How do newer driving lights compare with the old favorite PIAA 910s?

I have some 910s still in the box, from about 2009 or so, probably bought them used. LEDs weren't even a thing back then. Should I just sell these and get some newer, more modern driving lights? Or are the 910s just as bright as the newer LED lights?

They are halogen, and I prefer the light they put out to those super white or even blueish LED lights. But I want whatever lets me see what's coming as far as possible.

Once I was riding my VTX back from Tucson on Highway 10. I was doing 80 or more. It was about 2 am, and there was nothing else on the highway. Suddenly there was a black mass right in front of me, just like a quick flash of it. I just barely had time to try a quick jog to the side using body english. My foot still hit it....a dead cow in the middle of the freaking lane. Man, oh man.

Thanks much,
Jim

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Led are today more power friendly and are surprisingly bright, F2 led are obviously a huge improvement.
Do you already use led bulbs in your headlight, that could be the first step maybe.

As driving light, this is what I use on my ST but, they are not as focused as the main headlight.
I really like them as additional powerful spotlights.
The yellow color is also really great to light up the side of the road for deer and 'joggers' and is also far less reflecting on signs and markings.
Its not allowed in every state (!).
Less than $40 including the harness for 2x40W Cree Led, they pull a max of 7 amps I think.
I mounted them on the crash bars and the fork would have been a better location probably.

.1640576789224.png

Last edited:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
When riding in the rain I find the PIAAs give better illumination than my LED headlights, the colour temp of the PIAAs seem better suited for those conditions in my opinion.
I agree 100% with you about the color temp, that's why I choose the yellow against the 6500K of most of the driving light.
Halogens are also generating a lot of heat and are able to dry the surface of the headlight or melt the snow, led can't...

Last edited:
OP
OP
;How do you mount your lights on the ST? I think there were mounts for the PIAAs but I never got those. I'd like them over the mirror but aside from police mounts (I think), I don't know how to do that.
Thanks for the pointers to lights.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
;How do you mount your lights on the ST? I think there were mounts for the PIAAs but I never got those. I'd like them over the mirror but aside from police mounts (I think), I don't know how to do that.
Thanks for the pointers to lights.
I guess that the best location would be under the mirror housings?
These spots are not heavy at all, I thought about using the side mount of the reflector brackets on the fork side.
Not sure about the aesthetic installed this way.
I would be happy to find some more adapted way to mount them...

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 2012
I have PIAs on the 2005, yeah, they definitely improve visibility BUT .... I put a set ot high/low beam LEDs from Rigid Industries on my 2012 using under mirror mounts. The lights were designed for off-road 4x4s and unfortunately have been discontinued. I keep hoping replacements will be forthcoming!
On Low they give a nice flood in front and to the sides, on High they really throw the light out there. They are wired into the headlight high/low headlight circuit. The test for me was a series of twists and turns on a dark road near my home that I cautiously navigated at night because I couldn't see. With the new lights installed, I found myself cruising through at over the speed limit!
Now to decide if I want to put some yellow lights on the forks for assistance with foggy/rainy rides.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The whats?! :confused1:
Reflective pavement marker with inclined reinforcing ribs. Also called cat's eyes.
I have some 910s still in the box, from about 2009 or so, probably bought them used. . Should I just sell these and get some newer, more modern driving lights?
Really depends on your eyesight and color preference. Good LED lights far outshine their Halogen counterparts and they are available in a variety of color temperatures. If you pay attention to the temp, you can get light you like (2700ºK to 3000Kº is Halogen territory) though many lights tend to use higher color temp chips. LED's also provide more light per watt (lumens per watt) than incandescent so your electrical load is lower. I'd sell the PIAA's and buy LED. Unless you ride your ST in heavy snow..... :rofl1:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just to be clear… we’re talking about the PIAA 910 model aux lights. The long range pencil beam focused units. There are other shorter range models.

Good comment about light temperature. You get much above 3000 Kelvin and it’s not useable light. Whiter, bluer is not better…

I’d love to see a side-by-side comparo with the LEDs. My PIAAs have ~140K on them with the same bulbs; granted, I don’t have the occasions to use them that often. They are mounted under the mirrors on Dick Seng bulletproof mounts, custom colo(u)red in Sparkling Silver Metallic just for me. ;)

John

OP
OP
Just to be clear… we’re talking about the PIAA 910 model aux lights. The long range pencil beam focused units. There are other shorter range models.

Good comment about light temperature. You get much above 3000 Kelvin and it’s not useable light. Whiter, bluer is not better…

I’d love to see a side-by-side comparo with the LEDs. My PIAAs have ~140K on them with the same bulbs; granted, I don’t have the occasions to use them that often. They are mounted under the mirrors on Dick Seng bulletproof mounts, custom colo(u)red in Sparkling Silver Metallic just for me. ;)

John
Yes I think that's what I have. 2009 or so is what I bought them. Pencil beams are what I want.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #

John
Hi John,
Wonder if you can replace the H3s in the PIAA with an LED one?
Raouf

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Wonder if you can replace the H3s in the PIAA with an LED one?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This is a key point when considering replacing the OE bulb with an LED version. It's my guess that it's unlikely you'll find an equivilent LED to replace the OE halogen. The performance will likely suffer.

As John O pointed out that's a pencil beam lamp and the suggested LED is for a daytime driving light fixture. Further it's a WAG as to what kind of beam pattern you'd get with a random LED replacement.

If you manage your expectations you'll at the least get a good see-me/conspicuity light set up. I seriously doubt this setup would do you any good at 80mph except to be seen by oncoming vehicles.

The 910s are from an era were lenses in auxiliary lighiting meant something. Most of the LED lamps offered these days are off-road only because of high-output and lack of any semblance of a street legal beam.

There probably are actual street legal LED lamps that will put light where you need it. I don't know of any of the top so reach is also key.

Even some of these used judicioulsly wouldn't do you any good downrange at 80mph. The beam patterns tend to be (as the flashaholics put it) too "floody" and not enough "throw" or downrange reach.

So maybe four sets of lights — two 10º pencil beam LED lamps and to "fog" LED lamps operated separately and as appropriate. Or one of each at the same time (may not be legal in some states). Not to mention 80mph reduces the effectiveness of any lighting.

However you want to roll you really should look up your state's lighting laws. A lot of people like to paint the cops as jack-booted thugs when they give tickets for illegal lighting but the rider makes the choice - cops make make you life with it.

T-boning (no pun intended) that cow could have spoiled the day.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Was on the last early morning leg of a ten hour drive to Edmonton from Edson, probably ten years ago in my Mustang 120 k limit so probably doing 125 tired, same thing but happened to be in the next lane altogether, but knew it would have been too dark and I would have been too fast, it's one thing when you can say it zigged when you zagged, a few lessons in that one for me - don't know what these little lights are that came on my ST, but impressive low wide angle illumination. Confidence inspiring is all I can say. Will check brand and model.

Attachments

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, the price is right for these
This is a key point when considering replacing the OE bulb with an LED version. It's my guess that it's unlikely you'll find an equivilent LED to replace the OE halogen. The performance will likely suffer.

As John O pointed out that's a pencil beam lamp and the suggested LED is for a daytime driving light fixture. Further it's a WAG as to what kind of beam pattern you'd get with a random LED replacement.

If you manage your expectations you'll at the least get a good see-me/conspicuity light set up. I seriously doubt this setup would do you any good at 80mph except to be seen by oncoming vehicles.

The 910s are from an era were lenses in auxiliary lighiting meant something. Most of the LED lamps offered these days are off-road only because of high-output and lack of any semblance of a street legal beam.

There probably are actual street legal LED lamps that will put light where you need it. I don't know of any of the top so reach is also key.

Even some of these used judicioulsly wouldn't do you any good downrange at 80mph. The beam patterns tend to be (as the flashaholics put it) too "floody" and not enough "throw" or downrange reach.

So maybe four sets of lights — two 10º pencil beam LED lamps and to "fog" LED lamps operated separately and as appropriate. Or one of each at the same time (may not be legal in some states). Not to mention 80mph reduces the effectiveness of any lighting.

However you want to roll you really should look up your state's lighting laws. A lot of people like to paint the cops as jack-booted thugs when they give tickets for illegal lighting but the rider makes the choice - cops make make you life with it.

T-boning (no pun intended) that cow could have spoiled the day.
I was afraid that the focused lens might be a tough task for a generic LED. Thanks

I really like the look of the 910s and want to see if I can make them more efficient with LED. I figured if anyone had the answer, you would. Thanks.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Top Bottom