• DEALER- 6+ YEARS

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
You need to add a 1 year column for the Dealer battery. My original was replaced under warranty at 3 years and the replacement lasted about a year and it was toast.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
You need to add a 1 year column for the Dealer battery. My original was replaced under warranty at 3 years and the replacement lasted about a year and it was toast.
Is there a way to edit it? I can edit the post, but don't see a way to edit the poll.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I don't remember how long the original lasted, but I replaced with an OEM and got 1 year. Since then, I've replaced with a much cheaper Batteries+ battery and get about 2 years out of them. Doing the math, that would put me at about 4 years for the OEM, but it may have been 5.

I replaced the OEM battery in April 2010 with a Yuasa YTZ14S (not Honda branded) battery. It started cranking slow this summer. I parked the bike at the end of Nov. and went to start it last Sat. - not enough charge to turn the bike over. That's about 30 months. Not impressed. I charge periodically during the down season (as I have with all my bikes).

Bike
'05 ST1300
I'm still on the original battery. The bike is an '05 that I bought new in July '06. Have been thinking of replacing it, so far it has never let me down. The bike is garaged during the winter and I put a tender on it about one week out of four during that time. Ed

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
The OEM honda battery lasted from 2007 to 2011. I replaced with a Yusasa YTZ14S non-OEM in August of 2011. I am now in need of a new a battery, the replacement lasted 18 months. When I do the math, I think I would have been better to pay the 40% premium and get the OEM battery. But after reading the comments. It is a crap shoot. I am torn.
Kenny

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think I would have been better to pay the 40% premium and get the OEM battery.
And where do you have a connection to get a true OEM battery as a replacement, except from our vendor on this forum? Or are you confusing dealer replacement for OEM?

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
My '09 was a leftover in 2010. It was about a year and a half old when purchased. In late 2012 the battery faulted and would not start the bike once when I was out in the wilds of Arkansas. It started a few minutes later, so I hightailed it back home and took it to the local Honda dealer to bench test the battery. No problems showed up, but I lost confidence in it, so I bought a replacement of the same model. So far the new battery has worked with no issues. The OEM battery was always on a battery tender during its downtime and was about 3 1/2 years old.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
And where do you have a connection to get a true OEM battery as a replacement, except from our vendor on this forum? Or are you confusing dealer replacement for OEM?
Are you telling me that the Honda Dealer is going to sell me a replacment battery and call it OEM? The Honda dealer did give me the option to buy Yuasa or OEM. Is this OEM is a knock off of the real OEM?
Kenny

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Are you telling me that the Honda Dealer is going to sell me a replacment battery and call it OEM? The Honda dealer did give me the option to buy Yuasa or OEM. Is this OEM is a knock off of the real OEM?
Kenny
This has been discussed in several threads. The replacement battery that you pay so much for at the dealer has a different case and different markings than what was put in your bike at the factory. And the most convincing evidence is that the one that came with our bikes often last 5-6 years, while the replacements are often only good for two. That is the point of this poll, to try to get a reading of how long your dealer replacement battery lasted compared to the original, so we can get some real numbers.

I believe you can change your answer to the poll if you misunderstood.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Mine lasted about 30 months and I use a tender all the time. I sure hope the one I just got lasts longer than that. If not I'll be trying something else.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
The replacement battery that you pay so much for at the dealer has a different case and different markings than what was put in your bike at the factory
The Yuasa I got from Honda Direct Line was a twin to the original equipment it replaced. Except the original was dirtier. :shrug2:

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
The Yuasa I got from Honda Direct Line was a twin to the original equipment it replaced. Except the original was dirtier. :shrug2:
Including the mold marks on the battery and the stickers on it? I've never seen anyone else report this. Any chance your battery was replaced by the dealer under warranty or before you bought the bike?

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Including the mold marks on the battery and the stickers on it? I've never seen anyone else report this. Any chance your battery was replaced by the dealer under warranty or before you bought the bike?
I didn't give it that thorough an inspection and both bike and battery are gone now. Sitting side by side, nothing visual prompted me to say 'hey that's not the same thing'. I bought the bike new (current model year at the time), with 0 miles, so pre-delivery replacement is highly unlikely.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
... so pre-delivery replacement is highly unlikely.
Depending on how long it sat at the dealer before being sold, a possibility does exist that the dealer could have replaced it. I'm not saying they did, but it is a possibility. Many ST's sat for a couple years before being sold "new." My original Yuasa died prematurely & so did the replacement Yuasa. The Odyssey battery I installed next (see post #17 above) has been starting the bike fine for 40 months now.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Depending on how long it sat at the dealer before being sold, a possibility does exist that the dealer could have replaced it.
The original could have also been pulled to sell to a customer so they didn't have to wait for an order to come in...not uncommon to rob parts off a new vehicle and replace them after. I've had dealers do it for me (I didn't ask, they offered) and when working at the cage dealership, we did it all the time.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Depending on how long it sat at the dealer before being sold, a possibility does exist that the dealer could have replaced it. I'm not saying they did, but it is a possibility. Many ST's sat for a couple years before being sold "new." My original Yuasa died prematurely & so did the replacement Yuasa. The Odyssey battery I installed next (see post #17 above) has been starting the bike fine for 40 months now.
If they did replace it, we need to find out where it was sourced from. It lasted 8 years tho I treated it very poorly. (I bought my 2004 in 2004, so the bike didn't sit for long. The battery may have been sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long prior to being installed)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Original Yuasa lasted from March 06 until July 012. Replacement Bikemaster gel battery was DOA and would not start the bike after installation. That was returned for another Yuasa which works fine but is less than 1 year old now.

Top Bottom