Heated grip advice

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you keep them, you should do something about the uninsulated terminals on the rear of the switch. They might never touch, but if they do, say hello to you unentended consequendes
If the installer used the supplied switches and terminal fittings that typically come with Symtec Heat Demons the female fitting to the switch power supply is insulated and all three positively lock with a little nib onto the male blades on the switch. I prefer the rocker switch over the toggle but I've used both on different bike installs. With any electrical farkle it is up to the installer to take certain universal precautions but the hardware here is not a short waiting to happen. On my 05 ST1300 I mounted the switch inside the right hand fairing pocket on the front vertical wall. To remove the right middle cowl with the fairing pocket I would have to unscrew the locking nut from the switch and push the switch out of the pocket and leave it dangling, then remove the fairing because the three wire terminals fit too tightly on the switch to reach up from under the cowl and pull free. You had a hard time getting them off the switch.

OP
OP
Andy D
main thing is that the first owner was an amateur electrician (or he paid an amateur electrician) -- inside the upper cowl and under the seat is (was), not exactly a rat's nest, but still tons of added on, outmoded, 2003 stuff: a communication system, a jacket heating outlet, heated grips, a second horn, led lights indicators (kind of cool, actually) for the turn signals, cigarette plug power outlet...most of it functional, and more or less neatly installed, but...

Reactions: Obo

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
.most of it functional, and more or less neatly installed, but.
I will admit some of my install of accessories needed something to be desired. Once I figured out what I really wanted I installed a separate fuse block for accessories and then did a right proper job of it. I labeled the proper gauge wires, installed relays where needed, proper connectors etc. I made it tidy as possible. There are some folk on this forum who are a true inspiration on the way they wire. I try and follow their lead.
Having auxiliary power to charge a phone these days is a priority, so I would try and accommodate that. Warning, don’t plan to charge your device in the fairing pockets as it gets too hot in there.
SAE connector to the battery for a trickle charger is something to consider.
The horn is good too, some require a relay.
I would keep the connector for heated gear, if it’s already there.
good luck

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I'm still thinking about it. I think the power cable on the right hand grip may interfere with the Brakeaway throttle lock I was hoping to put on before my trip
I had Symtec heated grips (likely an older model) and rode almost 200,000 trouble free kms with a Brakeaway throttle lock on my '07 ST1300.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's no reason to remove the grips just 'cos you don't use them.

But if it was my bike I would be treating all of his electrical add-ons with suspicion. I wouldn't want to have that length of live, unsupported and unprotected cable free to move around putting strain on the wire to the connector at the switch. It will eventually break off. It may or may not be live all of the time (don't assume) , but for sure it is live when the ignition is on.

At the very least disconnect it from where it gets its power until it can be sorted out.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
1. You decide

2. Symtec or Heat Demon. If they are powered by a relay activated from a switched source, they will not drain your battery, unless you leave them on with the ignition on, engine not running. I had these exact ones on my ST1300 for 18 years with no problems.

3. Leave them. Better to have and not need than need and not have. 40-60 degrees in the wet these things are worth their weight in gold. I am not fond of the switch install.

4. You decide

Top Bottom