How much oil needed for Sonic Springs upgrade?

STOC #
JDP;
Can't help you with the Lucas viscosity question. As it's been said here fork oils are not regulated. Which makes it nearly impossible to equate one brand to another. Dave's link may give you some insight on how the Lucas stuff compares to Honda's SS8 which they call a 10w. Am I the only one that finds that a bit stupid?!!

I did a 7.5w Honda mix cuz that's what I had in the stock setup, and that's what Dave did :eek::. Then, there's another Honda HP fork oil that's yet another complication that I know nothing about.

I still enjoyed working on the forks, reading what others did and getting it all back together without any extra parts. And it working properly to boot!

Dave;
I agree, if we wanted "sport" we'd be riding a CBR or something. Although, you'd look good on one.

I'm thinking that since I really notice how harsh the rear is now, the front must be working better. I'll first do the adjuster thing and maybe get the shock rebuilt before the fall. Was the shock R/R a pain?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I mixed 2 parts Honda SS7 5wt to 1 part Honda SS8 10wt for 6.7wt. I had tried Bel Ray 10wt and did not like it as it was too harsh. I wanted less compression damping with a lighter oil and I felt going from Honda 10 to 5 was too large a jump so the 2:1 mix was an experiment. I think Jeff W. had posted that he tried 7.5 Honda with stock forks and it wasn't that much of a change and 5 might be too light hence 6.7. Once you have had the forks out a few times it isn't such a big deal to pull them for oil changes but I immediately liked the 6.7 and did not make further changes.

Jim,

There are a couple of shortcuts to the service manual procedure when doing the rear shock R/R outlined in a thread probably found in https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?7679-ST1300-Rear-Shock-Removal

It isn't difficult to do.

Top Bottom