Honda coolant

Bike
2000 ST1100
Unless changing the packaging means they changed the formula (think oil) and its no longer safe for your engine.
The type two was marketed for automobiles, quads, watercraft, etc. Why do they have a separate one for their motorcycles?
I would take an educated guess that they would charge more for the coolant in the quart bottle because they can. Parts on cars are usually a lot cheaper compared to motorcycles. I remembered I bought an original light bulb for my St1100 for a Kings ransom of $28.50 when I could have gotten a Halogen bulb for a car for $7.00. But we knew that didn't we going in. I just figure its the price of admission for all the fun we are having. For all those on the forum who are worried about whether the car coolant ingredients are not safe for your bike quit worrying. People have been using this stuff in their bikes for a long time now so its been proven that it works great. Just like the Honda oil people this stuff just plain works and have been working for some 40 plus years.

Bike
2009 ST1300
the private insurance companies charged more for collision on a 92 accura compared to the accord that I bought, part of the reason being was the accura head light assembly was $400.00 at the time, I think it was Honda's foray into the lucrative german [bmw, audi, volkswagen...] business model where you could make some extra money, although honda parts are expensive, they're not as bad as those

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They changed the packaging. Last gallon I bought was blue and gray. But yeah it is what you want. A good deal which reminds me after my trips I need to also change my coolant.
That pictured product is marketed in Canada by Honda CA. The US market still gets the blue & gray packaging.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unless changing the packaging means they changed the formula (think oil) and its no longer safe for your engine.
The type two was marketed for automobiles, quads, watercraft, etc. Why do they have a separate one for their motorcycles?
In the US Honda Type II in gallons is sold exclusively in the automotive market. Honda Pro Chemical for at least 20 years has had Honda HP coolant sold in quarts. I believe the quart sizing for HP was deemed more compatible for the types of products - ATVs and motorcycles - that typically use much less coolant. Honda makes money selling branded fluids in dealerships..... HP is what they recommend for motorcycles but it's probably not much different than Type II. I think we all agree on that.

Ha Ha. Watercraft like the Honda Aquatrax use the water they operate on for cooling the engine. They don't use coolant.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably just like Honda's re-branded oil, they won't put information on the product because it's re-branded (someone else's oil) and Honda has not certified any tests on their own on these products. Like their oil, there is not API donut or certification number, only a little square that states that what ever is in the bottle meets Honda's requirements (whatever those may be).
Somewhere I have a very old bottle of genuine Honda oil, and I believe the label reads something to the effect of "meets the minimum requirements" why would anyone try and sell a product, or purchase one for that fact, that only meets the minimum requirements of anything :rofl1:
More money for the mother company :rofl1:
It's my opinion that Honda has quantifiable standards for every product that carries the Honda brand name and they rigorously enforce those standards onto suppliers whether it be any one of vital fluids found in a motor vehicle. Set the standard high and it still becomes the "minimum standard" to meet the requirement which could be far above the minimum standard for another brand. That is how quality processes are set in place. Benchmark a minimum standard and check for continuous adherence. Honda is famously loyal to partners and they oldest partnership they have is with Idemitsu Kosan who provides lubricants and lubricant research and support. Idemitsu's partnership with Honda is over 70 years old and it is my opinion that Honda probably knows more about the oil they sell for motorcycles than any other manufacturer. Global marketing requires that Honda use suppliers in various markets like the US to fill product demands of that market but be sure that Honda requires continuous adherence to clear standards and requires regular certifications that those quality standards are continuously met. Honda doesn't make the oil but it meets a rigid standard and Honda labeling reflect that it meets standards set by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), American Petroleum Institute (API), and Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO).

Honda branded motor oil is clearly labeled. I really don't know why you persist in spreading a belief Honda doesn't clearly label it's branded oil as meeting certifications and specifications that are published by the SAE, API, and JASO and put forth as recommended in owners and service manuals. Let us go over it again one more time.... I thought we took care of this in a previous oil thread when you were still recommending Rotella 15W40 even after it lost certification for gas engine use.

The owners manual gives three recommendations for ST1300 engine oil:

1.) API Classification - SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label. Energy Conserving donut is only required on containers if the product meets the Energy Conserving standard. We don't want that standard in motorcycle wet clutch use so no API donut is OK.

2.) Viscosity expressed in SAE weight. For the ST1300, owners manuals will state primary 10w40 for 2003-2006 models and primary 10w30 for later models. Other acceptable viscosities are listed secondarily.

3.) JASO T903 standard - MA which is compatible with motorcycle wet clutch use.

The pictures are of a 2006 Honda ST1300 owners manual and of a jug of GN4 I purchased a few weeks ago for the NC700X. On the upper right is SAE viscosity 10W30 and API standard SJ. Use of SAE viscosity standard and API certification SJ means the product meets quantifiable requirements of the standards. Below that is the JASO T903 square with a 10 character code displayed. The code means the product meets JASO MA and keyed to the supplier of the product so labeled. Honda is allowed to display the icon after paying for the certification of the product within.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_2125(1).jpg

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Are any of the waterless coolants a reasonable option?
I have used Evans waterless for years - I consider it a permanent coolant. No water equals no corrosion or oxides in the engine and components, no pressure build-up when the engine is hot as the boiling point is 375 deg. It is expensive at $40.00+ a gallon but since it does not need to be changed and the cooling system remains pristine for years, in the long run it is less expensive. The temperature readings may seem higher using Evens but it retains heat and absorbs more heat than water. On some vehicles running Evans the coolant temperature readings may go up 10-20 degrees depending on the coolant and radiator capacity, this does not mean the engine internally is hotter, the info from Evans describes this. The Honda St's have a lot of cooling capacity and I have not seen a temperature reading increase running Evans in an ST. Water does transfer heat better when it is operating at reduced temperature but begins to lose the ability to transfer heat as it approaches its boiling point and begins to form vapor in the system. It is almost impossible to overheat an engine running Evans waterless coolant. An engine can run much hotter and survive if the coolant does not vaporize and boil. Years ago I was riding in the desert on a 450cc Dirt bike and had a water pump impeller fail about 20 miles from camp. I was running Evans coolant at the time and although the engine got extremely hot I was able to ride the bike 20 miles back to camp. The cooling system did not boil over and the engine was not damaged at all except for the water pump. I fixed the water pump and rode the bike for many years after.

Here is info about Evans

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Honda SS-8 10wt couldn't possibly be anything other than a special fluid designed and researched for Honda vehicles by Honda scientists in white lab coats :rofl1:
And at $8 dollars for 16oz bottles it has to be something pretty special to cost that much :rolleyes: or is it?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda Showa SS-8 is developed by Showa of Japan for use in some motorcycles that are equipped with Showa forks. Honda, Kawasaki, and Harley Davidson for example. Dealerships of various brands carrying Showa OEM products might sell rebranded Showa fluids under their name. It's business.

SS-8 is tinted red in color so the experts on BTOG call it ATF. Honda Showa SS-7 is clear with a slight yellow tint. Illogically it must be Mazola Vegetable Oil because it is the same color and it's slippery like Mazola. Problem with uneducated comparisons is that there are many 10w fork oils and many ATF fluids. The only way to compare them is check the ASTM values for the selected product. It is simple to compare suspension fluids or ATFs using cSt and VI values. Just look them up.

Top Bottom