How difficult is it to change a tire?

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
My cheap tire changer/Balancer. I got a Harbor Freight tire changer base as a gift from a friend than I shorted it 7.5" lower and made the top mount for motorcycle wheels mount also welded new flat base for mounting on the floor. I also made a static wheel balancer works great for me.

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've seen that technique done with tie wraps, but not with tape. On radial front tires, I can usually do both beads at once on my automatic machine. Just tuck both beads under the duckhead and roll it on around.
Problem with tie wraps, is the flex cuff ones (large white ones) are really thick, and that just kind of defeats the purpose by taking up room.
The Duct tape is completely flat and slippery with paste or soap is added, and it comes right off. Someone here suggested a tear string under the tape to make removal easier.
:doh1:

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I'll be mounting that new 5GT on the rear in the next couple of weeks, I'll have to give it a try! :think1:

I'm lazy and cost-conscious. I don't need no stinking tire change machine.
a) I use a farm jack to break the beads.
b) I pull a bead up over rim lip (as anyone else would), then I use a four inch grinder to cut the bead.
My method, the tire is off in less than a minute, with zero effort.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Are you laughing at me? I'm swinking an inch for the last 5 years. used to be 5'7+" Now only 5'6" suck getting old man...! :biggrin: Soon I will need those disco shoes to ride my bikes. :rofl1:
I know the shrinking feeling. I think I'm down to 6'3". ;)

Being shorter helps you keeping the Laotian lightning in the corners, less weight up high. :cool:

Question on your tire changer. No center spindle, you just using spons and not a bar (No-mar or Mojo lever)?

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I know the shrinking feeling. I think I'm down to 6'3". ;)

Being shorter helps you keeping the Laotian lightning in the corners, less weight up high. :cool:

Question on your tire changer. No center spindle, you just using spons and not a bar (No-mar or Mojo lever)?
I also made the center spindle too. But, I never use it. No-Mar Bar can take off/installing.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Quick tip on setting the new tire: instead of a powerful compressor, I bought an air tank which I can inflate to 100+ psi using my small compressor. I then use the tank to inflate the new tire - due to the high air flow compared to the compressor, the tire quickly sets on the rim. Cheaper solution than a larger compressor...

thekaz

haz gone feral
I use a bessy clamp to break the beads and some long spoons then balance with a home made balancer. I do have two modern tire changers and one balancer one of which is small enough for bike rims but I just find spooning easier and way more satisfying ....... ya I need meds LOL

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I got to that point on the last tire change. Nothing I could do, could get it over. I was using tire irons, no machine. I sat back, exhausted. Then said, go back to the basics. The opposite side of the tire needs to go down in the low spot on the rim. As soon as I did that, the rest of the tire slipped on. It took a little effort, but that was the "secret".

Go back, and try again.

Chris

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I managed somehow to replace tires on my 1300 last time. This time I need to replace a rear and it all went fine (I have manual machine) up until inserting the final 4th quarter of the tire. (B T31). To a point of being ripped. I lubed the rim and tire, blow hot air for about 30 mins into it... nothing. It just doesn't budge.
I'm thinking of going to any tire shop so they'd put this one side in.
You need to make sure the entire rest of the bead is in the deepest center of the rim.

Top Bottom