How hard is it to mount the car tire?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I've changed my toyota truck tires on the No-mar I own... The longer bar ( like the mojo )that comes with the nomar does makes it alot easier. But, I have also done it with their tire-irons.

Still think the trick of mounting is MORE lube than you think you need and proper placement of the mounting tire..in the drop zone.

In truth, the toyota tires were easier to mount than a Goldwing rear, and seemed not as stiff as the Battlax's.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I've changed my toyota truck tires on the No-mar I own... The longer bar ( like the mojo )that comes with the nomar does makes it alot easier. But, I have also done it with their tire-irons.

Still think the trick of mounting is MORE lube than you think you need and proper placement of the mounting tire..in the drop zone.

In truth, the toyota tires were easier to mount than a Goldwing rear, and seemed not as stiff as the Battlax's.
A couple weeks ago I pulled a tire from my Avalanche to patch it from the inside. I agree that it was easy as can be to pull the tire and remount it. The difference when compared to the 1300 is that the rim width for the 1300 is pretty narrow for the width of the tire. It is the only thing available. Also the large truck tires have a pretty tall sidewall which also helps. I would say it was easier to dismount and mount than the PR2 which is the easiest MC tire I have done.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Haven't done a Hanhook on the ST yet... but might due to the fact i thinking of a mc trailer and almost always ride 2 up.
I can see it being a bit more difficult due to the small drop zone of the st rim, but I'm guessing it can't be harder than a GW ( imo, a beast to get on). The GW tire just needed more lube and some choice words! :)

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I've got a guy who is an expert rider and does mechanic work. He changes my tires for $10 but not balance. He says they don't need to be balanced on a motorcycle. I am buying a balancer to check after the mounting. He mounted my Hankook on the rim on the ground with the wheel and tire ontop of another used tire and uses two hand irons and WD40 lube. He thought it was too big for the rim since it went on much easier than he thought it would--less than 3-4 minutes (by hand after breaking the bead). Did I say this guy is good and so cheap, I am not EVAR getting a machine to do them.

JDP

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't know about Car tires but for MC tires it's my experience that about 40% of the time they are out of balance... .now, does that mean it's noticeable? In many cases it's only out by any where from .5 to 1 oz which may not be something you'd ever detect... sometimes they are out quite a bit more.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Joe and I mounted the Hankook on my ST this weekend. We had to use 3 tire spoons and slowly walk them around the edge until the tire finally went on. Then at time of installation, I had to let the air out of it so that I could squeeze the tire past the caliper mount. Once clear, I bolted everything back up and aired it up.

I was dreading mounting the tire. Now that I've done it, I'd say it wasn't bad at all.

JoeP

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I don't know about Car tires but for MC tires it's my experience that about 40% of the time they are out of balance... .now, does that mean it's noticeable? In many cases it's only out by any where from .5 to 1 oz which may not be something you'd ever detect... sometimes they are out quite a bit more.

I recently bought a static balancer so will be getting the tires changed for $10 and then balancing them at home. BTW, here is a test report from SkooterG on the FJR forum who was an adamant anti car tire person until he tried one on his FJR. Read below:

"Well, yesterday I got to do my last test of the car tire - tight twisties. I was faster than I have ever been! I still can't get my head around it. It just makes no sense to me. My favorite set of twisties in Arizona - constant 20mph-30mph curves that I was taking at 35mph to 70mph. The FJR felt totally planted. More than at any other time I have ridden it. More planted led to it feeling 100% rock solid stable which gave me the total confidence to take it to extreme lean angles. I actually scraped pegs 5 times or so. Now, I am not a big peg scaper - I do it occassionally. (Remember I have custom suspension front and rear) But since the car tire actually raises the rear of the FJR I thought I would never scrape with it on there. To scrape now, I have to be leaned over more than I ever have been before. Yet there I was, hitting those lean angles I have never hit before and being totally relaxed. Usually, I feel 'tight' when at extreme lean angles. But not yesterday. Sometimes that has to deal with being 'in the zone' or not, and yesterday I was, but I have NEVER been that relaxed at hitting those extreme lean angles. I just don't get it."

I just changed to a new BT023 front and again can vouch for how much better the CT feels with a new front tire as opposed to a much used one. The old front tire makes more countersteer effort with the CT, so back to good feeling riding again with the Hankook.

JDP

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just figured out the difference!

I just received my order for 4 car tires for my Suzuki SX4. Cooper Zeon RS3-A 205/50-17 tires. I already have the Hankook in the basement. The Hankook has a 1 ply sidewall that you can grab and move easily up and down when tire is horizontal.

The Cooper has a 2 ply sidewall and it doesn't move AT ALL! I would hate to be trying to mount that Cooper on the back of my ST myself. Heck the guys at the shop will have fun mounting those Coopers on my car with a real tire machine.

So check the sidewall ply # before you buy.

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Some wing guys do use the RF so it can be done. I would hate to try by hand tho.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
DID IT! and all alone BTW. Mounted my Hankook. Actually easier to manipulate than a BT020 tire. Only problem I had was while mounting the last bead it kept trying to bead up. Finally had to resort to putting a block in the bead area oposite of where I was working. Never had to do that with a M/C tire. I geuss since the tire is so wide it's pushing outwards.

Also absolutely no pop to seat bead with air. Took it to 45 PSI. Thing was seated already with 0 PSI. I'm a little worried about this.

Still have to balance and mount on bike tomorrow.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
DID IT! and all alone BTW. Mounted my Hankook. Actually easier to manipulate than a BT020 tire. Only problem I had was while mounting the last bead it kept trying to bead up. Finally had to resort to putting a block in the bead area oposite of where I was working. Never had to do that with a M/C tire. I geuss since the tire is so wide it's pushing outwards.

Also absolutely no pop to seat bead with air. Took it to 45 PSI. Thing was seated already with 0 PSI. I'm a little worried about this.

Still have to balance and mount on bike tomorrow.
Mine went on the same way. The bead never popped in place. I have read of others with the same experience. Also while you are at it check where the tire is in reference to the valve stem. Some people have reported the tire slipping on the rim a bit. I think mine has. If this happens it kind of reduces the need to balance. Or it might make the products like dynabeads more desireable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2006 ST1300
Took it to 45 PSI. Thing was seated already with 0 PSI. I'm a little worried about this.
What is there to worry about? Its a wider tire, so the bead set easier. I'm on my 3rd Hankook. I was going to go with a Goodyear this time, but funds at the time didn't allow it. My next CT will be a Goodyear though.

Top Bottom