Hydration techniques

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
This question is for those who carry some sort of a hydration system that may need refilling during the day.

If you run out of water or ice, how do you go about refilling? For instance, do you take your water bladder or cooler into a gas station and fill it with ice and water at the soda fountain? Do you buy a bag of ice, use what you can fit then toss or give away the rest? Do you buy a liter or two of bottled water and pour it into your cooler/bladder? Have you perfected some sort of technique to get water and ice for free?

My experience has been mixed with some station attendants being quite adamant that I will have to buy a bag of ice or just a cup of ice but not fill my jug. Others let me have as much ice and tap water as I want for free. Like to hear your technique for coercing the free...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've used a Camelbak (1.5L?) and just filled with ice. By the time it was empty we were at our hotel. Maybe six hours or a little more. On gas stops I'd get a soda for a change of pace and that extended the water.

It never occurred to me that I might run out of water. If that might be the case I'd just get a bigger Camelback. Apparently I haven't ridden in really hot weather and needed a lot of hydration.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I don't bother with ice anymore. Cold not necessary.
McDonald's and such always works. Or a gallon at the store.
Camelback and maybe a refilled bottle or two.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
On long IBA hauls in hot weather I'm buying 8 lb bag ice. Hotel and convenience store drink machine ice is barely frozen. Bag ice lasts all day in my water cooler and what's leftover goes in my Stich.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I drove twice from Nova Scotia to LA and filled my Camelback to the top in the morning and never had it go empty all day. We drove 8-9 hrs every day for 1000 - 1100 km each day with no problem. I even drove through Las Vegas at 44c 111f smokin hot for my lik'in.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I fill my 2+ liter Camelbak with motel ice machine ice in the morning. Maybe add a little water as "starter fluid", then sip when needed on the road. Meal stops are time to get something else.

I have never had the need to refill enroute during the day, even in 112 degree Death Valley or Phoenix on up to 760 mile days.

Good to know you are still riding!

OP
OP
JPrieST

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Thanks for the replies folks.

I have a 1.5 liter camel back and have to refill at least 3 more times during the day plus some sort of electrolyte drink during stops. If I don't I will get dehydrated and have cramps all night. I used to use a 1 gal jug and had to refill it at least once per day. I just returned from a ride from South Carolina to St Louis to Moonshine and back home. I found that the smaller service stations that were more likely to have the owner or family member there were usually willing to let me refill for free. I had several reluctantly let me and 2 who made me buy "something" other than gas. I just bought propel water and they let me refill free. I usually carry the propel with me instead of buying at convenience store prices. I'm going to have to get my one gallon jug set up on this bike though. I have to stop for water more frequently than gas with this little 1.5 liter bladder!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I carry a 70oz bladder and a 32oz bottle filled with Gatorade. Between the two I was good for no stops between gas refills... until the mercury was to hit the triple digits.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I don't ride in extreme heat very often. My 1.5l Camelback type bag usually lasts the day and if I have to refill I just use a 2l bottle I bring with me in a saddlebag or purchase at a gas station.

STOC #
I used to put a camelbak eddy bottle in my tank bag. With my neotec helmet I could grab a drink on the go since the eddy can be handled with one hand. Now switched to 1.5L camelbak bladder in the tank bag and it is larger, easier to use and safer.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since replacing my Coleman jug with a Yeti I no longer need to buy ice mid day. 1 gallon jug lasts cold all day, even in hades.

Bob

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Seriously the most beautiful Rambler (in fact the only good looking Rambler) I've ever seen. Though I'm not opposed to spending a little cash for quality kit the Yeti is seems a little excessive for a day trek. But then I'm not a camper so that would make a difference.

I'd splurge on something like:

and call it a day. But as fortune has it I rarely ride longer than 2-3hrs so a CamelBak pack is quite adequate. Plus I'll avoid Hades like the rain.

CDNolddude said:
easier to use and safer.
I'm not familiar with the tank bag version. Is it just a bladder in a bag? And how is it easier and safer? My CB's hose is attached to the Bak's left shoulder strap. I just feed it under the helmet and drink. Pull it out/let it go and I'm done. I understand preferences but don't see how it could be significantly easier or safer.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I use the Motojug system which is now out of business. A 1 gal. cooler on the passenger footpeg. For the start of the ride I reuse a milk or juice 1/2 gal plastic container filling it up to the bottom of the handle. I freeze it and put it in the cooler and it pretty much keeps the water cold all day up to about 12-14 hrs. Multi day trips I'll use hotel ice or gas station ice but like Dave said it really is barely frozen but better than nothing. I have bought bagged ice also but typically is too much unless I'm splitting with another rider. For me ice isn't an absolute but it sure is nice to draw a nice cold sip instead of something hot.

Skip

STOC #
No special tank bag version but just grabbing the tube from the tank bag and drinking is easier than grabbing a bottle putting it in drink mode, raisingthe modular helmet and drinking from bottle and getting it back in. Stupid maybe but it did work

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Seriously the most beautiful Rambler (in fact the only good looking Rambler) I've ever seen. Though I'm not opposed to spending a little cash for quality kit the Yeti is seems a little excessive for a day trek. But then I'm not a camper so that would make a difference.

Here's the beauty of my Yeti one gallon jug: It was a gift. Didn't cost me one nickel. And I expect it to be well worth it during the upcoming Butt Lite.

Bob

Top Bottom