Heat That's too much heat-ST1300

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Unless you have the extended warranty your warranty is likely expired. (Normally 3 years/36K miles from date of purchase)
Ummm, my factory warranty was 3 years/unlimited miles. Extended warranty bumps you up to 7 years.

If you have the extended warranty, it's definitely worth going to the dealer. Without an extended warranty, it would depend on your relationship with your dealer. Some dealers will go above and beyond while others don't.

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html

Lean condition indicated by white plugs, discolored pipes, unusual amount of heat from pipes.

Do you have a Turbo City Fuel Pressure Regulator? Gives a little richer mixture, even though the computer will partially compensate.

That also makes me think a problem with the O2 sensor could be causing the computer to adjust the fuel mixture or timing incorrectly.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Definitely check the plugs. Idle doesn't necessarily tell you anything, as the fuel mixture changes with rpm, and idle is the easiest load on the engine. It'll run hotter at higher speeds, and any timing, plug, or mixture issues might not show up at idle.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300
The guy that I bought the bike from had some extra plugs with the bike. Do the plugs have to be tightened to a certain spec, or just tighten them snugg?

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300
Well, I got the spark plugs changed and it seems to run a little smoother. The spark plugs were pretty dirty. That right side rear plug is a pain in the butt, I had to just keep pulling and finally it came out, sort of like a baby ,but no one was pushing.:D We will see what happens now. I am suppose to go with a guy riding thursday. I will probably take it to the dealer to be checked out.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You never know... sometimes the simplest fixes work just great... if that bike has 62k on the orig plugs then could be the problem, fingers crossed.

You said your bike was running rough, if the knock sensors picked it up they will retard the timing, this will increase the exhaust temp. Some fuel injection systems retard the ignition timing by 7 deg max based on the ect sensor reading. They do it to increase exhaust temp to bring the cat(s) up to operating temp quicker. If the engine cleared and is running properly now. I would keep an eye on the exhausts but not dig in to deep yet. You can buy an infared temp. gauge at sears and check your exhaust temp right to left.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300
After hearing responses from others in this thread that makes all the sense in the world because it had not melted up until just recently when the bike was running so rough. I had just changed the oil and did not see the melting. I will still probably see if since the bike is under warranty still if honda will replace the bottom cowling.

I know it doesn't help you now, but I found it easier to remove the right plug by getting the screws loose on the fairing (not remove) so that I can gently tug on the plastic a bit to get more room to pull the plug.

After hearing responses from others in this thread that makes all the sense in the world because it had not melted up until just recently when the bike was running so rough. I had just changed the oil and did not see the melting. I will still probably see if since the bike is under warranty still if honda will replace the bottom cowling.
Maybe forget to tell them that you could have possibly had bad fuel!
You could mention that it was running a little rough so they'll check codes and give it a quick peek. Other then that "I don't know"

Bike
04-St,95-ultra
After reading all the coments on this issue i didn't catch if the plugs had ever been change in 62k or not. Did you pull all four and compare to see if all looked the same? If they are the original plugs after that many miles gap tends to widen causing longer spark duration and more burn time thus more heat. I could be wrong but the plugs should all be nice and tan with a correct gap and square edges on the electrodes.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300
The plugs had been changed he had some old one in the little spark plug boxes.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Bigman did you check and see if you have an exhaust leak near the melted area? If not I would also suspect the lean condition to have caused this.

Bike
ST1300
Rode mine in Utah tonight, nice evening ride. When I came off the mountain into 84 degree weather I noticed my legs getting hot... got home and was feeling quite hot so I put my hand on the frame above the pegs and the aluminum frame was hot! Not hot enough to burn your bare hand, but hot enough where you can't keep your hand on it for very long. Hotter on the right side than the left (not a lot). What is up with that? Is that too hot? Normal? Bike seems to run OK.

I just moved from Alaska to this warmer weather and am feeling the heat on this thing where before I didn't (in fact the heat was nice)... now it isn't so nice.

What is normal?

John

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Bigman did you check and see if you have an exhaust leak near the melted area? If not I would also suspect the lean condition to have caused this.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. It looks suspiciously like an exhaust leak to me. I would pull the muffler-pipe and replace the exhaust seal ring with a new one from Honda. Its a soft graphite type ring .

The clamp that holds it is notorious for having the bolts and threads strip so you may need a new clamp and bolts for that side as well.

It really does look like a hot exhaust stream, even a very small one was directed at that plastic.

Top Bottom