honda st1300 gear indicator

I got that same one (Idea) in January. It's plug and play on my 08 and it works great. The difficult part was getting to the connector. Except for that, it's easy.

I got that same one (Idea) in January. It's plug and play on my 08 and it works great. The difficult part was getting to the connector. Except for that, it's easy.
Would you happen to have any pictures of the installation? I have an 06 and really hoping to find one that works. I can't remember but is the connector under the rear seat on the right? I thought I read that someplace here...

Would you happen to have any pictures of the installation? I have an 06 and really hoping to find one that works. I can't remember but is the connector under the rear seat on the right? I thought I read that someplace here...
Just to be clear, the -idea brand gear indicator - worked on your st1300? Cuz it says it's for cbr models...

No, sorry, no pics. Not sure about the fitment on your 06. Yes, it's the Idea unit, but it clearly says the fitment for the ST is 2008-2015. You are right on the plug in location, at least that is where mine was. It was hidden below another bundled wire harness and was not easy to see because the connector was wrapped in electrical tape and not easy to get to because of the other harness. Very little working room. Good luck. Wish I could be more positive about the fit. My unit works great. Just easier to me to look quickly down at the gear indicator than to look at the speedo and tach and try to figure that out.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Just to be clear, the -idea brand gear indicator - worked on your st1300? Cuz it says it's for cbr models...
There are gear position indicators available for 2008 and later model year ST1300's that plug in to the diagnostic connector and are plug and play. The 2007 and earlier model years are not plug and play. If I remember correctly, they must be individually wired in to a combination of the tachometer, speed sensor and clutch lever switch signals. I can't remember which combination of those three or if all three are required. It requires power and ground as well. It is not terribly complicated. There are detailed instructions of how to do it on this forum.

No, sorry, no pics. Not sure about the fitment on your 06. Yes, it's the Idea unit, but it clearly says the fitment for the ST is 2008-2015. You are right on the plug in location, at least that is where mine was. It was hidden below another bundled wire harness and was not easy to see because the connector was wrapped in electrical tape and not easy to get to because of the other harness. Very little working room. Good luck. Wish I could be more positive about the fit. My unit works great. Just easier to me to look quickly down at the gear indicator than to look at the speedo and tach and try to figure that out.
Thanks man I appreciate it

There are gear position indicators available for 2008 and later model year ST1300's that plug in to the diagnostic connector and are plug and play. The 2007 and earlier model years are not plug and play. If I remember correctly, they must be individually wired in to a combination of the tachometer, speed sensor and clutch lever switch signals. I can't remember which combination of those three or if all three are required. It requires power and ground as well. It is not terribly complicated. There are detailed instructions of how to do it on this forum.
Honestly, after looking for an hour and a half at teasing threads, I couldn't find a post that talks about the 07 and earlier models and how to wire one in ... I guess I'll just go with out unless someone else can point it out to me. Thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Honestly, after looking for an hour and a half at teasing threads, I couldn't find a post that talks about the 07 and earlier models and how to wire one in ... I guess I'll just go with out unless someone else can point it out to me. Thanks
The below thread is about making a home-made GPI and then installing it. It might be helpful to you if you disregard the instructions about making it and just follow the installation instructions.
ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I've thought about adding one to my 1100, which would require the type of kit with a magnet and two micro-switches, but then I think that knowing if and when I need to upshift or downshift happens whether or not I know what gear I'm presently in. Thus, I have concluded it's not necessary for me for now.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a Heal-Tech clone on my 2012 ST1300 that I sourced from Amazon. What I think I discovered is, Honda models with the appropriate modern diagnostic port (meaning 2008 & later) are truly plug & play, which my 2012 ST1300 happens to be. All of the necessary signals can be read through the ECU port.

2007 and earlier have a a different ECU and the data required by the gear position indicator (GPI) must be collected from different places within the bike's electrical system. Perhaps the best instructions, strangely come from Heal-Tech's own website as nearly every, okay every, GPI other than Heal-Tech's is a clone of Heal-Tech's and install with the same connections.

Here's a link to the installation document for the Heal-tech GIpro X-type G2 with the GPX-H01 Harness Kit (this is specified for the ST1300 2007 and earlier).

IIRC, all the connections can be reached under the right lower cowl just behind the motor, ahead of the frame. The speedo sender unit and its connector are in there. The other signal, which Heal-Tech takes from the ECU, well I can't tell you where that is on the 2007 and earlier models. It may very well come from the coil like the MC Cruise does. All the unit is doing is comparing the pulse frequency from the speedometer and the tachometer and associating that with a digit displayed on the GPI. Within each gear, the ratio between those two will be fixed for any given road and engine speed.

Here's my thread on the topic, but it's for a 2008 and later design. :confused:

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I've thought about adding one to my 1100, which would require the type of kit with a magnet and two micro-switches, but then I think that knowing if and when I need to upshift or downshift happens whether or not I know what gear I'm presently in. Thus, I have concluded it's not necessary for me for now.
I no longer have an ST1100 Larry, but I'm curious nonetheless- what are the two micro-switches for?
I ask because the HealTech kit that I have read that works with the ST1100 does not seem to include switches.

Top Bottom