Hearing Protection

Bike
2010 ST1300
Nope, I use Howard Leight orange foam plugs. I buy 'em by the case and use them for work, running noisy tools (chain saw) or motorcycling. I like the idea of throwing them away after a couple of uses or when they show dirt. I want to try custom ear plugs, but have not been to a rally where they make them on the spot recently.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Yes not the greatest at noise reduction and you really need to be careful putting them in so you can get them out later ,that little tab gets hard to find when folded over .

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The NRR rating is not as good as disposable Howard Leight Max Lites or Laser Lites which can be found for $25 a box of 200.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Custom moulded are the only way to go. Costly, but then, what's your hearing worth? It is recommended that they have a 5 year life, as your ears do change shape as you age. My first pair lasted 7 years before they started to become uncomfortable.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Custom moulded are the only way to go. Costly, but then, what's your hearing worth?
While custom moulded may be the optimum in comfort, the foam plugs are certainly adequate for noise reduction, so its not like you're jeopardizing your hearing by using them.

Bike
VStrom 650
Blue, some of the made to measure plugs can be hard and uncomfortable in my experience, the ones with filters in to allow certain noises through don't always work too well and if you use them often get used to cleaning crud off and out of them.
Whilst disposables can get expensive depending on the amount you ride, they are better at keeping all noise out and in my opinion much more comfy.
I think the ones you posted are overpriced and no better than normal disposables.
I find that contact lens cases are good places to store your plugs whilst on the road, they're nice and small and keep dirt off the plugs before use. From my own use of hard plugs I know you will drop them and if anything can find a slotted grid cover they will.
Hope you sort it.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby said:
so its not like you're jeopardizing your hearing by using them.
+1 I haven't used the OP's mention because no flanged earplugs have ever worked for me. I bought a box of 200 3M E-A-R disposables and they work well enough.

I used a couple different custom molded sets when I did PPC competition and they were not comfortable after a short time. I opted for some no longer made SOS reusables that are the best fitting earplugs I've ever used. But they're no more.

Upt' North said:
Whilst disposables can get expensive depending on the amount you ride, they are better at keeping all noise out and in my opinion much more comfy.
This is my experience as well.

My favorite earbuds are the former top of the line Shures with memory foam tips. Very isolating and they are great transducers. Unfortunately the cords are not replaceable (except maybe by Shure) like the newer model that replaced it so I won't be using them on the bike. Also I think there's a such a thing as too much sound isolation on a bike. I cannot carry on a conversation with earplugs in.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I want to try custom ear plugs, but have not been to a rally where they make them on the spot recently.
Look up a local audiologist, this way you get to use your health insurance. ;)
For me, the audiologist can make a mold that they send off to Westone and have custom made ones done.
I went with the model (ES 49) and have 9, 15 and 25db filters I can swap in. The 9 and 15 filters are pretty flat on frequency response. Makes them nice to wear when we go to a concert, and comfortable enough I put them in and leave while doing wood working. TRU customs are available too, a little cheaper but I don't think their neutral balance is quite as good.

OR... head to a Sams Club (at least around here).
The Sams have an independent person inside, will make you a solid silicone pair, fairly comfortable and good NRR. I have a pair of these and using them on occasion too. Definitely not neutral tone balance, and if doing physical work they can make it tiring not hearing some of the outside world and just internal body noises. For all day on the motorcycle with the constant noise they work just fine.

Both sets and my monitors were paid for by Flex spending money.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Look up a local audiologist, this way you get to use your health insurance. ;)

Both sets and my monitors were paid for by Flex spending money.
I've seen them for 40 to $60 at rallies and MC shows, and a local audiologist quoted me $150. I don't think Medicare covers these, tho money in our HSA probably does. What is Flex?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't think Medicare covers these, tho money in our HSA probably does. What is Flex?
Yep, HSA should, as long as provided by a medical doctor.

Flex is what you might have if not in an HSA, if you use traditional insurance (PHP, HMO, etc...). Set money aside, pre-tax, and spend it on medical like HSA, covers you prescription, co-pay, etc.

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've thought about a molded plug but... I uses the built plugs for everything. 33db rating mowing, chainsaw, wood chipper, motorcycle, sleeping, everything. yes sleeping.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#earplugs/=1e2f5ab

200 pair for 38.78 = .19 per pair. I reuse them until they are nasty,lost, thrown into the washing machine.

The problem in have the pressure buffeting. If I move the shield all the way up helps but can get stuffy in the heat.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I use the Hearos brand 33 db noise reduction foam earplugs (blue). I typically find them at my local CVS but are online also.

Skip

RCS

I had some custom made by an audiologist. Cost me about $400 with the exam but they have lasted 10 years and 55,000 miles and still going strong. Primary benefits are that they fit perfectly and are comfortable for 12 hour rides.

Top Bottom