How I serviced the bike

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Heck I do more than that just taking a bike hostage for an OCD Inspection:rofl1:
Now for those of you who wrench on things….
How many things did you see done wrong and/or incorrectly in that video?
I spotted about a half dozen things right off, and these are TEAM mechanics.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I watched it on a tiny screen, so I didn't see a lot of detail, but they were surely click-happy with their torque wrenches... click- click-clicka-click!
Perhaps they didn't use a cross- patten putting the bolts back in the clutch cover.
And lots and lots of aerosol cans, but KTM is a Euro brand, so I'm sure the World Health Organization has approved those cans for use in a sparsely- populated desert ecosystem.
No glaring errors to these amateur eyes... tell us what you saw.

OP
OP
W0QNX

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Heck I do more than that just taking a bike hostage for an OCD Inspection:rofl1:
Now for those of you who wrench on things….
How many things did you see done wrong and/or incorrectly in that video?
I spotted about a half dozen things right off, and these are TEAM mechanics.
Front caliper hanging by the hose.
Oil drain plug back in before the filter is off.
He sprayed the guy walking at 4:08. :biggrin:
Didn't line up the fork bottoms to OCD nominals. :eek:
We must assume they torqued the fork axle pinch nuts sometime
crooked nose wire pliers in the brake pads, should have been a big ol screwdriver :cool:

Lack of rattlers for sure!

What did you catch Larry?

Bike
R1200rt
Some of you have asked (nobody) how I serviced the Black Pearl so well to have made it last so long. This is not my video but it is about a copy of how I service my bike. I did this at each oil change which is every 10,000 miles.

;)
Must be nice to have a pit crew:biggrin:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
They spent more time detailing all the logos and pretty KTM orange paint than inspecting stuff:rofl1:
The kid does not know how to hold, or pull on a torque wrench that’s for sure.
The brake flush and bleed was pretty funny as well..let’s just pump it to rapidly, and yank the bleeder open a full quarter turn, again too quickly.
Alas, these guys probably have several crate engines and parts to just replace stuff. They don’t care if the bike survives after it crosses the line, only that the logo’s are clean and it looks good.
no telling what gas mileage your bike would get, or how good the brakes could work if it were done by someone else :rofl1:

The maintenance is about like the drag racers who se engine life is in minutes to seconds, or Nascar where it is rated in laps or miles, qualifying plus at most 600 miles, unlike the Black Pearl which will defined by Millenia with untold miles, Getting OCD is always the best, but you have to work hard to hurt an ST.

Bike
VStrom 650
Personally? Loved it.
You'd think with all them mistakes they'd never win desert races and there'd be bits of KTM all over the Sahara.
Of course they didn't spend hours on the brakes....... :think1: ........oh yeh, it hasn't got an antiquated inferior braking system.
Upt and still impressed.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Almost all parts and fluids changed the easy way. Lowered pegs, bar risers, tankbag, ring, luggage, tail rack, hugger, and seat not not serviced; moved over. I had to tell 4 people: "no I don't work here I'm a customer". :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Almost all parts and fluids changed the easy way. Lowered pegs, bar risers, tankbag and ring, luggage and tail rack, hugger, and seat not not serviced; moved over. I had to tell 4 people: "no I don't work there I'm a customer". :rofl1:

Tom
So you did get it!... aw man... congrats!..

I was tempted by this one, great price for a low mileage bike and includes saddlebags. I don't love the color but then I kinda do since it's unique...

OP
OP
W0QNX

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good job with that 100% service Tom. I had an idea it was about time for you for a new Beemer bike. Good job on squeezing the dealer out of his money!!! That is a nice paint job on that bike.

Can you do a little service work on my bike please?

Top Bottom