honda st1300 gear indicator

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Hi!
I am looking for a gear indicator for a 2005 ST1300.
I see plenty of them on Amazon and Ebay and some of them are advertised as Plug & Play and some others do need some extra connections.
Most of the plug & play are listed compatible for the 2008 ST and after.

Is there any difference between the ECU depending on what year, from 2002 to 2005 and after ?
Has anybody a specific gear indicator model to recommend ?

I know, I should just watch my speedo to guess what gear I am, but I get it wrong most of the time between the 4th and 5th gear, haaa!
Thanks you all!
Jacques

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting @jacques.luiggi as I was looking for a gear indicator for my 2012 ST1300 I found exactly the opposite - nearly every listing was for a 2007 and earlier model which won't work on the 2008 and later models (to the best of my knowledge).

Again, from my research, the 2008 and later models changed the wiring harness and ECU such that a gear indicator can be plugged into the bike via the red diagnostic port under the passenger seat on the right side. Almost no Amazon or ebay seller offered something which worked with that connector. Earlier models connected via multiple locations at the rear of the engine on the right side. IMHO much more work than the 2008 and later. I eventually found one that worked with multiple Honda bikes of that vintage and later which were equipped with a similar diagnostic port.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
@Andrew Shadow that works for the ST1100, not the 1300. I could go on a rant about how some institutional knowledge at Honda was lost in this regard, but I'll refrain.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Jacques:

As Andrew suggested in his post #4 above, you really don't need a gear indicator for a ST 1300 because it already has one built in - if you know where to look.

The only time we ST 1300 riders ever have doubt about what gear we are in is when we are wondering if we are in 4th or 5th. It's not a concern for 2nd or 3rd, and we know we are in 1st if it won't shift down any further.

Next time you are riding, put it in 4th gear and look at the tach & speedo. You will see that the two needles are both pointing in the same direction (same clock position), or perhaps the tach needle is pointing a little higher than the speedo needle.

Now, put it in 5th. You will see that the speedo needle is always pointing higher than the tach needle*.

There you go - you now have a gear indicator!

Michael

* Might not always be true above 6,000 RPM - but if you are above 6,000 RPM in 5th gear, you will know you are in 5th because your speed will be over 120 MPH / 200 km/h and your cheeks will be pulled backwards to your ears by the relative wind.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Interesting @jacques.luiggi as I was looking for a gear indicator for my 2012 ST1300 I found exactly the opposite - nearly every listing was for a 2007 and earlier model which won't work on the 2008 and later models (to the best of my knowledge).

Again, from my research, the 2008 and later models changed the wiring harness and ECU such that a gear indicator can be plugged into the bike via the red diagnostic port under the passenger seat on the right side. Almost no Amazon or ebay seller offered something which worked with that connector. Earlier models connected via multiple locations at the rear of the engine on the right side. IMHO much more work than the 2008 and later. I eventually found one that worked with multiple Honda bikes of that vintage and later which were equipped with a similar diagnostic port.
Thank you!
So the socket of the ECU is different depending on the year, but what about just rerouting the gear indicator wires in a compatible socket?
Will that work ?
Or is it that the ECU terminals are really not providing the same connections depending on the years?

Also, I never felt so much in love with a bike, so I resent and suffer any criticism about the ST.
But forgive me, it is obviously a strange missing accessory on this wonderful bike.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
But forgive me, it is obviously a strange missing accessory on this wonderful bike.
I'll gladly give up a gear position indicator, for a factory-installed cruise control!
But that's ok -- after a bit, I plan to tackle the Rostra beast, as have others here.
If I'm going to show my disdain for modern traction control, electronic suspension and computerized ride modes, I should not be so hypocritical as to whine at the lack of cruise control.
Early Norton, BSA and Triumph riders would call me a snowflake. They might anyway, just because I ride a Honda.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'll gladly give up a gear position indicator, for a factory-installed cruise control!
But that's ok -- after a bit, I plan to tackle the Rostra beast, as have others here.
If I'm going to show my disdain for modern traction control, electronic suspension and computerized ride modes, I should not be so hypocritical as to whine at the lack of cruise control.
Early Norton, BSA and Triumph riders would call me a snowflake. They might anyway, just because I ride a Honda.
This contributes nothing to the conversation and "snowflake" and "whine" are toxic viewpoints.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Carbon monoxide and gasoline fumes are toxic too -- but we learn to deal with those, right?
Some may argue and in fact have here already, that a GPI is unnecessary.
So back on topic, we can select which "unnecessary" frills we wish to add to our wonderful bikes.
I believe @STRider has one of the more recent, successful GPI installs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I installed a HealTech GIPro on my 2010 and loved it. I'm generally not a fan of Amazon, and prefer to support smaller companies - not that I did research to find out how big HTech is. I bought mine directly from HealTech. Only thing I changed was mounting. I cut out a piece of stainless steel sheet metal about 2 1/2" x 3/4", drilled a hole at one end and then used a brake reservoir screw to hold this tab upright. I bent the top forward a bit, and used double faced tape to secure the GIPro to my stainless steel tab. Worked great for me.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I installed a HealTech GIPro on my 2010 and loved it. I'm generally not a fan of Amazon, and prefer to support smaller companies - not that I did research to find out how big HTech is. I bought mine directly from HealTech.
I agree @SMSW , but the HealTech GIPro was over three times what I paid for the Chinese knock-off from Amazon. I was not going to spend >$150 for a gear indicator. Not proud, but that's the way it was going to be.

@jacques.luiggi - I recommend you research the installation specifics yourself, as I can't give you first hand experience with a pre-2008 ST1300. However, the installation directions for the HealTech products describe a separate speed sensor connection in addition to and ECU connection for the pre-2008. Check these out: 2007 and earlier; GIpro X-type G2 and 2008 and later; GIpro DS-series G2

And @CYYJ I'm not there to look at your ST1300 while at speed, but my gauges absolutely do not behave as you describe.* The ST1100 gauges do. This abandonment of a design philosophy that numerous Honda cars and motorcycles I've owned have was the sole reason I pursued a gear indicator for the 1300. I didn't need one for the 1100!
(* at least to my satisfaction)

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I agree @SMSW , but the HealTech GIPro was over three times what I paid for the Chinese knock-off from Amazon. I was not going to spend >$150 for a gear indicator. Not proud, but that's the way it was going to be.

@jacques.luiggi - I recommend you research the installation specifics yourself, as I can't give you first hand experience with a pre-2008 ST1300. However, the installation directions for the HealTech products describe a separate speed sensor connection in addition to and ECU connection for the pre-2008. Check these out: 2007 and earlier; GIpro X-type G2 and 2008 and later; GIpro DS-series G2

And @CYYJ I'm not there to look at your ST1300 while at speed, but my gauges absolutely do not behave as you describe.* The ST1100 gauges do. This abandonment of a design philosophy that numerous Honda cars and motorcycles I've owned have was the sole reason I pursued a gear indicator for the 1300. I didn't need one for the 1100!
(* at least to my satisfaction)
Thanks again, the links are exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
I wish to be able to share the road with you one day !

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hmmm.....I thought @ 8k rpm, it's time to shift. If you're at 8k rpm and no more gears than, maybe it's time for you to buy a Busa!

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Did you ever get the gear indicator installed and does it work?
Sorry to disappoint you, after spending hours trying to make it work, I got no luck.
Erratically switching from one gear to another with no reason, I gave up.

Sorry to disappoint you, after spending hours trying to make it work, I got no luck.
Erratically switching from one gear to another with no reason, I gave up.
Well damn.. was hoping to find someone with some helpful knowledge on this . Thanks

Top Bottom