Jackets How much protection does a mesh jacket provide?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well a mesh jacket may have limited the severity of his rash. Obviously not everyone that gets rashed up dies, so there was something unusual about that particular accident. Something about the surface maybe? Especially confusing, seeing as he went to 3 medical facilities and died withing a few days of the accident. Maybe he caught an infection at the first hospital?

I worked in the mc industry from 1972-1989, saw a fair amount of riders rashed up in those 17 years. Can't remember any of them dying from it. Some ugly scars, oh yea,on the really bad cases. We didn't have much protective gear in the late 60's, early 70's, a Bates or Brooks leather jacket if you had a little money. A mesh jacket with armor would have been nice. Certainly would be more protective than a T shirt which is what we rode in a lot when it got hot. Heck this group rides well protected but I still see riders every day riding in tank tops, shorts and gym shoes., no gloves and maybe a helmet if they are lucky. I'd worry about them a lot less if they were wearing a mesh jacket at least..maybe some long pants.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just another anecdote... Canadian Ian Smith(?) spent a WeSTOC in bandages when he had a getoff on Rattlesnake Grade enroute to the rally. He had a good brand name mesh jacket but the crash pads didn’t stay in place, shifted off and the mesh tore exacerbating the damage.

I’d recommend quality current mesh gear if you’re going to buy, and get the correct size. I see some have small straps around the pads to snug up the fit.

Since 1988 I’ve worn an Aerostich RoadCrafter 2pc full-time/year-round with heated jacket or cooling vest as needed. Sometimes on the same day! YMMV

My son spent 3 weeks in a burn ward after a getoff. Muscle from his back removed and transplanted to patch the hole on the outside of his knee. A 4”x8” skin graft from his thigh to cover the rest of the ground hamburger. Broke his thumb and ground off one of his nipples. Had to don a mask, gloves, hairnet, and smock to even get into his ward. God bless those surgeons that saved his leg. ATGATT ever since for me. He passed out in the heat. I’ve learned a lot about dealing with heat and human physiology since then. I’ve ridden safely for hours in >100°F. 115°F once for a good while.

I can only afford one quality riding suit. My first RC was replaced with another after 23 years when the seam sealing tape finally failed. I still wear it locally when it’s not going to rain. If I had a daily commute these days, I’d buy and use one of the quality phase-change cooling vests available.

Well... that’s my ocassional, little ATGATT rant. As always JMNSHO, and YMMV

John

Last edited:
The difference is mesh and a lot of textiles are one use items, you slide you replace. Aerostich and I assume Klim can be sent back for repairs and go again.
Leather is still the best. The average get off is 30 mph for all bike wrecks so we aint talking a bunch of sliding. If you like to drag knees and challenge your skeletel structure get leather. IMHO

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Just a basic observation in that the Olympia air glide mesh jacket and pants I wear 85%+ of the time I'm on a bike are mesh and do have armor at knees, elbows, shoulders and back. That said, given the fit of the jackets and pants, and I am wearing the correct sizes, is such that I often wonder if during a real accident type scenario would the armor be in the right position to really offer the protection it should?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Motoport Kevlar mesh jacket and pant with Quad Armor.
Best protection available.

Bike
R1200rt
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Road rash heals a lot better than broken bones. If your mesh jacket has impact spreading protection on your elbows, shoulders and back, you are better off than not having that protection, even in the unlikely event you go down and accumulate a few scabs.
That is the original point. Whether he was wearing mesh, or not, road rash can be more serious than a broken bone.

All the rest of the speculation, misses the original point.

Chris

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I recently stopped in at the Klim Headquarters in Rigby, ID and they were so kind as to give us a tour. Pretty impressive R&D going on and their new mesh looks pretty good as far as withstanding abrasion from the road.
If I didn't own a Olympia MX2 suit, I would be seriously considering upgrading. Need to save up a bit first though.

https://www.klim.com/News/441

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well getting struck and/or run over by a vehicle after a get off can be worse that a broken bone or road rash. In which case I would speculate that mesh leather Kevlar and armor might not make a difference.

Of course it depends on how bad each one is. And how many vehicles hit the rider.

Reactions: T_C
Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
" but I still see riders every day riding in tank tops, shorts and gym shoes., no gloves and maybe a helmet if they are lucky. I'd worry about them a lot less if they were wearing a mesh jacket at least..maybe some long pants."
I see those folks riding every day! Even in flip-flops! I always think to myself " that guys never fallen" when it comes to protective apparel, some are of course better than others, but any is better than none! Gloves are the most overlooked item during the hot weather. But I can assure you if you go down one thing is sure to hit the pavement and that is your hands!
Ride Safe!

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
" I'd worry about them a lot less.... "
I see those folks riding every day! Even in flip-flops!
I don't worry about them, I just hope that they are lucky enough never to test out the abrasion resistance and protective qualities of their T-shirts and flip flops.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I was doing a ride-a-long with my son a few years ago. We got a call for a motorcycle crash. When we got there the FD was already on scene treating the rider. It was a woman who was wearing jeans , t-shirt and no helmet. The car turned left in front of her. She was pretty groggy as the FD was trying to talk to her. She had a baseball size knot just above her eye. A fireman said, "I guess you'll wear a helmet from now on"? She said, "Why, I didn't die?"

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I was doing a ride-a-long with my son a few years ago. We got a call for a motorcycle crash. When we got there the FD was already on scene treating the rider. It was a woman who was wearing jeans , t-shirt and no helmet. The car turned left in front of her. She was pretty groggy as the FD was trying to talk to her. She had a baseball size knot just above her eye. A fireman said, "I guess you'll wear a helmet from now on"? She said, "Why, I didn't die?"
Yes, had she died, that would have been enough to convince her to wear one. :rolleyes:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Gloves are the most overlooked item during the hot weather. But I can assure you if you go down one thing is sure to hit the pavement and that is your hands!
A long time ago I read an explanation of why gloves are a critical part of motorcycle gear that need to be worn at all times. This is in addition to the obvious protection against road rash. Below is the gist of what the article claimed.

During a get-off and while you are falling to the ground (assuming you are falling face first) you will instinctively put your arms out to brace your fall. You can not stop yourself from doing this. It is an instinctual reaction hard-wired in to us to protect the head and brain at all costs. What happens if you have no gloves on is that immediately the pain you feel in your hands is unbearable so you lift your hands up off of the road to make the pain stop- another instinctual response. In doing so, because your body is still falling to the ground at speed, your face slams down against the ground. In response to that you put your hands down again and this cycle continues to repeat until you have lost sufficient momentum to be able to hold your face off of the pavement without the use of your hands. Even if you have a full face helmet on you will do this due to the instinct for self preservation.

We have had a couple of really hot summers the last few years. Nothing like what many of you down South but hot for us. We are not used to riding in it and many of us don't have gear that is really suitable for hot weather unless you want heat-stroke. As a result I have been wondering about mesh gear so this thread is proving interesting.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
A long time ago I read an explanation of why gloves are a critical part of motorcycle gear that need to be worn at all times. This is in addition to the obvious protection against road rash. Below is the gist of what the article claimed.

During a get-off and while you are falling to the ground (assuming you are falling face first) you will instinctively put your arms out to brace your fall. You can not stop yourself from doing this. It is an instinctual reaction hard-wired in to us to protect the head and brain at all costs. What happens if you have no gloves on is that immediately the pain you feel in your hands is unbearable so you lift your hands up off of the road to make the pain stop- another instinctual response. In doing so, because your body is still falling to the ground at speed, your face slams down against the ground. In response to that you put your hands down again and this cycle continues to repeat until you have lost sufficient momentum to be able to hold your face off of the pavement without the use of your hands. Even if you have a full face helmet on you will do this due to the instinct for self preservation.

We have had a couple of really hot summers the last few years. Nothing like what many of you down South but hot for us. We are not used to riding in it and many of us don't have gear that is really suitable for hot weather unless you want heat-stroke. As a result I have been wondering about mesh gear so this thread is proving interesting.
Yep. That is why the Held Galaxy race gloves I own have an extra layer of kangaroo skin on the outside of the palm and there are metal "rivets" embedded in it so your hands "slide" when they hit the pavement.

Attachments

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I recently did the same sort of thing. My coat, pants, helmet and air bag are good quality...but my summer gloves are really old. Seeing some of the stitching starting to come apart from age, convinced me to go with something better.

I picked up the Cortech Impulse RR glove in hi-vis.

I found it interesting that even though they seem like they should be hot, they didn't seem any hotter than some Icon full mesh gloves.

Chris

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Chris tested full Kevlar mesh from motoport. She slid , by my pacing the distance, 100yards. Yes the road was wet. She had a nickel sized wear spot and no other damage. We are very pleased to have spent the cash on the motoport gear.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I just finished a 4,000 mile ride from Toronto through North & South Dakota, up to Manitoba, then back home across the top of the great lakes.

Before I left, I debated what outfit to take - my BMW Airflow Mesh jacket & pants, or my Aerostitch Transit leather outfit. I eventually decided to wear the leathers, because I thought I would be at greater risk from cold temperatures in the evening up north than from hot temperatures during the day.

I had a couple of mildly uncomfortable days in South Dakota when the temperatures were in the high 90s, but it wasn't unbearable. Coming home, riding in mid-50s temperatures at night with a heated vest underneath, I was glad I took the leathers.

I've owned both outfits for a few years now, and find that I gravitate to the leather outfit for all but extreme summer temperatures (over 30°C, 100°F). The mesh is great when it is that hot out, but for long trips, I think the leather is a better choice - not so much for protection but for temperature-related comfort.

I don't wear much under the leathers in hot weather - just underwear and a polo shirt.

Michael

Bike
VStrom 650
Everything you wear is a compromise, just like everything else in life.
For best protection a leather one or two piece zipped together with full CE armour on knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and back. The leather should be thick enough and good enough to protect from slide injuries with double or triple stitched seams. Gloves should have armour to knuckles and kevlar palm protection. Boots should have protection to shins and ankles with suitable under foot protection. Obviously if there's no gortex type liner you will also need waterproofs.
Sounds hot doesn't it, and it is. That's the compromise. If you are unfortunate enough to test the outfit you will have the best possible protection but don't forget you will need the suit to be made to measure to work at its best. I have been fortunate enough to have handmade made to measure suits, amazing but glad I wasn't picking up the bill.
Of course the above outfit in 100 degree heat will cause its own issues especially in slower riding scenarios where dehydration and heat exhaustion could be more dangerous than riding in a mesh suit.
I suppose what I'm rambling on about (forgive me, it's just about bed time here) is that you should ride in the best equipment you can afford to suit the conditions that include the best armour possible.
I haven't found any textile that holds the armour inplace as good as leather, but what do I ride in, textile because it's an acceptable compromise that suits my riding conditions.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom