Honda Interceptor

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
Maybe this has been talked about before I was if wondering the Interceptor would make a good sport touring bike and can you put the bar risers on it like the ST

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Maybe this has been talked about before I was if wondering the Interceptor would make a good sport touring bike and can you put the bar risers on it like the ST

Yes, they do make good sport-tourers. As a matter of fact, in the UK the VFR is classified as a sports-tourer and the ST1300 a touring machine.

I've always used my VFR's on trips that didn't involve more than 1000 to 2000 miles of travel. Now that it's my only bike, that will change.

I can't speak to the new, redesigned VFR (1200) but mine is very comfortable. I've got no problem doing 500 mile days on it and have done more before. As with the ST, the addition of an aftermarket saddle helps considerably. The one I use is a Sargent.

You asked about risers... I have helibars on mine that help a bit although the VFR's stock bars are pretty comfortable and a good deal higher than full on sport bike clip-ons.

Here's a pick of mine taken while on the road. You'll notice the tank and tail bag. I also have a set of soft, Cortech luggage that I wasn't using the day this picture was taken:

OP
OP
tercol58
Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
Mick that is a nice looking bike. How is the wind and rain protection compared to an ST .I mostly am a fair weather rider anyway just curious

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Mick that is a nice looking bike. How is the wind and rain protection compared to an ST .I mostly am a fair weather rider anyway just curious
Depends on how you like to ride. I ride the ST with the windscreen all the way down and its similar to the VFR over the head. The VFR doesn't provide as much protection from the side. In the rain, there is no comparison--the VFR fairing and screen is too small to keep the water off you like the ST does.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
The VFR is a great bike and it there are lot's of accessories to make it trip worthy.

Mine had the Honda hardbags, Givi screen, and Heli bar risers. I could do 600 mile days, but the comfort level is not near as good as the ST. You will get wet when it rains, and the cold air in the winter hits you more. But in the summer it is a cooler ride.

I've sat on the new VFR and it feel very similar to my old one and I know they will be offering bags and trunk. I would expect it to be a capable tourer.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

As others have already posted, the weather protection is not as good as the ST. Having said that however, I REALLY appreciate that fact in the summer down here! I would almost fall asleep on my ST from breathing in the pocket of stale, warm, moist air that would hover just behind the windshield. With the VFR you get plenty of air.

By the way, I forgot to add that you've got plenty of options for luggage. Here is a picture of my Givi tail trunk setup on the VFR. Now that the ST is gone, I may bite the bullet and get a full set of Givi side cases. Just depends on whether I decide to get another dedicated touring machine or not:

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
A '98-'00 viffer is most likely my next bike IF I get to downsize (ie, don't have to 2 up tour anymore).
Shoot for an '00 or '01 (both 5th generations). Honda made some significant improvements to the R/R in '00 that make the charging system more reliable.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
What about gas mileage on the VFR in the upper 50s or a bit lower
The average of my '00 is 44 mpg. I've hit 50 a couple of times and upper 40's on quite a number of occasions.

For whatever reason, the average MPG on the '99 I once had was lower. It was only 37 mpg but I will admit to riding a bit more aggressively when I owned that one. I have heard others report that the '00 & '01 did better in the mpg department though.

Bike
ST1100 2k
I've sat on the new VFR and it feel very similar to my old one and I know they will be offering bags and trunk. I would expect it to be a capable tourer.
Autonomy is estimated by european magazine to be between 200 & 250 kilometer (120~150 miles) only :( ...
You'll have to plan your trip carefully or carry a jerrycan...

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I'm lovin' mine. If I could only have one bike, that would be the one. It's a '98, the '99 & later did away with the fast idle lever, '00 & '01 had an O2 sensor & a catalytic converter.

I put a Yamaha R1 reg/rec on it after the second Honda one died. Really large heat sink fins & mosfet technology. The suspension came up a bit short so I put F3 fork insides (adds rebound adjustment) & a Penske rear shock. That really made it a completely different bike - perfect on any road.

I have 3 or 4 windshields, but like the double bubble best. The Givi touring one lasted one trip only....:( No problem in the rain either. I ride mostly one handed sitting straighter upright. Have all kinds of luggage options, depending on the ride. Small soft bags, larger soft bags, tail bag, several duffles. Also have Heli bars but never put 'em on - the stock ones are fine.

By far the best mod for me has been the Scottoiler. The first chain lasted 15K. Put the oiler on with the second chain - 20K later I did the first adjustment - 10K since & still fine. :)

I'm good for ~200 miles per tank running with full camping gear, although I usually like to fill up a little earlier. I really don't want to find out exactly how far it will go on a tank....

Really hard bike to beat for an all-arounder.

OP
OP
tercol58
Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
Thanks for lots of great info guys when I come up with cash for my next bike I have one more for a hard look now VFR ,ST, or the RT seem to be my top choices now

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I was actually looking for an ST1100 after I got the VFR, which is how I ended up on this forum. Found exactly what I thought I was looking for, but on closer examination, decided it was not the bike for me at the time. The forum & the people on it, on the other hand were a perfect fit.

Many think the 5th gen VFR is the perfect one, me among 'em. The gear drive cams, intoxicating sound & all around performance puts it right on top for me.

Bike
R1200RT
Thanks for lots of great info guys when I come up with cash for my next bike I have one more for a hard look now VFR ,ST, or the RT seem to be my top choices now
I owned the same bike as Mick for two years, a 2000 model. I bought a Penske shock and Race tech front springs, Sargent seat, Helibars and a Givi trunk + other xtras for it.\
As a sportbike it's pretty comfortable, and hangs right with anything in the canyons (with these mods). As a sport tourer there is no comparison to my ST1100 of course, it all depends on what you're looking for. I chose comfort and wind protection over weight, that's the bottom line for me.

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I had a hard time deciding, so I do have both!

An oldie but goodie. Throw on the soft saddle bags and the tank bag and hit the road!

Bike
GL1800
A great sport tour bike.......especially if there are a lot of corners. I still ride with the OEM bars but changed out the seat to a Sargent. With heated grips and vest you can handle most of the cold stuff on tour....except long winter trips. The tank is big enough to give you consistent 200+ plus miles on tour and there is enough beans to haul the mail if you want.

The bike is a hoot!

Slocan Lake, BC

Mammoth, Sierras

RT191 in AZ

Bike
GL1800
For me the OEM screen is perfect.....till it pours maybe. No turbulence as your helmet is in clear air.

When you are looking at this ........even with bags on ..........light the fire!

Comparison with lots of crap on both bikes. John_Diegos ST.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
VERY good to know the charging system (I know it's better in the '00-'01) can handle heated gear. That is a definite drawback to my '94 1100

There is a guy on VFRD that rewinds stators for more output. I may go that way later. I converted my headlights to HID which dropped the power draw quite a bit. Don't use heated gear so no problem there.

According to my factory service manual there is no difference in the alternator output from '98-'00. 0.47kW/5000rpm Perhaps '01 & later did but my manual doesn't go there.

The '98-'99 models had a fast idle lever for starting, warmup. In '00 it was incorporated into the ECM. Actually kind of handy sometimes.

MeanST knows VFRs very well. He probably has more touring miles than I do.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Fast idle lever?
Up through the 4th generation ('94 - '97), VFRs had carburetors and used choke levers. In '98 the VFR came out with fuel injection so no longer needed a choke. According to numerous VFRD posts, what they did was to leave the "choke" lever in it's normal place on the bars but changed it's function to a throttle lever. This lever was dropped in 2000.

Top Bottom