Hip Joint replacement experience wanted

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
... but from what I know I will push it for as long as I can.
I had a total knee replacement in November 2015. Like you, I wanted to hold off initially. When I walked into the pre-surgery info briefing, I looked around and saw a bunch of geriatrics. They were OLD. I said to myself, maybe we're being a bit premature on doing this. And when I had the last appt with my surgeon, he said there are two ways we can proceed. Plan A is to take out the cartilige that's giving me the problem. That sometimes will last up to 3 years. Plan B is a total knee replacement. I said then let's go with Plan A. That's when he said that in my case, Plan A would only last six months. Okay, then what I asked. Plan B, he said. So we did it.

The surgeon makes an incredible difference. The nurses would ask me who was my surgeon and I'd tell them. Each time, they said "You're lucky". Finally the following day, I mentioned to one of the therapists when she gave me that reply that they probably said that to all the patients. She thought for a moment and said, "The man in the bed next to yours has been here 24 hours longer than you and can barely make it to the bathroom at the foot of the bed. You were doing laps around the floor the afternoon of your surgery." It makes a difference.

As someone already mentioned, stay ahead of your pain meds. They gave me some kind of pouch with a drip feed into my leg. That ran out on Sunday evening and I was really happy to get rid of this thing. The next morning was my first physical therapy session. I was in a rush to get in the car and didn't take my pain meds during the night like I was supposed to. By the time I got to the physical therapist, I was in so much pain that I was ready to cry. I learned a lesson that day that I never had to repeat.

Your effort in physical therapy will make a lot of difference. I had my appointments twice a week. I'd push myself to the point I was in pain afterwards till the evening before the next appointment...then I'd do it all again, pushing myself and then hurting for the next several days. But I was able to ride my Honda NT700V to the physical therapy sessions in about three weeks. Four months later, I was hiking with my daughter and son-in-law on a 4 mile hike with no problems. A couple years later, I took a trip on my bike tn a cross-country trip that led me through Zion National Park. I hiked up to the East Observation Point. Here's a picture. You start way down at the bottom where you can't even see the road, just a stream bed.

1633362045333.png

I could never have done that with my OEM knee. Bottom line...if you need the joint replacement and don't get it...you're keeping yourself from experiencing a lot of life.

Chris

Last edited:
Bike
2014 ST1300
Had a buddy that needed hip replacement, mid 50's. The doctors kept putting him off, saying he was too young. By the end, he was hobbling with a cane. Pushed them to get it done and afterwards, night and day. He skis probably 80 days a year and golfs that as well, along with waterskiing and wake surfing. I get waiting as long as you can but we also have a finite amount of healthy time. No point waiting on getting the replacement for the time when all you can do is walk to the mailbox and back.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The surgeon makes an incredible difference. The nurses would ask me who was my surgeon and I'd tell them. Each time, they said "You're lucky".
I spent 3 summers working in a hospital operating room as a clerk when in school. Full teaching hospital with, at that time, about 800 beds. If you want the real low down on surgeon's skills speak to an OR nurse. I can tell you they have definite opinions about a surgeon's skill level, the length of time it takes for them to do a procedure vs. other surgeons, the number of times a patient has to return to the OR because the first procedure was not done properly, high mortality and complication rates for some surgeons, high infection rates, continuing to use outdated techniques etc. etc..... Surgeons most definitely do not have the same skill level, some are great, some are terrible.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks to COVID & the last 2 months of delay by Surgeon's schedule , due to COVID , It has been a full year since I knew I needed hip replacement , The last 2 months has been really painful , I am really resistant to pain meds - they do next to nothing for me . I found out on the 3 shoulder surgeries , I could quit the heavy drugs in about 2 days post-op , they only made me feel "off" , not pleasant , but I don't get addicted either that way . After the 2 first , bad surgeries on my shoulder with what turned out to be a quack , in reviews , I researched surgeons for the 3rd operation ,who fixed all the problems the first guy caused & his bone tether has held for 5 1/2 years now , ( instead of 5 weeks & my collar bone was sitting 1" on top my shoulder again ! - of the first guy ) So I researched Surgeon for this hip operation too , pretty impressive credentials , younger , more up-to-date series of ortho surgery schools , so , hopefully ....

Last edited:
I had a total knee replacement in November 2015. Like you, I wanted to hold off initially. When I walked into the pre-surgery info briefing, I looked around and saw a bunch of geriatrics. They were OLD. I said to myself, maybe we're being a bit premature on doing this. And when I had the last appt with my surgeon, he said there are two ways we can proceed. Plan A is to take out the cartilige that's giving me the problem. That sometimes will last up to 3 years. Plan B is a total knee replacement. I said then let's go with Plan A. That's when he said that in my case, Plan A would only last six months. Okay, then what I asked. Plan B, he said. So we did it.

The surgeon makes an incredible difference. The nurses would ask me who was my surgeon and I'd tell them. Each time, they said "You're lucky". Finally the following day, I mentioned to one of the therapists when she gave me that reply that they probably said that to all the patients. She thought for a moment and said, "The man in the bed next to yours has been here 24 hours longer than you and can barely make it to the bathroom at the foot of the bed. You were doing laps around the floor the afternoon of your surgery." It makes a difference.

As someone already mentioned, stay ahead of your pain meds. They gave me some kind of pouch with a drip feed into my leg. That ran out on Sunday evening and I was really happy to get rid of this thing. The next morning was my first physical therapy session. I was in a rush to get in the car and didn't take my pain meds during the night like I was supposed to. By the time I got to the physical therapist, I was in so much pain that I was ready to cry. I learned a lesson that day that I never had to repeat.

Your effort in physical therapy will make a lot of difference. I had my appointments twice a week. I'd push myself to the point I was in pain afterwards till the evening before the next appointment...then I'd do it all again, pushing myself and then hurting for the next several days. But I was able to ride my Honda NT700V to the physical therapy sessions in about three weeks. Four months later, I was hiking with my daughter and son-in-law on a 4 mile hike with no problems. A couple years later, I took a trip on my bike tn a cross-country trip that led me through Zion National Park. I hiked up to the East Observation Point. Here's a picture. You start way down at the bottom where you can't even see the road, just a stream bed.

1633362045333.png

I could never have done that with my OEM knee. Bottom line...if you need the joint replacement and don't get it...you're keeping yourself from experiencing a lot of life.

Chris
I´m not there yet, I´t only on occasion that I notice a twinge and nothing that gives me any major discomfort... Yet!
But it was after having an xray during a serious bout of gout that the doc told me that at some point in the future, it will have to be done. It was a warning, it is something that is on my radar, thing is I am over 150 kgs and they won´t do anything unless I get way under 100. This is worrying as I am a big guy and I have never been under 100 since I was 20-odd and looking like a bread stick on legs.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
thing is I am over 150 kgs and they won´t do anything unless I get way under 100. This is worrying as I am a big guy and I have never been under 100 since I was 20-odd and looking like a bread stick on legs.
I've had both my knees replaced (sports injuries and arthritis - 2010 & 2011) when I was 'north' of 125 kgs.
I walked 3 miles this morning with no knee problems.
My only regret is that I can no longer run (safely due to damage to the prothesis) because I was a long time runner and loved it.
I've also had both wrists 'rebuilt' along the way and both elbows worked on.
I'm now facing getting both shoulders replaced soon because they are bone on bone and the left socket is worn out on the backside.
My hips are about the only major joint that still seems to be in good shape.
When how something is going to affect a body 'part' is the first thought when you go to do something, it's time to get it fixed if it can be fixed.
The good thing is if I average my OEM parts with the age of my 'replacement' parts, I'm a really young man on the average! :biggrin:
We are blessed in this area with excellent medical care - especially ortho stuff.
My particular docs only focus on one area of specialty so they are good at what they do.
I have a shoulder doc, a hand/elbow doc, and a knee doc.
Don't have a head doc yet ... :think1:

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I´m not there yet, I´t only on occasion that I notice a twinge and nothing that gives me any major discomfort... Yet!
But it was after having an xray during a serious bout of gout that the doc told me that at some point in the future, it will have to be done. It was a warning, it is something that is on my radar, thing is I am over 150 kgs and they won´t do anything unless I get way under 100. This is worrying as I am a big guy and I have never been under 100 since I was 20-odd and looking like a bread stick on legs.
I went from 385 lbs, 52 in waist to 235 lbs, 38 in waist before my hip replacement, and I've kept it off for 15 or so years now.

I'll be happy to share my experience and methods if you're interested.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Well , I just got home , & still alive ! Surgeon put in as large of size hip joint he has done , ( I have massive bones , I've been told years ago .) & weigh 245 lbs. , 6'3". Gave me a spinal - no problem. But kept me over night because they had me sitting up late afternoon to start P.T. & I lost half my blood pressure in about 2 minutes . This morning that didn't happen again so they released me after I was doing great - walking , stairs , etc. during P.T..

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, I suppose I'm glad(?) you got the Hip Joint Replacement Experience you wanted(?)
Seriously, I hope you get the relief you're after.
Sounds like you are off to a great STart.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
3 & 4 day post-op update : I can sit & walk with little to no pain , a small amount of momentary pain in the transition from sitting to standing & vice versa . that small amount of ache type pain is from incision & traumatized soft tissue around the joint . Gone is the sharp stabbing pain to the joint I was getting the last couple of months , that would cause muscles to not support me suddenly . They gave me no narcotics to take home like the oxy I got short time at the hospital . So considering that , I think I'm probably doing well ...

Bike
ST1100 02 Blue
Yey, well done Tournut. Hope your recovery is speedy. It sounds like you are doing very ok so far.
I have no experience of your op but MIL had both knees replaced a while back . She says that exercise afterwards is the key. The more you do [within reason, I guess] the better,faster it all heals up. Good luck ,be back on the bike soon ,I'm sure.
Take care . Laurie.

Top Bottom