Hearing Protection

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wow, they do look impressive, but yeah they're little out of my price range.\
Just for curiosity, check with an audiologist. Prices were heavily discounted from the MSRP, I just looked at my receipt, I was just at $900, all in, for my $1500 listed ear buds. Even the bluetooth cable I got for $81, while on Amazon it was listed $165. (I just checked Amazon, now they list it for $99)

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Great thread. Thanks for sharing your experience. However, any updates are appreciated as I'm searching for good hearing protection.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Still using foam Howard Leight uncorded Max Lites or Laser Lites. I use a pair for one or two days then dispose and get a new pair. Now that I’m semi retired I am using more of them but I still expect a 200 count box will last at least a year. I just bought a new box of Laser Lites off Amazon for $17. I carry extras on each bike and give them away as I’m a believer.

Will check out Walmart purples , heard already some good things about those.
At the moment i don't use any protection as my hearing is bad anyway.
I ordered myself new 312 hearing aid batteries and can't wait for the delivery, as i almost can't hear anything these days.

Last edited:

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I have been using ear plugs of various types at work, Howard Lazer Lites have worked the better so far. But in the last few months, my ear canals are now getting irritated, so that I get sore over an hour.. I am getting very done with that. I have been researching next steps... especially for riding. Potentially looking for "Active noise cancelling" technology. Speakers in helmet? Something with bluetooth. Control with cell phone? Equalizer spectrum control? -I dont need an intercom. - I have contacted Sena, but no go. - I'm at new helmet time, so looking for a good comnbination for the next 5ish years...
(Yea, I'm fishing :))

Great thread....

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been using ear plugs of various types at work, Howard Lazer Lites have worked the better so far. But in the last few months, my ear canals are now getting irritated, so that I get sore over an hour.. I am getting very done with that. I have been researching next steps... especially for riding. Potentially looking for "Active noise cancelling" technology. Speakers in helmet? Something with bluetooth. Control with cell phone? Equalizer spectrum control? -I dont need an intercom. - I have contacted Sena, but no go. - I'm at new helmet time, so looking for a good comnbination for the next 5ish years...
(Yea, I'm fishing :))

Great thread....
Active noise canceling devices offer zero hearing protection.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
But in the last few months, my ear canals are now getting irritated, so that I get sore over an hour.
Many people are not aware, and in case you are not, foam ear plugs are available in different sizes to accommodate different size ear canals. Maybe you ended up with ones that are to big for your ears. They are also available with different foam copositions which exert more or less pressure on the ear canal. Puruse Howard Leight's website to see what's available.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I haven't needed ear protection for some years now, since the Fall of 2014. The windscreen on our 1991 is a bit taller than stock and there is a veritable 'cone of silence', even at high speeds....bodywork doesn't seem to generate any whistles. Our 2006, is almost as quiet with the screen up beyond a point. So, long way of saying I haven't had a noise issue as a routine since I passed my unfaired early GL1000's along.

Top Bottom