Honda coolant

Is there any difference between Honda's Ready to use coolant/antifreeze for cars, and Honda's coolant/antifreeze for motorcycles, apart from the widely more expensive price of the motorcycle coolant.?

Bike
2000 ST1100
The motorcycle coolant has the green dye added to it. The Honda car coolant has a blue dye added to it other than that it's the same. One interesting tidbit is the motorcycle you change coolant every 2 years and Honda car coolant:shrug2: say's 5 year 60K miles.

Bike
2007 ST1300
The service manual says recommended antifreeze [High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors].
I have always used HP 50/50 Honda coolant on my bike but does not mean the car type would not work, and read that many ST owners use the car type on there bikes without any issues.

Bike
2000 ST1100
The service manual says recommended antifreeze [High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors].
I have always used HP 50/50 Honda coolant on my bike but does not mean the car type would not work, and read that many ST owners use the car type on there bikes without any issues.
I like you used the Honda mc coolant at first. Then learned from the people here about the Honda type 2 car coolant. Started using it and never looked back.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Many may disagree here…in general these are lower revving (so not always in the 10K RPM range) engines, and they’re Hondas. As far as I’m concerned, they’re basically 1100 or 1300 cc car engines (I’ve often joked my 1100s are 2 wheeled Accords). They’re quite reliable as we all know and as long as you‘re using a silicate free formula, I think any coolant is fine. These days, coolants are so well made (as are oils, etc) that we tend to overthink that we need a specific product made by the manufacturer and as we all know, Honda doesn’t make the fluids (they have recommendations for what they want from the chemical manufacturer). The Prestone I used has a 5 year/ 120K mile service life- I won’t let it go that long of course, but too frequent changes is likely a waste and more barely used chemicals in the waste site. The above is just opinion of course.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I use the PEAK Asian Blue 50/50 coolant from Wal Mart. It is recommended for Hondas. I have been using it in my Kawasaki KLR and Yamaha and Can Am quads also. No problems. I just change it every to years like the books says.

PEAK Original Equipment Technology Antifreeze + Coolant for Asian Vehicles - Blue - Walmart.com
Your not doing your mechanical seal(s) or water pump any favors using that!
If you read the label you'll see PHOSPHATE-ENHANCED ORGANIC ACID TECHNOLOGY across the front label.
While it does say silicate free, the correct stuff to use should read: SILICATE & PHOSPHATE FREE FORMULA, and MEETS ASTM D3306.
The correct coolant needs to be phosphate free, not phosphate-enhanced. ;)
Just curious, have you opened up any of your vehicles and inspected the T-stat, or mechanical seals?

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
34E79A8E-128B-4941-B93F-A68C23AFD274.jpegI used this on my last 2 changes.
P-HOAT is mentioned. I recall doing some research before swapping from the standard yellow stuff. I’m not a chemical engineer. Any know issues using this formula?

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
34E79A8E-128B-4941-B93F-A68C23AFD274.jpegI used this on my last 2 changes.
P-HOAT is mentioned. I recall doing some research before swapping from the standard yellow stuff. I’m not a chemical engineer. Any know issues using this formula?
Okay, I see this also mentions organic acid technology.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Most Auto part stores sell the premix 50/50, even ACE Hardware house brand has the following statement on the label: SILICATE & PHOSPHATE FREE FORMULA, and MEETS ASTM D3306
Its probably (my guess) that the coolant folks don't even think that their products will be used in motorcycles, since most motorcycle companies sell their own etc.
And what may be OK for a car, may not be OK for a bike due to the mechanical seals and stuff.
All you have to do is read the label, and find one that says it's silicate & phosphate FREE.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Your not doing your mechanical seal(s) or water pump any favors using that!
If you read the label you'll see PHOSPHATE-ENHANCED ORGANIC ACID TECHNOLOGY across the front label.
While it does say silicate free, the correct stuff to use should read: SILICATE & PHOSPHATE FREE FORMULA, and MEETS ASTM D3306.
The correct coolant needs to be phosphate free, not phosphate-enhanced. ;)
Just curious, have you opened up any of your vehicles and inspected the T-stat, or mechanical seals?
Thanks for pointing this out. I missed the Phosphate part. I have not opened the gallon I just got, so it will be going back to the store!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks for pointing this out. I missed the Phosphate part. I have not opened the gallon I just got, so it will be going back to the store!
I don't want to tell people how to spend their money but for a couple of dollars more you can get the Honda type 2 car coolant and vanish all your worries:)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This is true, the Honda type 2 is simply the same stuff everyone else uses with the proper formula (silicate & phosphate free) except they add blue dye to it, and charge twice as much money :rofl1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
This is true, the Honda type 2 is simply the same stuff everyone else uses with the proper formula (silicate & phosphate free) except they add blue dye to it, and charge twice as much money :rofl1:
Its really not that much more. I get mine from my Honda car dealer for $20.00 a gallon. I saw Zerex Asian for$18.00 a gallon. If you factor in the amount of gas it takes to return the wrong fluid back to the store....the Honda may have won the price war;).

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
$8 dollars a gallon at ACE less than a mile from my house.
Been using it in ST’s for years.
The money saved goes into gas and riding.

Top Bottom