How do you guys stand it?

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I will start off with - I'm spoiled. In NC you can generally ride year round with little problem; it rarely gets terribly cold or stupid hot or stays that way for long. However we've had snowy/ sleety/ slushy/ black ice junk on the roads for a couple of weeks and my bike is staying caged up in the garage. Lacking the ability to get out and ride, I'm barely resisting the urge to find some darn farkle or something to add to get a fix. How do you guys in the more brutal parts of the world get through the winter when you cannot scratch the itch? I could brew a batch of beer, but I already have two mostly full kegs and 20 gallons dry hopping. :confused:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I will start off with - I'm spoiled. In NC you can generally ride year round with little problem; it rarely gets terribly cold or stupid hot or stays that way for long. However we've had snowy/ sleety/ slushy/ black ice junk on the roads for a couple of weeks and my bike is staying caged up in the garage. Lacking the ability to get out and ride, I'm barely resisting the urge to find some darn farkle or something to add to get a fix. How do you guys in the more brutal parts of the world get through the winter when you cannot scratch the itch? I could brew a batch of beer, but I already have two mostly full kegs and 20 gallons dry hopping. :confused:
Are you making fun of us!!! LOL

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It sucks dude.......it sucks.

Lucky Seattle has been warmer than normal recently.

T

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Get out on the bike, you'll be surprised just how much you learn throttle control, braking and judging tyre grip in those conditions, which will pay dividends when you come across some mud and crap on the road during better weather.

Cheers

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
It sucks dude.......it sucks.

Lucky Seattle has been warmer than normal recently.

T
Sorry man, but do you think Seattle is "a more brutal" part of the world when it comes to winter. Having problems shovelling all that rain? :D

As I gaze out at the 6" of ice in my back alley that would have to be negotiated even if the streets weren't also covered with snow, ice, sand and salt, I plan rides for next summer, look online at possible farkles or improvements to my bike and riding technique, and read st-owners.com pretty much every day to hear how others are enjoying their riding experience. I guess it's a kind of virtual ride.

With any luck I'm about 6 weeks from the first opportunity to get the bike out here. A couple of weeks before that the garage and tools should be warm enough to do the annual spring maintenance. Until then the STeed sits quietly under its bike cover waiting for spring to spring.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Ah Ha. Now you are understanding a little something about winter. I lived in the Minneapolis area for 45 years. Now that I am in Colorado I always wonder how or why I lived there. I guess I didn't know better. But this February started fairly mild but then it started to snow and more snow, not like the north east but for Denver it is a lot. Everyone was whining about the snow and now the last day of the month everyone is whining that we need just two more inches of snow.

If we get two more inches of snow before midnight today we will have broken a century old snow fall record for the month of February. It is absolutely amazing how attitudes change so quickly.

Oh yea back to your I can't stand it statement. We can't either, Like others here we try to ride in every month. I did 1150 mile in January so it is doable.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Ah Ha. Now you are understanding a little something about winter. I lived in the Minneapolis area for 45 years. Now that I am in Colorado I always wonder how or why I lived there. I guess I didn't know better. But this February started fairly mild but then it started to snow and more snow, not like the north east but for Denver it is a lot. Everyone was whining about the snow and now the last day of the month everyone is whining that we need just two more inches of snow.

If we get two more inches of snow before midnight today we will have broken a century old snow fall record for the month of February. It is absolutely amazing how attitudes change so quickly.

Oh yea back to your I can't stand it statement. We can't either, Like others here we try to ride in every month. I did 1150 mile in January so it is doable.
And looking at the 14 day forecast, we will be back in the mid 60's again in about a week and a half. Will be back on the road soon. These pauses of riding during the winter give me time to catch up on Maint., Farkling, Planning etc. Have I told you all how much I love Colorado? Just put on your electric's and Go Ride.

View attachment 161905 View attachment 161906

Last edited:

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Here on the east coast of Iowa, it really does suck. We were lucky this season, it was decent riding weather on Christmas day and Boxing day. It'd been brutal every since. I'm not even fortunate enough to have a heated garage so I can go broke farkleing all winter long. Soooo, every few days I check to see that the battery tender lights look OK, give a gentle stroke across her seat, and promise we will be together again soon.

The latest 10 day forecast offers a little hope ....

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
read st-owners.com pretty much every day to hear how others are enjoying their riding experience. I guess it's a kind of virtual ride. .
+1 on that, the forum is a great way to live vicariously. I think I will give it a try later today. There's patchy ice still but mostly clear, I just don't need a 740# lap-dog.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Yep....it's all about this global warming...........glad I haven't put up my heated gear yet will plug in this next week and go ride.......;>)

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I lived and worked in So. Cal. for thirty years and mostly rode dirt bikes in the desert all winter and later street bikes in the warmer months. Twenty five years ago we retired and built our dream home in the Sierra Nevada mountains and took up snowmobiling. A good day on fresh powder boon docking cross country and high marking is as good as it gets and in the spring I am looking forward to getting back on the ST. Some of you need a winter hobby!

Ed

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Just went for a ten mile ride to put some fresh fuel in it. I'm satisfied until tomorrow!!! Long and cold winter here this year. One more month my wife and I will be in Myrtle Beach and then Florida with the bike. Can't wait!!!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
A good day on fresh powder boon docking cross country and high marking is as good as it gets and in the spring I am looking forward to getting back on the ST. Some of you need a winter hobby!

Ed

That is right. As the financial people say. Diversify ;)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's been just a week since I rode last and I feel it however seeing the same snow on the ground since I got here in MN 6 days ago convinces me I'd have a winter hobby if I lived here.

Top Bottom