Heat vs Model Year

Hi All-

I thoroughly enjoy my 2000 ST1100, but have been considering the purchase of a newer bike. It hard to not consider the ST1300 for many reasons, however I am very leery of the heat issue that seems to be much more profound on the bike as compared to the 1100. I once owned a BMW K100LT that also had a problem with heat to the lower legs, and it got pretty miserable with temps over 75 degrees. Thus it got sold.

Are there certain model years of the 1300 that are better/worse for heat than others? Based on the variety of comments in this section of the forum, it appears that solutions vary and perhaps none work completely. If it’s a matter of a incorporating a couple of the suggest items like eliminating the cat, etc., to produce a 90 percent reduction of the excess heat, I would consider it. But it would also help to start with a model year that is the least of the heat offenders, if one actually exits.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tom

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
From what I've read all years are hot. The "fixes" are sporadic from owner to owner with nothing as the gold standard.
It's worth noting that the heat issue is also subjective with some folks saying it's awful and others saying "what heat issue?"

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
From what I've read all years are hot. The "fixes" are sporadic from owner to owner with nothing as the gold standard.
It's worth noting that the heat issue is also subjective with some folks saying it's awful and others saying "what heat issue?"
Early on I did some experimentation with the seat position. I found that the heat was very noticeable on hot days with the seat in the lower position. With the seat in the upper position, I hardly noticed the heat.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Likely this isn't much help....Mine is a 2006, seat set in the high position, everything else is stock (newer radiator cap, hoses and thermostat). Heat (I'm in Texas) from the bike isn't objectionable but is noticeable in stop and go traffic in the dead of summer when it's hard to distinguish what's worse, engine heat or heat radiating up from the hot road surface. Once moving again, it's just Texas hot...kinda like sitting in front of an open oven door with the temp set on 'broil'.
Most of my heat discomfort is ambient and not bike.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks guys. Does removing the cat actually help?
The heat is primarily engine heat which radiates back thru the aluminum frame. The cooling air that goes in the front thru the radiator basically comes out the side vents in the fairing. The 1300 generates a lot of heat to clear. Excess heat and airflow it can't exhaust as quick moves thru the rest of the nooks and crannies and is also passed thru conduction to the frame which radiates it out from the tank and the frame by your legs.

Removing the cat would have a negligible effect in my books.

Heat issue? Not with our 2003 or 2008. It's probably our Texas heat that hides whatever heat comes off the bike.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
From what I've read all years are hot.
My opinion here is that your location matters more than the year of the bike.
Heat issue? Not with our 2003 or 2008. It's probably our Texas heat that hides whatever heat comes off the bike.
I've ridden in 96F, and boy did I sweat. That was the environment (and my gear) more than the bike. I'm reasonably confident I'd have been in desperate need of a shower regardless of whatever bike I hopped off.

Equally, I've ridden in 21F, and was no warmer than riding any other bike.

FWIW, 2002 ST1300A in the UK.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Removing the cat would have a negligible effect in my books.
I don't think that my '04 is a particularly hot bike. It was a bit warmer before I removed the cat's (in favor of Del slip-ons),,, but I rode in knee shorts back then too. I removed the inner cowls early in my ownership,, to allow a greater volume of cool air to dilute the hot flows. My Corbin saddle does not leak hot air at the tank. It is not a given that an ST13 has to be unbearably hot,,, imho,,, CAt'

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I made an interesting discovery the other day. I normally always wear riding pants and I have made the comment several times my old Moto Guzzi was hotter than the ST1300. The other day I was just riding to the hardware store (city streets), so I passed on changing into my riding pants. I noticed the heat pretty quickly with jeans on and stop lights, not unbearable but definitely noticeable. The textile I guess deflects the heat or doesn't absorb it as well? Or... maybe they are just hotter and I don't notice the additional heat of the bike? Not sure, but it was surprising how hot it felt.

Anyway, this got me wondering if the difference is not the bikes, but what the gear the owners use and city vs highway driving? Probably never know for sure.
-Ryan

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I usually ride my other bike (naked SV650) during the hot months. I find that what you wear helps a lot riding the 1300 in hot weather. Heat Out undergarments with tight fitting riding pants help a lot. Never bothered to modify the bike. I do believe all years are the same.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Ive got a 2008 and I find its hot, only on my legs though. The tank doesn’t get hot, no matter my seat position.
I tried everything I could to tame the heat with moderate progress.
The engine is tuned as best that I can. New thermostat, antifreeze. I even went with Cats idea of cutting a hole in the front cowls.
The only thing that made a slight difference so far was to wear taller riding boots. These insulate my legs from the heat. I reach down and touch the front of my pants at the shin and you can feel “warm pants” but it saves my legs.
Another interesting thing happened lately. I adjusted 13 valves to the middle, high end of the range and since running it a few times in the yard, it’s noticeably not as hot? I never measured with a temp gun or ridden it yet, (recovering from back surgery) so It might just be in my head. I’ll get a better idea this summer.
Good luck with your purchase.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I even went with Cats idea of cutting a hole in the front cowls.
Whoa,,, not my idea. I removed my inner cowls,, which I expect would flow a ton more air than just cutting a hole in the inner cowls. What kind of a hole did you cut,, Kev ?? This is interesting,,,, CAt'

ps: I ride with 9" tall boot uppers too, for several good reasons. $25.cdn laser thermometer from Princess Auto is a great tool to add to the collection.

Bike
2006 ST1300
2006 ST1300 here, have tried all the heat reduction techniques I could find, none really helped a lot. Baker Air Wings made the biggest difference, flowing cooler air past the tank and top aluminum frame spars did cool them, at highway speeds, at least. Nothing much helps it at stop and go traffic speeds.
I did talk to Larry, ( @Igofar) and got advice from him, performed all the services he recommended, but no real difference. ( it did run well, though!!)
I did ceramic coat the headers, and wrap them with header wrap, but it made no difference. I really don’t think removing the cats would make much difference.
In the end, i kept the ST for cooler weather, and bought a cooler bike for hot weather. Win-Win!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Whoa,,, not my idea. I removed my inner cowls,, which I expect would flow a ton more air than just cutting a hole in the inner cowls. What kind of a hole did you cut,, Kev ?? This is interesting,,,, CAt'

ps: I ride with 9" tall boot uppers too, for several good reasons. $25.cdn laser thermometer from Princess Auto is a great tool to add to the collection.
lol....Oh yeah, you removed yours! :)
I just cut about a 6" square hole out of them. Didn't see any significant changes, so just left it alone.
I do have a temp gun which I will use this summer. My legs will tell me first if there is less heat I think. :)
To be continued....

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I ride my '05 ST1300 here in Texas pretty much all year and have not experienced the excessive heat problem. I find the ST engine heat less than on my V Star 1100.
I wonder what the differences are between the ST heaters and ST air conditioners? I would find it hard to believe that it's just the rider's tolerance to heat, but you never know? :)

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Didn't see any significant changes, so just left it alone.
Just a suggestion,,, you could take them (the inner cowls) out,,, and go for a ride to compare the results,,, vs the 6" square hole. If your not happy with the results,,, just put 'em back in. You must have had them out to cut the hole, no ?? I have been riding hard with mine removed for about 4 years. I think you will be safe for a day or two. There are several good posts on the details of how to do this. Klaproth finds that baker wings work well because they deflect a lot of cooler air towards the bike and rider. Removing the inner cowls allows a large volume of cooler air to bypass the radiator, so that it can then mix with, and dilute the other hot air sources. I have never had a 4th temperature bar come on,,, and the fans don't seem to work overtime either.

Removing the cat's in favor of slip-on's allows more heat to exit the tailpipes,,, vs radiating that heat from the restrictive catalytic conversion portion of the stock mufflers. Note the straw discoloration of that restrictive cat-zone,,, which indicates the higher heats (which is inherent and necessary for that process to function). Or just put on some decent boots,,, CAt

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The low seat position creates a gap that allows engine heat to rise up between the seat and tank. In all the discussions of how to abate heat I think I've seen only one where somebody thought of filling that gap somehow to block the heat.

My ST has never seemed particularly hot to me except on a hot day in slow traffic and even then not really hot.

Top Bottom