How long can you really stay alert?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder how long a surgeon can maintain his concentration and alertness? Every once in a while I hear about a marathon surgery that took 12, 14 hours and I wonder what kind of work was being done after the first 10.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm one of the people that jodog hates. I can be perfectly functional for 40+hours straight, and then crash for 48hours and not wake up.

In my case, my youngest child had breathing difficulties when he was born. He was making too much mucus while sleeping and suffocating himself. Anyone reading this will know that as a parent, you'll do whatever the hell it takes to put that back of the right path. So I did. For 3 years & 2 sets of operations. For at least the following 6 years he had the "wonderful" habit of running into the bedroom and diving on top of me, so I developed the habit of sensing him coming and I'd be awake if he was within a 6ft radius of me.

Now, if the sun is up, even with black out curtains, I'm awake. Nothing I can do about it. He's now 18 years old and loves nothing more than sleeping in until 6pm - so I delight in waking him up at 7am.

My answer to the thread - if you have a reason to stay alert and responsive, you'll stay awake. If you don't, an ambulance crew will likely pick you up. Please don't make them pick you up, pull over and check into a motel/hotel before that happens. Recognise the signs of inattentiveness early, and stop riding. There's no shame in it.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This is an accident that happened Friday night about 25 miles from here. It doesn’t say what the reason for the incident was but every year at harvest time there are farmers that end up in accidents because they are working against the prediction of inclement weather so sleep deprivation causes mishaps, this vehicle probably traveled 40 km/h or less but a few second micro sleep and here is possible result.

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Found it.
I skimmed the article; I'm sure I've seen it before.
In the Symptoms of Fatigue sidebar, one that I didn't see but which is a personal indicator is "not being able to maintain a constant speed", without cruise control or a throttle lock.
I know I'm done when my speed starts going wonky.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I find riding the twisties (more technical roads) tires me out both mentally and physically faster than straight line highway riding. But those highways can be a problem too, as the mind can wander when not challenged.

Top Bottom