How to modify H4 led to reduce glare ST1300

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Changing the Shield will put light back where you do NOT want it. The real issue is that the low beam is slightly out of focus by design. If you add spacers you can tighten the beam but you will also lower the height of the high beam. Every thing is a compromise. You only need to move the light bulb back about 0.1 inches to get it at the focus point. maybe add 0.05 inch spacer. Just loosen the retaining clip and manually pull it back to see how it works. But also check how it affects the high beam pattern. Cyclops adventure sports has spacers that you can get to do this. The leds output more lumens than the halogen but it spreads out the light more across the road. You actually see the same distance down the road but with the LEDs the sides are lit up better. If you want to see further down the road you will need to add narrow spot LED (pencil) beams. Which is what I have done and is the better solution IMHO. The shield only blocks about 20% of the light from the leds.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have a set of H-4 adapters from my old ST1100 that are about .030". I'll try installing these and see if it moves me in the right direction.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Good news for all of us.

It appears that the OEMs have found my thread. (with a little prodding from me and on their own.) and there will be lights coming to dealers near you that have a SHIELD to prevent glare. Yes real DOT worthy LED lights. The internet and e-mail is amazing that one person can make an improvement that will benefit all of us going forward. enjoy....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I thank our friendly neighborhood spiderman for valiant efforts which bore unexpected and welcome results. I can't wait to see an updated product. DOT approval would be a big plus.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I got the lights and they work very well. I will post some pictures later when I get time...... stay tuned.

Oh one small detail I forgot to mention..

Look carefully at a H4 halogen bulb from the top down and you will find that there is a slight 15 degree twist in its mounting. This makes the shield lower on the driver side of the bulb and higher on the passenger side. This will create the up tilt on the right side of the road. The original 3800 lumen H4 does not have this twist since it had no shield so it will give a flat beam in the ST.

However, if you look at a DRZ headlight, the mounting slots are offset by 15 degrees to make the H4 halogen a flat beam. If you put the shielded 3800 LED into the DRZ housing you
are now twisted 15 degrees in the WRONG direction! (or 30 degrees from where is should be.) Fortunately the way the 3800 gets mounted you can twist it back to being straight up and down.
There are more that might have this problem. But if you live in a country where they drive on the other side of the road you are good to go...

Or just take off the plate (Phillips head screws) and drill/slot the two small holes 15 degrees offset from the original to make it flat and/or 30 degrees to get the up tilt...

but one of the new lights added the twist so it will be a plug and play option. Just mounted it up.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
EVTEK Electronic co. G6 led

http://evitekhid.en.alibaba.com/product/60378328532-802304774/Wholesale_Price_H4_H7_Super_Bright_8_48V_Led_Headlight_12V_H4_High_Low_Led_Headlight_Kit.html

Tell Cindy Z that I sent you there.

This is the light with the proper twist just like the H4 halogen. Notice on the low beam the light flare on the right which is suppose to light up street signs (per DOT req).
These are mounted on my ST1300. The DRZ will make a flat beam with this light. And the high beam is where it is suppose to be. No spacers just plug in (optimize the beam height) and ride.
They are too new and are not yet DOT approved. but they have the beam pattern and cut off that is required by DOT Photometric requirements in table XX.
My bike was on the kickstand with a board under it so it was not quite level. I will be riding with them next week. My one hour home bound commute is after dark.

more data to come....

EVTekG6Shielded.jpg

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
So with the link above you have to buy in bulk. I am thinking about heading this direction but still not sure which ones are the best for my ST and other vehicles.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I went back and checked. I too failed to get an order through the web site. I emailed the vendor through the web site. You have to register to make contact. Cindy Zhou was my contact there and she arranged a way to pay through PayPal for one light. I just emailed her and warned her that many others are going to do the same. I asked if they will have a site where we can buy individually or if there was a USA vendor that was going to carry their product. I will let you know their response.

for the record I told her last summer to have their engineers look at this thread to see my work. I used this public forum to get them the information to modify their product!

do not rely on the stated lumens. It is just a maximum data sheet number that may not be the implementation. I did notice that the new version turns off the low beam Leds on high beam. I gave feed back that we would prefer to have all four Leds illuminated on high beam. But they might have had to do that to make it more DOT compliant.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks for all this hard work. Really appreciated. I have emailed Cindy. Will let you know the outcome.

Bike
2010 ST1300
They took my order for just one....
I assume you meant you ordered one pair. What was the price? Did that include shipping? I assume you hit the 'contact seller' button to order these.

Does the heat sink preclude use of the rubber boot on the back of the headlight shell?

Great post. Thanks a million.

Bike
2010 ST1300
OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Who would believe any power and lumen information ?
measured power low high

original G3 V16 3800 17 watts 28 watts
new G6 shielded 4500 18 watts 18 watts
up led 15 watts 15 watts
mesh led 17 watts 17 watts
no fan h4 13 watts 13 watts
big LED h4 30 watts 30 watts (light in all the wrong places)

I do not have an integrating sphere to accurately measure lumens but using a light meter 3 feet from each bulb i get very similar light level readings.
So do not get hung up on the small measureable details.

Running the new G6 shielded bulb for the first time it seems to be just as good as my custom shielded original G3 3800 led. I did noticed that it better lights up the right side of the road due to the twist. The cut off is nice and clean. I can see the line on the back of the vehicles that I was following. The center focus is a little better on the low beam. I though I was going to not be happy with the high beam but I was quite surprised on how good it was. I pass thousands of cars each night (i can tell who is running lights without a shield - ouch) I am happy that I am not bothering them with these great lights. 98% of the time I can only use the low beam. Ok now let us see your beam patterns and hear your opinions about this light.

I have seen the ads and read the report on the new Philips led. It is way out of my budget to try right now. I am sure in time it will come down in price.
I do not think that it would be much better than the $40.04 (includes shipping to USA) I spent for a pair of the new shielded G6 bulbs. I got it in about one week from Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
Nice reply:

Hello Howard,
Good day!

It is so happy that you can contact me.

I am sure you have read our client's information posted on website. I am very appericated for his effort and your inquiry.

If you need one set G6 H4 led headlight, here is the price.

1.Product fee: $30/set
2.Shipping cost: $8 by China post.
3.Paypal fee:$1.52

in total:$39.52

Our new G6 H4 has used the Osram chip to replace the cree chip. It will make the light angel wider and light pattern more perfect.

Attached our product photos for your reference.

Can you offer me your detailed shipping address, mobile phone, receiver name and Paypal address. I will send you a Paypal invoice so that you can make payment.

Look forward to your soon reply.

Best regards,
Cindy

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
A little spendy? At $269/lamp? I'd be inclined toward somewhat more salty language. And seriously consider a high quality pair of aux LED lights instead. Instead I'll try those Chinese LED's that Spiderman describes above.
Absolutely up there..... I was only trying to show there was a proper type available. Spiderman's option is definitely the one to try.

Spiderman, are the fans removable so one can use the rubber boot, then reassemble? Thanks for all your hard work.

Top Bottom