heated grips ??

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
This is the main reason that I am looking at the Heat Demons- so I can put more comfortable BMW grips on. I find all of the aftermarket heated grips are rock hard and I see no reason why they need to be. I had a set of Hot Grips on a previous ST1100. They worked really well and got really hot really fast. The problem was they were rock hard to the point my hands hurt after long hours whereas they never did with the Honda OEM grips. I do wear gloves all the time. Why can't they make them with more comfortable grips?
If you are looking for softer grips try Pro Grip 714's. They say they are a vibration absorbing gel and I think they feel almost like silicon. And they grip great, even when wet. And only about $14.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-714BK-Black-125mm-Sport/dp/B000WO8MKY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=123GO9823OUSS&keywords=progrip+714&qid=1560344843&s=gateway&sprefix=pro+grip+714,aps,147&sr=8-1

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have you tried Grip Puppies?
No I haven't. I have no doubt that they are comfortable but there is no reason why the heated grips can't be less hard.
Here's what I got from Amazon -
Even after blowing the picture up I can't make out any numbers. Based on the switch it is a Symtec P/N 210019MT. I was just wondering if there was a P/N change as I saw claimed on some vendor sites.
try Pro Grip 714's
Thanks for the link. At that price they are cheaper than the BMW grips.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I haven't seen more than two pair of heated grips. Both of them were fairly hard rubber or some similar compound. I wonder if that's the nature of applying heat to rubber. The manufacture presumably (ok that may be a stretch) wants them to last if for nothing longer than the warranty period.

Grips over grids can be replaced anytime if damaged by the heat. Grips with grids that fail means replacing more with more difficulty and greater cost. Just a WAG.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
...there is no reason why the heated grips can't be less hard.
Except that they aren't. BMW "heated handles" aren't hard on the hands, but they are hard on the wallet. The hot tip (pun) for me is Symtec panels under Magura grips (spec'ed for a /5 era BMW) with Grip Puppies (or Grab-on covers) on top. Comfortable, grippy, cheap, and the heat comes through just fine.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use Rojen grips over my Symtec heaters because they are fat in the middle, skinny on the ends, mimic the shape of your hands, are cushioned and wear like iron.
After 3 hand surgeries on each hand, stuff like that becomes very important to me. :biggrin:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I already have a set of BMW grips so they will be going on over the Symtec elements.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use ProGrip 714s over my Symtecs on my Super Tenere and my Versys-X 300......it is a good combo for me.
If needed, I have the Velcro style Grip Puppies for use over the ProGrips. It would be great if Oxford or Bikemaster made heated grips with changeable outers.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
This means, I might have a warm or even hot palm but the tops of my fingers and hands got really cold and stiff. If I wore gloves that had a thick outer layer, then the palms were also insulated from the heated grips and I couldn't feel the controls or grips.
You'll find the heated gloves will be doing the opposite. Your knuckles are warm, your palms are cold. There is no heating element or even much insulation in the palms of electrified bike gloves.

Heated grips are great for cool weather riding, but you need both for cold weather riding.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
You'll find the heated gloves will be doing the opposite. Your knuckles are warm, your palms are cold. There is no heating element or even much insulation in the palms of electrified bike gloves.

Heated grips are great for cool weather riding, but you need both for cold weather riding.
Some gloves are made for heated grips where only the back side is insulated but not the palm. Held Warm n Dry along with the Revit Fusion for examples. There are others.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm thinking of getting the Coso Apollos.
A nice feature is being able to wire them directly to the battery if you want. They're turned Off at the switch but they'll shut Off if you forget to shut them down when the battery gets low. Obviously they can be used with a relay as with most other grips.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
So doing some serious garage time... finally getting around to doing the heated grips

Heat Demon p/n210019RR
No wiring diagram.. maybe it got tossed with the packaging?

there is a red lead that came with a 3 pole switch... center off - and a high pole and low pole side

three wires on each grip lead white red blue

any idea if my guess
white is common
red is high
blue is low? -

ohm meter show little to no resistance if bridged between any combination of the wires...
I'm puzzled... this isn't an airplane!

I'll be using the quartet harness... do I need a relay? wondering what the wattage is...
went to website... no diagram but it says 4 amps

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
ohm meter show little to no resistance if bridged between any combination of the wires...
Set ohm meter to lower scale. Will be measuring in single digits.
48 watts of heat (4 amps at 12volts) will be 3Ω of resistance.
I'm guessing each grip on high should have 6Ω of resistance. This will be your high setting.
Then measure another wire combination and see what you find, looking for about twice that.
Two combination of wires will be a little lower or the same, then the third will be the sum of the other two.

Higher Ω number is lower heat output.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Red - Gnd
White - High
Blue - Low

On the switch the top pin is Low and the bottom is High.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I have Oxfords on mine. I cant find a glue that last on the clutch side though. Tried hairspray first. It never dried. Cleaned all the hairspray out then used the glue provided with the grips. Failed after a couple of days. Tried high temp RTV next . Clutch side failed. Got pi$$ed used 2 ton epoxy on clutch side. Lasted several months then failed one day sitting in the heat in the parking lot. Would stop turning when it cooled down. Throttle grip failed last ride of the year (RTV). I twisted the throttle hard after pulling in front of a semi and I thought it was losing power? The grip was turning but the throttle wasn't. Think I'll try Super glue gell next. If that doesn't work I'll used drywall screws:mad:

Top Bottom