heat problems continue

Bike
ST 1300
I haven't been on site for awhile, what is the latest and greatest news about heat problems. My thighs and other critical parts are burning up. I'm not a light-weight and this heat thing sucks in the summer.

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
I removed the inner cowlings from my bike. That was the cure. No more hot legs, no more oven temps in the fairing pockets. You won't believe the difference.

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
gotta be a 13.

i haven't made any mods to my 07, but i do have the mounted such that there is zero space between the seat and the tank. this eliminates the chestnuts roasting on an open fire syndrome.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
Thanks for sharing your experience with this issue. I have no idea how I navigated to the 1100 site. This is a huge site these days and growing all the time. I'm going to look into the inner cowling think right now. Catch you on the next wave chuckie

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
This heat thing just blows my mind. I just don't get it.

1. I haven't had to do anything to my 05.
2. I never even added the fairing deflectors.
2. I'm comfortable even when wearing tennis shoes and jeans.

All of the above is in temps over 100 many times including up to 113 degrees.

You guys are always telling others to do this or that, and to be sure to wear riding pants and good boots. I've never had to do any of those things

On top of that the heat poll shows around 85% don't find heat a problem.

So what the bloody H*ll gives?

If the bike caused me that much heartburn I be selling it like right now.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

You guys are always telling others to do this or that, and to be sure to wear riding pants and good boots. I've never had to do any of those things

A lot of it is the person. Some people are more sensitive to heat than others. I have felt the heat from the mufflers on the back of my feet on days hotter than 100*. But that's only when I have the balls of my feet on the pegs and I'm wearing sneakers. Otherwise no problem. Most of the areas where people have complaints of heat, I have felt on my bike. But for me personally, it doesn't bother me as I am more sensitive to cold than heat.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Something else may blow your mind:

- The ST-Owner who posted recently, reporting that he has two STs, one running cool and the other like an oven!

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
A lot of it is the person. Some people are more sensitive to heat than others. But for me personally, it doesn't bother me as I am more sensitive to cold than heat.
+1. Same here. I really don't have a problem w/ the heat, and I wear jacket, Sliders, and boots on every ride, even on 90+* days. All depends on your tolerance level.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
After my St1300 went in for service the tech sync'ed the thing he said and I have noticed that it feels cooler .
I didnt have a real problem before but it was really warm on somew days .
I chalked it up to riding a large motor.
Its not the Tacoma but it is a lot better after they serviced it at the shop

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
After my St1300 went in for service the tech sync'ed the thing he said and I have noticed that it feels cooler .
I didnt have a real problem before but it was really warm on somew days .
I chalked it up to riding a large motor.
Its not the Tacoma but it is a lot better after they serviced it at the shop
Same here. The sync resulted in the bike running noticeably cooler. No idea why though!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
+1. Same here. I really don't have a problem w/ the heat, and I wear jacket, Sliders, and boots on every ride, even on 90+* days. All depends on your tolerance level.
So how do you explain the member who has two STs, one hot, one not?

Same rider, same tolerance level.

And how do you explain riders who have been on several STs and noticed the difference in heat output from bike to bike?

Bike
2006 ST1300
curmudgeon: I have never expirenced a high speed wobble or had a thermostat fail so I can't understand why people discuss thoes issues they don't exsist because I have never expirenced them. Can you say tunnel vision. I am very happy you have never had a problem with heat but some of us have and we gather here to post what we have done to eliminate the problem as you say 85% don't have so 15% can't have it.If the bike caused me that much heartburn I be selling it like right now. What if we don't want to and we want to work something out therefore we post here. If the subject causes you so much problems then don't read the bloody thread you will be happier and we can get on with our discussion. I am not trying to be combative or snyde just realistic.
A+ WELL SAID.

Bike
'05 ST 1300
Good Morning, All.

I ride an 05 '13...I don't like the instability at speed that Honda exhibits compared to other bikes that I've owned that were rock solid...in the wind and rain that I've been riding in this week, the ST feels like a noodle going down the road COMPARED to another bike that I used to ride. I have to move my feet constantly due to the heat build-up when I'm toes on the pegs, tucked next to the bike...but this is compared to others bikes that I have owned where I didn't have to do this. When you put your hand on the side panel after a ride and it is very hot to the touch, there's no way that you can keep your foot next to that and not feel the heat....and it is hot.

No complaining, just saying...it is what it is. Count me as a 15%er.

It is the bike that does exactly what I need a bike to do, and I recommend them to all my riding buddies.:biker:

Last edited:
What I did to my 1300 a double layer of aluminum backed with air bubbles in the center from front of the tank to the back of the seats. Drilled the lowers wrapped headers and finaly put in the plastic void covers off the 08. Things that helped the most 1.the aluminum insulation 2. Drilling the lowers and 3.The void covers from the 08. I have a theory that we will never be able to illuminate the heat but we can direct the to the rear of the bike and out the back. The ST1300 is a Pan European sold in the US as a ST1300 in the US. The Europeans have no problem with heat because the bike was designed not to have 100% insulation factor because the Europeans have cold wet mornings thus they appreciate the heat. Also the high milers have more problems with heat than low mile riders. Or I just have these things instilled in my head to justify what I have done.
+1 on the insulation. The windshield position makes a difference also. Seems like when you get it where you have back pressure it pulls the heat up from the engine. I made a couple of spacers for the lower mounts and tilted the windshield some. Now when all the way down the wind hits my chest,not my head and it seems to pull cooler air from below. I also run the back of my seat 1 step lower than the front and it seals the gap at the rear of the tank better. Starter valve and throttle body sync helped also.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
What Curmudgeon forgot to mention is that at his age, most of his nerve endings are shot so you could poke him in the leg with an ice pick and he'd hardly notice it. :03biker:

John

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Well John is right about my being numb :D

Look guys don't get paranoid. All I was doing is stating facts and not making any judgement.

Fact #1---- I said I don't get it and then I asked what the heck is going on. Translation--(The perception of heat is still a mystery and nobody knows why.)

Fact #2----I said 85% in the poll don't find the heat to be a problem. I didn't say the other 15% are just imagining things

Fact #3----I said I don't have a problem, and if I did feel the heat like some say I would sell the bike post haste. There are many great bikes out there that don't have any complaints of heat, and I'd be checking them out.

I used to think it was an individual perception of heat, but have now talked to a couple of riders who have swapped bikes and had no problem of heat on the other bike. This seems to indicate there is a problem with certain ST's. If that's true the answer can't be to remove inner cowls, coat or wrap headers, etc. or it would be necessary to do these things to all ST's. We should be looking at things different about those particular machines. When I crashed some time back it caused the right middle fairing to bow out and leave a big gap between the fairing and the frame. I rode it damaged 50 miles to my house and boy did I feel heat that time. Really hot air was pouring out of the gap.
So have you gents with heat issues checked for tight fit where the fairing seals against the frame???
Just a thought, but I think it must be something like that or an engine issue causing something to be different about a few ST's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom