Jackets How much protection does a mesh jacket provide?

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are any number of testimonials by guys who got off their bike at speed while wearing full protection (Aerostitch and Klim come immediately to mind). What can we expect from a mesh jacket? I've noticed all of the mesh gear I looked at when I visited Iron Pony in Columbus, Ohio had armor on shoulders, elbows, and some back protection, so this is not a question concerning different kinds or amounts of armor. Rather, what will the sleeves and chest mesh protect?

Has anyone here departed his bike and slid down the pavement wearing mesh? Any road rash?

Having recently bought an Olympia mesh jacket, I feel almost protectionless on cool mornings when 60 deg. air whistles through the jacket. That said, I'm seriously considering an airbag vest to add another layer of protection.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I use a semi mesh type abd it protected me sliding on a chop-n-seal surface. Older First Gear jacket.

But ful mesh?? Umm... not for me.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've had getoffs in mesh, basically not a problem. My Olympia Dakar is not full mesh but has solid panels at elbows, outside part of arms, shoulders, etc. Had a wee low speed getoff on a diesel fuel spill and other than a couple of marks and scuffs, and know the padding did its job at elbows and knees. Olympia uses some of the better Cordura fabrics.

I think it would work as well as you think it would. I wear a slightly padded mesh at any temp higher then 85 degrees because I find them cooler then riding with just a t shirt because it keeps the sun off of you. I would expect it to shred during a high speed slide but a low speed get off would probably save you from some road rash. Most of them have some padding or armor on the pressure points like elbows and shoulders and that would help with the "Day after joint pain".

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Road rash heals a lot better than broken bones. If your mesh jacket has impact spreading protection on your elbows, shoulders and back, you are better off than not having that protection, even in the unlikely event you go down and accumulate a few scabs.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter with upgraded T5 Armour. But I do have an Olympia Mesh jacket that I occasionally wear.

Mesh itself is NO protection for a get-off. Depends on how much armour you have in the mesh. No armour means no protection.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a getoff at 65MPH back in 1987, Ski Jacket and polyester pants...

I also had a getoff at around 30mph with a solid MC jacket and MC riding pants. I did much better in the later!

I wished they would have had mesh back in 1987! :(

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I had a lowside back in 2002 at 65 MPH while wearing a BMW 'Airflow' mesh jacket & pants. It had armour (pads) on the elbows, knees, shoulders, hips, and back area.

I slid along the paved road for quite a distance, then off into the gravel. Got up and walked away, no bruises or injuries.

I think there are two variables that matter: 1) Gotta have armour (pads) in the right places, and; 2) The mesh needs to be reasonably tough.

I still have that outfit, and still wear it during hot weather.

Michael

Mesh Protects...

Bike
R1200rt
I had a lowside back in 2002 at 65 MPH while wearing a BMW 'Airflow' mesh jacket & pants. It had armour (pads) on the elbows, knees, shoulders, hips, and back area.

I slid along the paved road for quite a distance, then off into the gravel. Got up and walked away, no bruises or injuries.

I think there are two variables that matter: 1) Gotta have armour (pads) in the right places, and; 2) The mesh needs to be reasonably tough.

I still have that outfit, and still wear it during hot weather.

Michael

Mesh Protects...
and hope you don't go into a tumble!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
IMO, a good mesh jacket will not provide the same protection as a good textile jacket, assuming equal amounts of armor. That being said, I commute and wear mesh about 6 months out of the year, too hot for my full textile jacket. Mesh (especially with a little armor) is way better than nothing, and for me the risk/benefit is acceptable.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
I wear a tourmaster mesh/textile jacket in the hot months (S.C.) it has elbow, shoulder and spine protectors, I’m sure it’s not as protective as full leathers but it’s a heck of a lot better than a cotton shirt!

Bike
2000 ST1100
I had a "get off" high side at city street speed (tapped from behind, I am told). The Joe Rocket mesh protected well with only a small rash where the textile covering the elbow pad rolled over allowing the mesh to get between me and the road. The rash area was about an inch in diameter. It might not have happened if I had snapped the strap that tightens the sleeve around the elbow holding the elbow pad in place.

It didn't, nor do I believe would any better jacket have protected me from the shattered collar bone.

Riding: It is a dangerous activity. Decide what level of protection you are comfortable wearing.

As a side note. The Scorpion Full Face helmet was crushed soft on the side, I still have no recollection of the crash as a result of the concussion. But road rash was the least of my injuries. and, all that at approximately 45 mph. Good Gear Rules!

Post Script: I was riding my '81 CB650, Fortunately not the ST.
jim

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I can't think of any mesh jackets that don't have full textile on the shoulders and elbows at least. As long as the armor is decent and the jacket is snug (so that the armor doesn't shift from what it's supposed to be protecting) you should be OK in a low speed get off.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Road rash heals a lot better than broken bones. If your mesh jacket has impact spreading protection on your elbows, shoulders and back, you are better off than not having that protection, even in the unlikely event you go down and accumulate a few scabs.
When I first started in the USAF many years ago, one of the men in our unit went off his bike in the Olympic Penninsula. He got scraped up some and went into a local clinic to get cleaned up. On Monday, he went into the McChord AFB Clinic and had them look at it again. On Tuesday, he went into the Madigan Army Hospital. On Thursday, he died.

We never found out exactly what happened to him, but some kind of infection got into those road rash wounds that didn't get cleaned out, even with several clinics treating it. By Thursday, his lean 5'10" athletic frame had swelled up another 100 lbs.

Like RaYzerman, I have an Olympia Dakar jacket. It has a lot of mesh on it to flow air, but also has some good quality Cordura in the areas prone to sliding on pavement. It's a good mix.

FWIW, I always wear a Hit-Air airbag vest.

Chris

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Agree with Chris. I work in the medical device space and have worked with many neuro and ortho surgeons. Their comments about road rash, how bad it can be, how hard it is to treat (clean) and how long it lasts (infection) make me think a broken bone is the better outcome of the two. Of course, it depends on how bad each one is.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
When I first started in the USAF many years ago, one of the men in our unit went off his bike in the Olympic Penninsula. He got scraped up some and went into a local clinic to get cleaned up. On Monday, he went into the McChord AFB Clinic and had them look at it again. On Tuesday, he went into the Madigan Army Hospital. On Thursday, he died.
Was he wearing a mesh jacket when that happened or just bare armed? Tragic, but I would still take a little road rash (and have ... had to sleep on my stomach for 3 weeks due to a lousy wheelie I pulled in 1973 wearing blue jeans and wore a layer or three of skin off my tookus) than broken bones (did that just last September and that required 6 weeks to heal) .

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Does it matter? He got road rash. It got infected, despite three clinics and a major hospital cleaning the wounds. He died.

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does it matter?
I'd say so. As the Ferret said it's tragic but less road rash might have made the difference between life and death and the type of protective gear would be a big consideration.

Two other variables could be where he sustained his injuries and what the road surface might have contained that caused the infection. Another is the quality of medical care he received or may not have received.

You can't always do anything about the latter (though I was given a choice between Memorial and Stanford hospitals) but you can choose you level of protective gear for riding.

Top Bottom