Help converting a close relative...?

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
I understand your fears, my brother doesn't like to wear his helmet either...however he is a big boy and understands the dangers. I would not like to imagine the worse but also would not miss the good times we have riding together! :) Your example is the best teacher not harping on him.
One observation about ATGATT....A lot of riders who preach this (I mean no offense :bow1:) seem to ride a little more aggressive just because they believe they are protected. I know when I wear the full face helmet I don't notice the things around me as much and I get "surprised" sometimes by cars coming up around me. So sometimes the less I wear (gear wise! ;)) the more careful I am!

Just my thoughts....

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I understand your fears, my brother doesn't like to wear his helmet either...however he is a big boy and understands the dangers. I would not like to imagine the worse but also would not miss the good times we have riding together! :) Your example is the best teacher not harping on him.
One observation about ATGATT....A lot of riders who preach this (I mean no offense :bow1:) seem to ride a little more aggressive just because they believe they are protected. I know when I wear the full face helmet I don't notice the things around me as much and I get "surprised" sometimes by cars coming up around me. So sometimes the less I wear (gear wise! ;)) the more careful I am!

Just my thoughts....
I have to disagree with the line of thought that riders aggressiveness levels rise with the amount of gear they wear. I don't want to crash or get hit by a car riding with full ATGATT anymore than I would riding with shorts and no helmet? Either scenario could end in death or serious injury.
JMO.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Go for a ride with him, stay in front and flick lit cigarettes at him.....

But seriously, as has been said, he is an adult and is allowed to make his own decisions. I have a close friend that won't wear a helmet when he rides. I don't harp on him about it. *I* would prefer that he wears a helmet; even offered him one of my old helmets for free! He would rather quit riding than wear a helmet, so instead of it being an item for debate, we RIDE!

He hit a deer a couple months ago; somehow managed to keep the bike up (Suzuki Cavalcade) and he walked away uninjured. I don't know if this woke him up to ATGATT, or reinforced his point that he doesn't *need* a helmet; time will tell.

Bottom line: HIS CHOICE. Just keep providing "positive reinforcement" with regards to ATGATT.

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have to disagree with the line of thought that riders aggressiveness levels rise with the amount of gear they wear. I don't want to crash or get hit by a car riding with full ATGATT anymore than I would riding with shorts and no helmet? Either scenario could end in death or serious injury.
JMO.
Well....maybe it's just me! I get a "tad" more aggressive with a "full armor" on than not. :guages1:

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
All you can do is set a good example. Some of my friends are starting to buy a wear more gear all the time. Sometimes adults need adult supervision. If they don't want to spend $800+ for a gear maybe be thats more than they think they are worth. I'll bet it would be worth more to their children. Keep trying to get them to see the light.

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
You should also tell him that in Florida you must carry a MINIMUM of $10,000 of medical coverage in addition to being at least 21, in order to legally operate or ride on a motorcycle sans helmet.
I guess the only thing left is keep on him about it. Either one of two things is going to happen. He'll either wear one or he won't.

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Instead of pointing out the danger or consequences of not wearing one, I think I would point out the positives or benefits; stories like Karen's or Mike's or my hitting a Moose with my helmet wearing head at 70MPH and we are still around to ride another day.
After my little "incident", I bumped into a friend in the grocery store parking lot. Andy, who also has been riding for over 30 years and has gone through a period when we did not have to wear lids and chose not to. He has a decal on the back of his skull cap/helmet, that opposes helmet laws. He told me he'd heard about my crash and asked how I was. Considering everything, I'm doing good, but after that experience, I would rethink that little sign on your helmet. Man-o-man, he blew a gasket and tore a strip off of my *****; he didn't talk to me for months... He knows, no sense to nag once you've made your point.
Maybe if you showed him a cool small helmet, it might get him to take baby steps towards real protection: http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/ModelDetails.cfm/Search/Results/ManuID/2296/Model/GM 55

Ride your ride, share your knowledge, experience and opinion, respect your differences and let it go.
Grizz

Bike
93 ST1100 ABS
I live in SD - helmets not required if you are over 18.

As an MSF instructor, I inform students about the risk and then I have two comments for them.

First, I remind them that no one knows if it is their day to have an accident. If this is their day, they will be wearing whatever they had on when they left the garage. I urge them to buy the helmet that will spend the most time on their head. The helmet that was left in the garage does them no good.

Second, regarding the price of the helmet: Think about the value of your head. If you have a $20 head, all you need is a $20 helmet.

My $0.02.

Top Bottom