How do you guys stand it?

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Get the bike parked outside in a nice snowy area, put on all your riding gear, throw up your hands and take the picture for the avatar !

We're motorcycle riders, we're suppose to be crazy.

During the winter I Ski Patrol, 38 years +, the ski patrolling/riding/motorcycle training seasons over lap a little so it's survivable.

Ride Safe when you do !

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Brutal at 40?!? We'd love to have 40s here in Iowa. Snowed Tuesday night and still have packed snow on the driveway. Street was just today looking good enough to ride around the patches of packed snow and then more snow this afternoon. Did get to ride during all the week before until Tuesday. Did a little trip around the county each of the last 3 weekends but not today. Rode every day to work except the first week of February. Can't complain too much this winter since the norm is to ride maybe 10 days out of all of Jan and Feb around here. So far have just over 900 miles this year. The temps are colder here than you southern riders are used to but I just add a few layers and keep on going any time the road is clear and dry. I used to park the bike over winter months, but that was until I had the GL1500 and couldn't wait for warmer weather to get back in the saddle. When I can't ride I read the forums, go out and work on clearing the driveway some more, read the forums, etc. I have a north facing driveway. Only those up north know what that means. When it snows north facing driveways need either warm temps to clear or lots of muscle to clear. South facing driveways seem to clear themselves so the hardest thing is to look across the street and see the driveways over there looking so nice and clear when mine is covered in ice and snow.:mad:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Most winters I farkle through the worse of the weather, as well as do much needed maintenance. However I live in an apartment now so no shop to work in, just outside- and that gets old when the temps don't get above freezing for two months straight. So, I ride. I'd rather be riding in beautiful weather but I do what I have to. I had fuel pump issues (traced to a bad pump and damaged fuse block & wiring harness) so my bike has been down for 3 weeks until today. I was climbing the walls. I was ready to coast it down hills, anything so I could be on it. Below is a short ride I took one snowy Saturday to get a pic for the Big Money Rally (pic had to be done that day).

[video=youtube_share;cTE4KkRTijk]http://youtu.be/cTE4KkRTijk[/video]

Bike
2007 ST
how do we stand it? its like hitting your head with a hammer...it feels so good when you stop (ie spring arrives)
In the meantime..we have our snowmobiles

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This was my first winter having to learn to cope, since I just joined the ranks of motorcyclists last summer. I put the bike into a storage unit at the end of November (no garage at my house, and I didn't want it out on the street, where it might have obstructed snow plowing activities) and gave myself visitation privileges every weekend. I was decorating it with new gadgets and circuits, which took until the end of January since the pace of work was slow, unsteady, and uncertain.

On a couple of days, after I was done with the work, I managed short (or not so short) rides. I freely admit to being a wuss-- ice or snow on the roads keep the bike firmly ensconced in storage, with nary a thought of going out.

Next winter I may substitute an enclosed shelter in the spot normally occupied by my car (which will then get relegated to the street), so as to (a) have easier access for spur-of-the-moment rides when opportunities present themselves, and (b) be able to attach the Battery Tender-- there's no power available at the storage unit.

Then again, I don't live in New England or Canadia-land or the Midwest, where winters can be truly awful affairs that tax one's endurance and will to continue living...

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yah from late Oct. to middle of April is a bit of a problem. The odd day you can get out but with all the salt and sand I gust park it in the shop. So over the winter that's when you add farkles and maintenance, cleaning so come spring the RTE on Ohio is about the first good ride for me. Now about the beer I hope one of thoughts kegs is Yuengling or Fat Tire. I would of thought that you would be brewing up some Moonshine LOL. I'm down that way the first week in May with my Daughter and that should be lots of fun.
Lyle

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I took the copious consumption of alcohol advice last night and today...freezing rain. Back to the kegs, I brew my own all grain recipes exactly as I like, so often there's no exact commercial comparison. I have winter brews in the kegs, a pale ale and a porter and summery brews in the fermenters, an IPA and a saisson. Hooch isn't exactly brewed. The process is actually tons simpler than beer brewing. The art is in the distillation rate and the aging...or not...

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I took the copious consumption of alcohol advice last night and today...freezing rain. Back to the kegs, I brew my own all grain recipes exactly as I like, so often there's no exact commercial comparison. I have winter brews in the kegs, a pale ale and a porter and summery brews in the fermenters, an IPA and a saisson. Hooch isn't exactly brewed. The process is actually tons simpler than beer brewing. The art is in the distillation rate and the aging...or not...
I think we should have a RTE for home brewed beer don't you think:pint

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I think we need to make a whole event out of it.
I don't know if my brewing skills warrant an RTD; but that sounds fun. For the record I am happy to share my beer and talk brewing and bikes with anyone who swings by. Just let me know ahead of time because on occasion, my planning ahead skills fail me and my kegs are dry. That happened once or twice after especially nice weekends when the alley turns into a BBQ/ beer drinking/ corn hole/ kids playing arena. Also if I know ahead of time, I can bottle some up to carry back.:D

Brutal at 40?!? We'd love to have 40s here in Iowa. Snowed Tuesday night and still have packed snow on the driveway. Street was just today looking good enough to ride around the patches of packed snow and then more snow this afternoon. Did get to ride during all the week before until Tuesday. Did a little trip around the county each of the last 3 weekends but not today. Rode every day to work except the first week of February. Can't complain too much this winter since the norm is to ride maybe 10 days out of all of Jan and Feb around here. So far have just over 900 miles this year. The temps are colder here than you southern riders are used to but I just add a few layers and keep on going any time the road is clear and dry. I used to park the bike over winter months, but that was until I had the GL1500 and couldn't wait for warmer weather to get back in the saddle. When I can't ride I read the forums, go out and work on clearing the driveway some more, read the forums, etc. I have a north facing driveway. Only those up north know what that means. When it snows north facing driveways need either warm temps to clear or lots of muscle to clear. South facing driveways seem to clear themselves so the hardest thing is to look across the street and see the driveways over there looking so nice and clear when mine is covered in ice and snow.:mad:
I hope you know I'm joking. Actually winter is the best time to ride down here, summers are actually brutal. I rode through Des Moines last July with my son on a trip to Minnesota and Michigan and it was very pleasant compared to Houston. When we went through Duluth Mn. it was in the low 40's about like a winter day in H-town.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Of course I did... just an excuse to vent about the snow packed streets here. I worked on the driveway today since it was a balmy 33*F. Took a bit of work with my square end shovel to break the packed on snow loose and then the snow shovel to remove it.

Do I sense BrewSTOC coming up?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
This winter sucks, no doubt. Snowing again today but thankfully only inches, not feet. Some winters are mild in western Mass but not this one. Jack Frost can take a flying leap.

Bike
2013 st 1300
In the winter, my primary interest is snowshoeing into my cabin and kicking back. After that, planning my summer trip on the bike, (this year to Prince Rupert), and all the various small trips I'll do, like Sept isles. I also catch up on stuff that I don't do in the summer cause I'm riding so much.

If I'm not able to ride near the end of March I'll be getting impatient.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I feel your pain... I was on travel for a month and then come home to snow/ice that hasn't cleared off the road enough for me to pull out a bike. With the temps starting to get over 32 I have my fingers crossed I will be able to at least ride to work a few times.

I did see two bikes out this morning... I'm normally the crazy one out riding when no one else is... hmmm...

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Great Day, I got to at least ride to work today. I had to bash through a little snow wall while backing down to the alley, and that took a few bumps, but after that no problems. 55F and sunny on the way home. Looks like I can ride for a few days, but wait for it... freezing rain on Thursday. Hopefully that weather will last as long as a politician's promises.

Rekoob, what's in your fridge? Nice rig.

Top Bottom