Hip Joint replacement experience wanted

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I was supposed to get right hip joint replaced last October but didn't because of COVID situation in hospitals then . Family sort of pressuring me to , since winter snow shoveling & snow blowing is over .

How soon can you get back on a MC?
Can you swing or get your leg up & over the seat now without screwing up your new joint ?
Can you still hold up that side of the MC ?
Can you ride all day again without issues with that joint ?
Please give an account of your experiences .....Thank you

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have a replacement right hip. I need the left one done now, but I'm waiting a while.

I've always been a quick healer, and have always had the attitude that, if I was ever told I wouldn't be able to walk after a bad accident, I would prove the doctors wrong. I expect it of myself, and just get up and go.

I found using a walker was best by keeping it closed, and rolling it next to me like a cane on wheels. I was walking without cane, crutch, or walker by my three-week checkup, but I was still walking cautiously.

By the time I was able to walk normally, about 6 to 8 weeks, I could ride my Nighthawk (didn't have the ST yet). Swinging the operated-on leg is actually easier than pivoting on it is. Just treat your leg as if it's weaker, not broke.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
If possible,try to get the anterior approach. Much less soft tissue damage due to the surgery resulting in a much quicker rehab time. I have personally not had it but I have several acquaintances who have and all have essentially normal joint movement. The most remarkable one was a friend who had both hips done at the same time, in June, and was standing, doing surgery within 7 days and was skiing moguls in January, totally pain free. My brother, the physiotherapist, says there is no comparison between anterior approach and the others when it comes to time it takes to regain relatively normal function.

This approach takes special training and special equipment so some surgeons will try to steer you away from it simply because they can't do it.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I have had both hips done, six and seven years ago. Let me confirm one important thing, if your doctor is not doing the anterior approach run out the door and find one who has been doing a lot of them. Only one night in hospital, used a walker for a few days. no cane or crutches, driving a stick shift car after four days. The old approach went in the butt or side cutting the tissue that actually holds your leg on. I could bend my leg fully and even cross my legs within a couple of days, if you did this with the old procedure your femur ball would pop out of the hip and you were in big trouble. I am 86 now so I was in my late seventies at the time. I rode a lot until I quit riding at 84. I never crashed, but I have tripped and fallen several times with no problem. When I got the titanium hips not many doctors had learned the anterior approach. It takes special training and a special "Hanna" table at the hospital. GO for it!

Ed

My grandmother was the first woman and only the third person in the UK who had a hip replaced. And did she suffer, a constant 30 year intense pain, the replacement was replaced three times and each time the pain got worse. My Father had his hip replaced and walked with a lot of trouble, he never let you know but his eyes told the story of the pain he was in.
The doctor has already told me that at some point in the near or far future my knee will need an upgrade, but from what I know I will push it for as long as I can.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My best friend John had one replaced, and was walking within hours. He only rides sporadically, but IIRC, he was back on in 3 weeks.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
.............. my knee will need an upgrade, but from what I know I will push it for as long as I can................
Just about everyone I know who has had a joint replaced, typically a hip or a knee, delayed and delayed their procedure until they were in great pain and their mobility was substantially reduced. To a person, each said that they have made a mistake and should have had their surgery done much ealier and that they had suffered needlessly.

As noted above, there are new techniques for hip joint replacement that dramatically improve recovery time. Check these out and ensure your surgeon uses them. The other thing is that all orthopaedic surgeons are not equal. I'd check out the number of procedures he/she does per annum (the exact procedure you're to have), the infection rate for the surgeon and the hospital and the surgeon's revision rate. Also check out the brand and the type of implant to be used, it's expected life cycle as well as it's reputation for quality and durability as there have been lot's of issue will implant systems that simply have not performed as intended.

Just about everyone I know who has had a joint replaced, typically a hip or a knee, delayed and delayed their procedure until they were in great pain and their mobility was substantially reduced. To a person, each said that they have made a mistake and should have had their surgery done much ealier and that they had suffered needlessly.

As noted above, there are new techniques for hip joint replacement that dramatically improve recovery time. Check these out and ensure your surgeon uses them. The other thing is that all orthopaedic surgeons are not equal. I'd check out the number of procedures he/she does per annum (the exact procedure you're to have), the infection rate for the surgeon and the hospital and the surgeon's revision rate. Also check out the brand and the type of implant to be used, it's expected life cycle as well as it's reputation for quality and durability as there have been lot's of issue will implant systems that simply have not performed as intended.
So no getting a 3D printer and going DIY then?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I haven't personally had a hip replacement - but a number of riding buddies have and so I can report, based on their experience, that the recovery is fairly fast (weeks not months) and the results can be absolutely excellent in terms of functionality post-surgery. One pal actually had both knees done and then the next year he had both hips done (he sort of the $600 man I guess) - and he told me that on a scale of 1-10, the knees were an 11 and the hips were a 4. He oughta know, I guess.

I do have personal experience with a knee replacement and I can confirm his ratings that a knee replacement is a whole different kettle of fish.

Despite what you might imagine, the total knee replacement surgery is much more intrusive, with a much higher risk of infection (this is an extremely serious concern BTW) and the post-op pain and recovery is much tougher than for a hip. The first week or so after a total knee-job is truly no-joke - so take the pain meds they give you because these will enable you to do the exercises that are absolutely vital to avoid winding up with a frozen knee or limited range of motion. Keeping the knee (or hip) moving in the first few days following surgery is crucial to your final recovery.

For either a hip or a knee, if you stick it out and do your exercises ALL THE TIME - you will recover quite quickly and well, even from a knee replacement. I had my knee replacement surgery on Jan. 19, 2019 and was able to drive a car about 5 weeks later and when the snow cleared here in SW Ontario in late March, I was back on my bikes (I wasn't kick-starting the olds ones, but I could certainly ride safely). I did my customary 2000km / 5-day tour with my riding buddies on my ST1300 in late-May-early June and had a great time. By the mid-spring, I could go up and down stairs without pain and my canes are all sitting idle in the closet now for the first time since I was injured in a fall in 1973 at the age of 15.

At this point, I feel great and walk 5km nearly every morning.

For both types of joint replacement, your recovery will depend nearly entirely on how diligently YOU do your prescribed exercises and physiotherapy. If you follow the physiotherapists instructions and work hard, you will recover quickly and well - and if you don't, you won't....and as with most things, you'd have only yourself to blame. Overall, if I needed another knee replacement, I would do it without hesitation. The best time IMO is early January as there is nothing else to do around here because of the weather, and it shouldn't affect the riding season at all.

My doctor told me that I could NOT overdo the exercises. The only thing he warned about was twisting my knee while it was bearing my weight - otherwise, go for it.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've been reading up on Hip Joint Resurfacing , as opposed to the more evasive Hip Joint Replacement , we talked about above .
Anybody with experience / knowledge with the resurfacing method ?

Bike
2014 ST1300
With respect to rehab, do only as much as advised, i.e. follow doctor/physio recommendations/orders. My knee doc told me that he has had multiple patients, exclusively male, that decided they knew better, went too hard in rehab due to excess testosterone and ended up worse off than if they had just stuck to the schedule.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Hello Tournut, It been well over a year now that I had A right total hip replacement done Side entry. Hip was replace about 1:00 pm got back to my room by 5:00 pm therapy was closed had to wait until next morning. 7:00 am went to therapy with my walker hip felt good, did three steps up with my walker and three steps down, they wanted to make sure I can do steps before I go home. Handed my walker to the nurses and said I will walk back to my room on my own. They said they seen only one person ever do that and I said here is number two. So I walked back to my room on my own. Discharged by 9:30 am. Keep moving after your replacement walk walk walk!!! I was back to work in two weeks. 2 1/2 months I was back on my goldwing.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks for the replies . I was actually researching the Hip joint resurfacing method that doesn't hack off your femur ball & then drill deep down into the femur .
Resurfacing just replaces the missing , worn-out cartilage , only . Not as invasive . less possible side effects / complications .
Hoped others here might have had experience with that type of hip joint fix .

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I cannot get over the Subject / Title of this post.
Not since you first posted, in fact -- and I keep coming up with the same answer:
I, for one, do NOT! want this experience!!

Top Bottom