Help with exhaust problem

Hi all,

First post here, so be gentle! ;)

I'm having a strange problem with my exhaust on my 1990 ST1100 and I've tried loads of places (inc Honda) for help, and I'm still stuck!

So basically:

I was taking off my old exhaust.
Just at the collector box there is a bolt (part #958010804507) which connects the exhaust to the underside of the bike.
The bracket that is on the bike which this bolt goes through snapped off completely, meaning the new exhaust has nothing to secure to.
Unfortunately (due to a stupid friend), I don't have the snapped off bracket to weld back on.

This is my issue:

Where/how/what is the actual bracket?? I can't find it on any picture, I can't see it on any parts diagrams, I don't know to replace it.. It's not on the main frame, I can't see it listed anywhere!

My local Honda dealer is next to useless.

Does anyone have any ideas before I have to start full fabrication of a part that doesn't seem to exist!

TIA

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
OP
OP
the cueball
Thanks Roger, that's the same file I already have.. and the same exhaust.. lol

No-one seems able to find this hanging down frame bracket, it's honestly like it doesn't exist..

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Are you talking about the bracket that secures part #7 on the fiche? That's not a separate bracket, but an integrated part of it. If it broke off, you'll need to find a way to weld a replacement bracked on it...that's also the bracket you can see on the right side of the picture in reply #2 above

OP
OP
the cueball
Yeah the bracket on the BIKE that secures #7.

It's not the bracket in the picture above, that's the exhaust! it's the bracket on the bike that the exhaust bolts to.

So you take #7, you offer it up to the underside of the bike and use #14,15,21 and 29 to secure it to the bike using a bracket..... it's that bit, on the bike, that bracket that is broken off.. and I can't find out anything about it.

It's not an integrated part of the frame that I can see... I can't see it at all on any parts diagram!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In relationship to the length of the bike, is it near the front pegs or the back pegs?
I've replaced the exhaust system on one of my ST1100s and I can't remember (but I do remember the hanger).
I'll be glad to try to take a shot from underneath if you can help locate it for me.
I've got to change oil in one of mine and I can probably get a picture then but they will be a day or two.
Right now I can lay a camera underneath easy enough and take shot, but I need to know the approximate position to place the camera.

OP
OP
the cueball
Thanks uncle Phil…

It’s just at the front/top of the collector box, so where the rear link pipes fit into exhaust….

I guess I would say just behind the front pegs, under the seat area… around there…

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Look on ebay at st1100 frames. Is this what you are asking about? Screenshot_2021-06-17 1994 HONDA ST1100A ABS FRAME CHASSIS (C) EZ REGSTR CLT eBay.png

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The “tab” that the muffler bolts onto is a welded on part of the frame. I watched an R&R aftermarket muffler install at a Pardeeville TechSTOC once. They tightened the manifold bolts first and the parts didn’t line up at that tab under the ST1100 then. Loosened the manifold bolts and then got the underneath parts to fit, followed by a final torque at the manifolds.

I find it a little hard to believe that frame tab actually broke off. There should be tell-tale evidence of the damage.

FWIW

John

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
@Uncle Phil you're not wrong. Not a job for ya smart pants.
As per the others and as you seem to know @the cueball the only way to go forward is to fabricate and weld on a bracket. Lord knows why anyone would cut it off. But you can't cure stupid.
Hope these pics might help but I feel someone needs to take the measurements from a stripped frame to be of any real help. Thinkin out loud would it be possible to fabricate a bracket that you could then clip onto the cross piece of the frame, maybe with a couple of good strong jubilee clips.
Good luck, I think you'll need it.
Upt'North.
20210618_090455_025.jpg

20210618_090629.jpg

OP
OP
the cueball
Cheers all.

I was hoping it was from a mount that bolted onto the frame somewhere...

The bike is about to get striped and put onto my ABBA Skylift and I've got a bare frame off Ebay on it's way to me...

Just hopefully a case of getting the boys toys out and getting it sorted...my frabrication skills are on par with a blind elephant though

The bike is only 31 years young and 100k miles.. I'm not ready to give it up yet!

Appreciate all the help, as i said, the local Honda dealer were useless and my local Pan club were pretty much clueless as well...

OP
OP
the cueball
6AFFEB14-8975-4E60-96EF-A0B7C33CD05F.jpeg

Just picked it up a few months back, great bit of kit and works better for me than a traditional lift… although I still would like one of them too!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Lord knows why anyone would cut it off. But you can't cure stupid.
As I read it the bracket snapped under disassembly and that a friend binned it or otherwise made it unusable. It would seem a rather stout piece to be "snapped off". It would be interesting to see pics of the frame and if there's any significant rust damage.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been looking at the various pictures of this mounting point. Am I wrong in seeing that it is a tube with a rubber bushing that allows a 'soft' (call it cushioned) mount for the exhaust system? If this is the case, @the cueball has more of a task than simply welding on a simple steel tab with a hole in it.

Top Bottom