how far without alternator

Planning a trip to france in a week on a new to me 92 pan.
Am making some contingency plans, and was curious that if the alternator blew,
how far (how many miles)would I get with a car battery rigged directly to engine.

I mean, there is no FI, so the battery only has to run the ignition...

Just curious if anyone was in that situation in emergency..

Bike
VStrom 650
If it's working, chill.
All you need to know is if the .... hits the ..., breakdown cover will get you home. As there's no way in hell you'll get it fixed whilst away.
Enjoy France. But don't order Guiness, that's a whole different story!
Upt'North.

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
Don't worry about it. Check the charging system, alternator output, the red connector for corrosion, the VRR and the battery condition. The oil cooled and sealed 28 amper is very reliable.

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Planning a trip to france in a week on a new to me 92 pan.
Am making some contingency plans, and was curious that if the alternator blew,
how far (how many miles)would I get with a car battery rigged directly to engine.

I mean, there is no FI, so the battery only has to run the ignition...

Just curious if anyone was in that situation in emergency..
Just an "experienced" guess but I'd say 400 to 500 miles with a big ol charged car battery. Some friends and myself once rode 3 Valkyries back home 1,000 miles with one bikes Alt. dead. He had a voltmeter on the bike and it worked out to about every 100 miles we just switched the non charging bike's battery with another bike. Rode another 100 miles and switched again. The Valk wouldn't fire
the sprakplugs with less than 10.5 volts if I remember right.

Edit: I read Bush's reply and remembered we unplugged the headlight!

But like others said, ST's are pretty reliable. Go ride without worries!

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Like your self deprecating handle!

The battery would also have to run the lights, which draw a significant amount. Do a full system check before going, as suggested.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My father completed a trip to San Diego from NYC in a Model A Ford when the generator died early in the trip. They had the battery charged at night and the two brothers took turns standing on the running board with a flashlight looking for obstacles when it got dark.

I can think of a few better items to worry about before the alternator - like where is the next rest stop and Pub?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cupidstunt said:
was curious that if the alternator blew,
It's an interesting exercise in what if's. But if it were something that you felt you needed to consider you probably shouldn't be making the trip at all until you were sure the bike was up to it.

In a new bike such a consideration would never occur to me but strange things could happen. In a new to you bike you should be confident that system checks have made it road worthy. A ride is much nicer when you don't have think about 'what if...'

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I can think of a few better items to worry about before the alternator - like where is the next rest stop and Pub?
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the main reason the question was asked was to determine how far he could limp the bike to the next pub with a spare car battery if necessary.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the main reason the question was asked was to determine how far he could limp the bike to the next pub with a spare car battery if necessary.
Easier just to carry a spare pint instead of a spare battery. He could ensure freshness by consuming it and replacing it at the next pub.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Easier just to carry a spare pint instead of a spare battery. He could ensure freshness by consuming it and replacing it at the next pub.
unless the bike was dead, thus the question posed in the OP.

OP
OP
Many thanks for replies.
The bike is in excellent condition, and I did a charge test that seems good, I also put a infra red thermometer on the red connector and there was minimal heat.
On all my bike trips I carry a lot of tools/spares, and would rather repair than rely on roadside rescue.
After further reading, it appears a chap from the US had this issue in Moscow and managed to get home by fixing a lesiure battery to the rear seat and charging it in his hotel room each night..
Just making a contingency plan if it fails....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Put it on the rear seat and run 8ga cable to the bikes battery terminals?

8ga is probably too light to start the bike reliably if at all but if you push start it might hold up. Maybe 6ga if it's bendy enough.

Then there's putting terminals on the cables. Not all that difficult if you do it ahead of time. Maybe not as easy in a Kragen's or Pep Boys parking lot.

Turning off the headlights would help but might get you stopped during daylight. You'd what to pack a Battery Tender type device too. Maybe the 5A Tender.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Someone will correct me if I've mis-remembered this, but there was an ST1100 rider that strapped a deep-cycle car or marine battery to the back seat and was able to make it all the way back to I think Minnesota from Idaho? after a WeSTOC rally with a dead stator. As I recall he just recharged it each night in his motel room. Seems like it lasted well enough to ride all day. Typical for ST1100 riders in the US is probably around 350-500 miles a day. I think he also disconnected his head lights.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Didn't John Parker have to do the car battery trick to get home from Grand Junction? I don't recall which bike he was on that year though.

Anyway, it's a pretty well established technique for limping a bike home. Even an FI ST1300 I'd try it - I would just stay on major roads so there is access to AC power along the way. So don't try the Loneliest Road in America, in the summertime, or you may not live to regret it!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Didn't John Parker have to do the car battery trick to get home from Grand Junction? I don't recall which bike he was on that year though.

Anyway, it's a pretty well established technique for limping a bike home. Even an FI ST1300 I'd try it - I would just stay on major roads so there is access to AC power along the way. So don't try the Loneliest Road in America, in the summertime, or you may not live to regret it!
I think you're right Jim, but I was thinking about an earlier event. John had his '94 ST1100 there that I think he bought from Warren Harhay IIRC. Never saw anyone just lay an ST over on its side in the grass to work on one before!

Top Bottom