Heat level in dash pockets?

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
First, let me say that my cell phone is always on me and never in a compartment or anywhere on my ST. And that has nothing to do with heat--it's all about safety and being able to call for help should I crash and get thrown from the bike down a hill or someplace out of sight and still be alive and conscious, but not able to get back to the ST.

I keep an assortment of stuff in my fairing pockets, for example, my right pocket right now has a couple of microfleece towelettes in the bottom in case I need to clean my shield and above those are an old-style stick air pressure gauge, the hex key for my Garmin cradle, some spare ear plugs, a ball point pen and a remote control for the garage door. Oh yeah, and I used to carry a pair of Rayban plastic sunglasses in it before they broke (nothing to do with them being in the compartment). Perhaps the towelettes provide some insulation.

In my left pocket I carry a Florida map, my black ST-Owners cap, an LED flashlight, a Mini-mag flashlight, some faceshield cleaner and perhaps a couple of other small items I can't think of. Why do I have two small flashlights? Partly to see how long they last in the heat of the compartment. I test them regularly.

So far, I have had not problems with any of the items above I've put in either compartment. Flashlights continue to light, garage door opener works, the small bottle of spray cleaner hasn't boiled over and the ball point pen hasn't oozed ink out.

But there is no way I would ever carry my digital camera, a cell phone or anything else of value in either of the compartments!! I use a small Joe Rocket magnetic tank bag for those items.

If anyone comes up with a really good way to lessen the heat in the compartments I know they will share it with the rest of us. :)

Top Bottom