Help converting a close relative...?

My older brother has gotten back into motorcycling, after watching me ride for the last 4 years.

He has purchased a Honda Nighthawk in excellent condition (one of the last Nighthawk 750's made, from the '91 to '03 production run).

He is ecstatic to be back riding again, and is thrilled with his "new" bike.

What is his problem, you ask...?

He apparently would rather take a bullet than wear a helmet.

I gave him a very inexpensive hand-me-down helmet that I bought to take the first MSF class (which I did, and passed...thank you...along with the next MSF course as well). It is a white 3/4 helmet, and it's DOT approved (a Fulmer). He wears it only because helmets are required by law in his current state of residence.

This man is certainly old enough to understand the "impact" of his decisions--he's in his early 60's.

Amazingly, he is also very mechanically inclined. So one would think he would very easily see the physics involved, and readily accept the reality of what could happen.

But he is threatening to move to Florida, in part so he no longer has to wear a helmet.

Florida is one of those quirky states that has no helmet requirement for adults on motorcycles, yet requires you to buckle up in a car.....:confused:

Because of the above, he's not willing to invest the money to buy any of the quality helmets that we've come to know and love.....:(

I've explained to him (more than once, I might add) that the laws of physics are the same in every state, regardless of what follies the local politicians may put on their books.

Given how comfortable, quiet and otherwise technically advanced even inexpensive helmets are today--does anyone have any clever suggestion(s) as to how I can "convert" my older brother to the concept that a helmet not only allows one to ride longer and more comfortably (especially in cold and/or wet conditions), but can save your cabbage/bacon in a crash...?

BTW: for the record, I personally wear a Shoei RF-1000 (with the "axis yellow" color) and have every time I ride (yes, I do in fact practice what I am preaching). I also religiously wear a fluorescent orange safety vest (with reflective striping, front & back) over my black leather jacket or black riding suit. Loud colors (not pipes) save lives!!!...:cool:

Thanks, for your feedback on this matter...:)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's his choice... he's old enough to understand the ramifications of not wearing one.

You may not agree with his choice, I don't.... but, it's his to make... just like getting on a bike at all which many don't understand.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
It's his choice... he's old enough to understand the ramifications of not wearing one.

You may not agree with his choice, I don't.... but, it's his to make... just like getting on a bike at all which many don't understand.
+1 :(

From an ATGATT kind of guy...

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I wish I could convert every non-helmet wearer that I come across.....

That being said...he knows the risks. Do you want to cause issues between you and your brother over a helmet? I'd say remind him ever chance you get that you wish he would wear a helmet always.....but enjoy the time you can ride together

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Does he have a grandchild? Does he want to set someone a wise example? I've one, and his mom's a been-there-done-that orthopedic surgeon.

With a bike I've one strike against me already. Helmetless, I'd risk two.

Styles

Bike
Goldwing
You can lead a horse (or friends) to water, but you can't....OK you know that old line. Yeah it's a personal call sure, but not a good one either. Perhaps there is some new angle not considered....like sporting something on the helmet that's important to him? Maybe if grandkids or others presented him with one "to ___from___" kinda thing, or emblems/slogans of meaningful STuff to the rider, perhaps he would at leaST try one for a time?? Sorry, juST a creative approach. If you can't win 'em over or beat 'em into submission.....TRICK 'em.:ggw1:

Bike
ST1300
I agree with the others; it's his choice. I always wear one. I'd wear seat belts and helmets even if not required. Unlike you, I don't think the odd thing is states that require seatbelts and not helmets. To me the odd thing is that a free people tollerate either being mandated.

It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know they'll outlaw pie for being fattening!

OP
OP
Perhaps if we both went on an extended ride (dare I say, a tour...:)..) where we both encountered multiple state lines and wet and/or cold conditions, could it finally get the message across that real riders wear real helmets...???

Also: I gather a full-face or modular helmet is required to truly keep rain/moisture away from headset equipment....(which he wants, btw).

Thus far, he's been one of these types who rides only for local short hops, and when the weather is nice (could he be a "poser"?...;)..). Until he buys more serious riding gear, I think his Nighthawk will largely be a "garage queen".

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
One more 'personal choice' +1...

He is old enough to understand the additional risk involved and, while I always wear a helmet now, I don't ever take issue with those that choose not to. I have ridden tens of thousands of miles with no helmet or other gear and so I feel like it would be pretty hypocritical if I made an issue out of that choice.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
well carrying a bullet with you while you ride won't do you much good as a head hitting the pavement at 60 mph with no helmet. In the end uh both will be useless...:eek:

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I rode on demo rallys in the old days against the compulsory wearing of helmet law. I wore a helmet whilst riding the demonstrations and always will do, but I do belive it's a personal choice. I hope your brother maybe changes his mind and decides to go ATGATT. I would be very subtle when handing out advice though.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

+1 If you keep beating him over the head about a lid, you'll just push him away further. Eventually he'll get smacked by a bug, or worse, a rock and he'll see the light :rolleyes:

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
When it comes to relative the route is rather simple.

You can offer valid medical proof, solid physical evidence and stats all you want, but honestly you're probably best to take the following route.

Simply tell your brother that you love him, you want him around and it will kill you to lose him to something as simple as not having a helmet on when he needed one. If he has a guardian bell on his bike he most likely puts more value on superstition than fact sometimes and honestly, I wear a helmet partially for that reason as well.

So, be honest. Tell him you want him to wear a helmet for your sake. ;)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
There are lots of valid comments here, and as Tourin says, you can lead a horse to water.... so keep on leading by example, and perhaps you might want to send a letter to the Florida legislature to consider changing the helmet requirements.

STOC #
This is a hard topic to deal with. I also have some very dear friends who ride that don't use a helmet at all, or only use it some of the time. As others have mentioned, all you can really do is make sure they are aware of the risks (and it sounds like he is) and lead by example.

This image shows where helmet damage was found after motorcycle accidents. It may help make your case... it helped me explain to my wife why she needed a full face helmet and not a lid or 3/4 helmet.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Images/helmetDamage.gif
(Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Department of Traffic Accident Research, Germany)
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Helmets.html

IF you think he needs a wakeup call, you could show him this Xray from a guy who didn't wear his helmet.

WARNING - the following link contains a 3D Xray image of a non-helmet wearing rider's injuries. There's no blood or guts, but the image is still cringe-worthy. - WARNING
WARNING - do not click this link if viewing accident results makes you ill. - WARNING
WARNING --- http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/ --- WARNING

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Show him this site. Then go to all the threads like Karen's, her husband Mike's (Twilight Error), Dennis (Pretbek), ..... and so on. And tell him these are friends that you still have because of helmets and other protective gear. Then tell him you would prefer to see him survive an accident and ride again than the alternative.

There are several cousins on the wife's side and even her brother that run around on their Harley's helmetless and in T-shirts. I'm glad to say that my Father-in-law just bought riding jackets for him and the mother-in-law this week. They ride with my wife and I and see that the jackets are not that big of a hassle and when my wife had another slow to no speed laydown on the last trip she got up out of the stones with no blood leaking out of her elbows.

Top Bottom