How do newer driving lights compare with the old favorite PIAA 910s?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I will have to experiment as there isn't much room in there and it is a closed housing. I saw one H3 that had a mesh cooling set up, I also don't want to mess or cut the PIAA connector, so will have to figure out a way to use the exiting connector wires inside the housing to connect to the LED.
Thanks for the links, I see some of these on the Canadian Amazon site. The reviews are interesting.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I really like the look of the 910s and want to see if I can make them more efficient with LED.
Most of the modern LED lamps I've seen are exercises in form over function. Not that there's anything wrong with that but lamps of the 910 era did have some nice styling and a balance of form and function are appreciated.

I've got a pair of round headlights I really like that have 55W halogen bulbs in each and those were downsized from 100W halogens. Sourcing an LED replacement for the H1 bulb hasn't been easy and is ongoing.

First finding one with the emitter placement in the same position as the H1 filament would be pure coincidence at this point. This will obviously affect the beam pattern in what I bought as off road spot lights.

In looking at the measurements (to make sure they fits behind the lenses) none of the bulbs I found show the length from the mounting flange to the tip of the bulb. I was surprised to see it in the H3 recommendation.

Another consideration is finding a bulb with low enough output to not need a heatsink or fan. There's no room in the enclosure.

I'd be willing to settle for these lights becoming conspicuity light–even preferring yellow light (not amber) instead of white. If I could find LED lookalikes that would be the better way to go but so far—nada. Style is a subjective metric.

Good luck with your search.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I have some 910s still in the box, from about 2009 or so, probably bought them used. LEDs weren't even a thing back then. Should I just sell these and get some newer, more modern driving lights? Or are the 910s just as bright as the newer LED lights?

They are halogen, and I prefer the light they put out to those super white or even blueish LED lights. But I want whatever lets me see what's coming as far as possible.

Once I was riding my VTX back from Tucson on Highway 10. I was doing 80 or more. It was about 2 am, and there was nothing else on the highway. Suddenly there was a black mass right in front of me, just like a quick flash of it. I just barely had time to try a quick jog to the side using body english. My foot still hit it....a dead cow in the middle of the freaking lane. Man, oh man.

Thanks much,
Jim
I've recently purchased a set of Auxbeam triangular spot/flood pod lights for my Triumph Scrambler XE. My son and I did a trip from Casa Grande to Pei Town NM in September 2021 and like idiots, it got dark on us just as soon as we finished our ride on Hwy 191 which everyone should try if you're in Arizona. Just as we entered Alpine AZ two elk ran in the road in front of us and then we had the same thing happen a few miles down the same road but this time it was 4 flesh-eating dear with huge teeth and gigantic antlers. When we arrived back to our God-forsaken town of Casa Grande I purchase a set of Niglights on Amazon ($29.00) and found out that you get what you pay for. I threw those in the trash and replaced them with a set of Auxbeam triangular spot/floods ($85.00) and they actually turn the night into day when riding after the sunsets. I would highly, highly recommend these to anyone who wants to ride at night. They are just as good as a set of Riggid Side Shooters that I purchase off of Ebay for $350.00.

Top Bottom