Heated grip advice

This old bike came with heated grips, which seem to be well installed. However, I'm opposed to all that auxiliary heating crap (it never ever gets below 40F here), which can break, have unintended consequences and flatten the battery. I'm strongly tempted just to strip it all away, but it does seem to be working and be correctly installed.
1) Am I an idiot?
2) Does anyone recognize the brand from these photos? It seems to have a three position switch labeled "low" and "high". The middle position seems to be off.
3) Who would take it off, and who would leave it?
4) Am I an idiot?

Attachments

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
1) ask your wife/partner or kids
2) It probably has a hi/lo position on the switch, the middle being off.
3) I would replace it with Oxford grips as the controller it comes with automatically shuts off when the voltage gets below 12 volts. The units are basic, probably work well and no real reason to change or strip them off.
4) see answer in #1

if you ride in the rain, heated grips are the bees knees. They keep your hands warm, which in turn allows you to concentrate better on riding. (Even if you live in a warm climate)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They are probably an aftermarket Symtec or Heat Demon pair of heating elements under the grips. I had a similar set on my 2005 ST1300 and have installed a pair on most subsequent motorcycles often soon after purchase. They never caused a flat battery or left me stranded. Wired to switched power they are off when the key is off and with another popular mod I have a voltage monitor to alert me when the electrical system is not charging. I would leave them as you might come to appreciate them. I live in Florida and many riders would say they are worthless and not needed in such a temperate climate. Well, I ride year round and like my comforts. One of them is wearing light weight mesh or solid deerskin summer gloves much of the year. I don't like bulky gloves and heating elements allow using what should be one season gloves for three seasons. I also travel on my bikes and could be in the cool of the Smoky Mountains with only a half days ride or in California in a couple of long days. On a rainy cool evening heated grips are not only a comfort but work to keep blood flowing even when light gloves get soaked. You would be surprised how just warm pair of hands warms the body core and makes what could be an uncomfortable few hours just another safe enjoyable ride.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If they work I'd leave them as they would be nice to have if needed and an extra if you decide to sell it.

However if you are completely opposed to them it's easy enough to just remove the power wire from the battery and not have to remove everything else. No worries about battery drain that way.

As for you being worried about them draining the battery there are a couple of options you could do.

1. remove it all.
2. simply disconnect the power from the battery and leave the rest as is.
3. put in a switched relay (if there isn't one now) that would only send power to the heated grip switch if the bike was on.

Good luck with whichever way you decide!

Bike
2010 ST 1300
I don't have heated grips but after reading this post I'm going to look into them as a maybe

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't have heated grips but after reading this post I'm going to look into them as a maybe
I have $125 Oxfords on the ST but I put $15 Amazon no names on my Kawasaki and they work almost as well. They are just not as "fancy" and didn't come with a wiring kit.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve come to like my creature comforts when riding. Heated gear is one of them. Even in the height of the summer when temperatures are high, but riding into a cold front, or an extreme change in elevation the temps can drop quickly and you can feel the chill. Being able to turn on some heated gear, is a comfort.
It will extend your riding season. If you ride early spring or late fall it’s a gorgeous day, then the sun goes down and the temp drops fast, you’ll be glad you had heated grips.
My other creature comfort when riding is Cruise control, my best farkle. …that’s another topic thread. ;)

Bike
2010 ST1300
If they are not a problem, and are installed properly, why pull them out? Most of us change as we get older. You might need or want to try them one day. I'd check the wiring to see if it is properly installed - wires in loom, properly sized and fused circuit, etc. If it passed my inspection, I'd keep it.

If you like them, and use them, then you can perhaps update them to Oxfords, with the variable heat settings.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This old bike came with heated grips, which seem to be well installed. However, I'm opposed to all that auxiliary heating crap (it never ever gets below 40F here), which can break, have unintended consequences and flatten the battery. I'm strongly tempted just to strip it all away, but it does seem to be working and be correctly installed.
1) Am I an idiot?
2) Does anyone recognize the brand from these photos? It seems to have a three position switch labeled "low" and "high". The middle position seems to be off.
4) Am I an idiot?
Maybe it never gets below 40F there, but that logic only applies if you never leave there? Conditions on a trip can vary widely. Having some extra heat in cool weather is nice.
I don't know the climate in your area, but I have been on many longer day trips that started off nice and warm only to have the weather conditions change unexpectedly and considerably. Since they are already installed, they would be really nice to have when it suddenly cools off and a cold rain starts. Cooler temperatures and 60 mph = wind chill. Your riding conditions may not justify purchasing and installing them if you didn't already have them but, they are already there, why not take advantage of them.

1) Yes, if you remove them. (You asked!)
2) Symtec Heat Demons.
3) Leave it. With a properly installed switched relay power supply they can not drain the battery.
4) Yes, if you remove them. (You asked!)

Put soft, comfortable and cheap BMW concentric grips over them and enjoy.
BMW Left: 32721458395
BMW Right: 32721458396

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
1) Am I an idiot?
4) Am I an idiot?
Maybe wire it into power that is off when the ignition is off. It's probably already that way. I always run a voltmeter, fused and with on/off switch to check voltage at any time. The lowest I've seen on a healthy charging system at speed is around 13.4 or 13.5 volts (sportbike Triumph TT600). You're probably safe down to 13.1 volts or thereabouts at speed although that would indicate a weak charging system and might be problematic at idle with a weak battery.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
You'll only be happy till you wished you had them. Leave it alone. Ain't broke...

OP
OP
Andy D
I'm still thinking about it. I think the power cable on the right hand grip may interfere with the Brakeaway throttle lock I was hoping to put on before my trip

Reactions: Obo

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Until it interferes, leave it. If it interferes, take 2 minutes and cut the wires out of the way. Continue with the installation.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
If you keep them, you should do something about the uninsulated terminals on the rear of the switch. They might never touch, but if they do, say hello to you unentended consequendes

Top Bottom