all our classes, we emphasize self-assessment. Allow /assist this rider to do the same.
From Top Gun: "A good pilot is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned."

Bike
R1200rt
It looks like the motorcycle ran the red light to me in that video.
NO ... slow it down, it turns red after the hit. The driver waiting at the light stated in the report that the white car when through the red light... and remember here in Illinois there a second or two delay where both lights are red. The white car driver stated she didn't see the light. Police also saw the video.

Last edited:
Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Ouch. Did the police giving the driver a ticket for running the red light? you're lucky Al st1100

Bike
R1200rt
Ouch. Did the police giving the driver a ticket for running the red light? you're lucky Al st1100
no they don't do that here. I guess an insurance claim will cost enough in the long run rather than a ticket. They also don't want to tie up the courts because most judges will just let the insurance companies fight it out. She (80 yrs old) is listed in their report as at fault and they put a request that she be evaluated for a drivers licence.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Got some details from my friend who crashed....turns out the hearsay from my other coworkers was way off. Go figure.

It was a classic 90° intersection crash...car on the rider's right, waiting to pull out, didn't see the rider, and pulled out right in front of him. Knowing that, I am even more grateful he wasn't killed.

My friend said he saw the car, thought the car would stay put, and then the car pulled out into his path of travel. He also added "there was nothing I could do."

I don't know...I use a lot of different techniques to make sure I am seen, lane position, the SMIDSY bar wiggle to move the headlight, and I always immediately roll off throttle and slow a bit whenever I see the side of a vehicle.

My friend is healing in the hospital after two surgeries, a plethora of injuries, and more surgeries to come, but he is here. And I am thankful for that.

But, man, I wonder....

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I look at the front wheel of vehicles on the side, whether parked or intersecting.

You can see wheel rotation faster than the vehicle movement.
As do I, Sir. Out here in the back country of Oklahoma, lots of drivers "Pause" rather than STOP at the signs, and that has caused me to initiate emergency braking a few times. Oh well...good practice!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I look at the front wheel of vehicles on the side, whether parked or intersecting.
Reminds me of my MC license test...
(had the car since '84, did the bike in '92... they showed photos of traffic scenes, I was obviously the first who ever perceived "the parked car on the left" as imminent danger over it's front wheels turned right, hence about to pull out "any second"... )

Bike
2000 ST1100
Got some details from my friend who crashed....turns out the hearsay from my other coworkers was way off. Go figure.

It was a classic 90° intersection crash...car on the rider's right, waiting to pull out, didn't see the rider, and pulled out right in front of him. Knowing that, I am even more grateful he wasn't killed.

My friend said he saw the car, thought the car would stay put, and then the car pulled out into his path of travel. He also added "there was nothing I could do."

I don't know...I use a lot of different techniques to make sure I am seen, lane position, the SMIDSY bar wiggle to move the headlight, and I always immediately roll off throttle and slow a bit whenever I see the side of a vehicle.

My friend is healing in the hospital after two surgeries, a plethora of injuries, and more surgeries to come, but he is here. And I am thankful for that.

But, man, I wonder....
This comes from experience but you never assume they see you or will stay put. It's just the other way around....you always assume they won't stay put. At least thats how I ride. Experience is a cruel teacher as she gives the test first and the lesson later.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
This comes from experience but you never assume they see you or will stay put. It's just the other way around....you always assume they won't stay put. At least thats how I ride. Experience is a cruel teacher as she gives the test first and the lesson later.
Well stated.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Glad your friend is going to recover, from the sounds not too bad. That merge exercise has to be one of the worst; it requires steady operation, signaling, cooperation and good manors between motorists to work well [I almost got through that without bursting out in laughter] while [if you're the one being merged into] maintaining your safety relative to everything else. I imagine at some point you can assume that most of the motorists around you passed some kind of road test and maybe some training to get their license, but once they have it, they've only got to be able to fog a mirror to hold onto it.
I imagine your friend will eventually get to where [like everyone that's been down] everyone goes and take a hard look at what he can remember and ask himself what he could have done differently and if there's a lesson in the experience, but all in the fullness of time, for now, sounds like he's gonna wind up with all his parts intact.
I think I'm talking myself into lessons... Geeze! No! I'm too busy, I have no time! I can't afford it! I've got to do the siding...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
"Lessons" is one thing -- a one or two-day class is another.
If you have never had any formal training (common in the USA), do consider an MSF BRC or BRCu, 2 days and 1 day, respectively. Lee Parks has training out west, and there are others, but I know little about them.

Top Bottom