Jackets How much protection does a mesh jacket provide?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think most of us realized what that article states. Even an Aerostitch Roadcrafter and Shuberth Helmet isn't going to save your bacon if you run head on into an oncoming semi or a concrete bridge abutment at 50 mph. Most of the gear we wear protects us from low speed impacts and low speed sliding on the ground. At high speed, if you come off, even without hitting anything, you are most likely going to start tumbling and breaking bones regardless of the armor in your gear. A good helmet can save your life at low speeds, in a lot of instances (not all), but isn't going to do anything for your limbs, your skin, or protect from internal organ damage.

Risky thing we do, this motorcycle riding.
Speaking, unfortunately from personal experience a number of years ago, the ticket to minimizing injury and road rash is good gear and a lowside type accident where you are on the ground quickly and do not tumble and then you slide to a stop without hitting anything or have someone run over you. Being 17 and in relatively good shape helps as well.........

I was having a coffee in a roadside shop and 3 SS riders came in and sat in the booth next to me. They had a long discussion about helmets and gear in general. All 3 were wearing leathers, full boots etc, the whole works, and they seemed to being saying that this gear would protect them in a highway speed head on collision. At first I thought they were joking, but as the discussion continued I realized they were quite serious in their belief that their gear would be effective in that type of accident.

Top Bottom