Hydration techniques

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Coleman jug keeps ice all day in 100+ temps but I use bag ice. Motel ice machine ice wouldn't keep like that.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Bagged ice is available at almost every McDonalds. 8lb bag for $.99 - $1.39. Fill your jug or camelback and stuff the rest of the bag in the front of your jacket on really hot days.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a Sedici adventure jacket with a hydration pocket that is roomy enough for a 2l pouch. I may refill twice depending on heat. When I leave home I carry two 32oz bottles and then purchase more when necessary. I can also carry a pouch in the tank bag.

OP
OP
JPrieST

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Well, I finally broke down and got the half gallon set up from Garauld TechWorks LLC <gtwllc@stny.rr.com>. I love it! The fit and finish is very professional. One gallon would have been better, but with my set up I could not fit that size. He does make one for the one gallon jugs as well. Now I just have to perfect my puppy dog eyes to get free ice water when I need it! I've got a trip planned in October that should give me plenty of practice. Columbia SC to Dallas, Wichita Falls, Sweetwater, Abilene, Dallas then home.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I keep it simple. I buy a water bottle, punch a couple of holes in the cap and carry it in this home-made cup holder. The cup holder is just an old peanut butter jar with a ram ball mount on the lid and turned upside down with the bottom cut off.

st with water bottle cropped.jpg

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't use any ice from hotel ice machines. If your local news station shows the health inspections for your local restaurants, you'll notice that the number 1 violation is slimy mold in their ice machines! No thanks. Ice doesn't last long in a CamelBak anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I use a Camal Bak also. When you need Ice, do not stop at the small gas stations. Go to a truck stop like Pilot, Flying J, or Loves. Something with a lot of people. I just take the bladder to the Ice machine and fill it up. No one has ever given me any problems. Sub Way and Mc Donald's are also good places to get ice. With just filling the bladder with Ice and the water that I start the day with, I have never run out of water. I fill it at both lunch and dinner time and do 600+ mile days. I do not add water, just ice. With the ice melting during the day, that replaces the water that I am drinking.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I use the Motojug system which is now out of business. A 1 gal. cooler on the passenger footpeg. For the start of the ride I reuse a milk or juice 1/2 gal plastic container filling it up to the bottom of the handle. I freeze it and put it in the cooler and it pretty much keeps the water cold all day up to about 12-14 hrs. Multi day trips I'll use hotel ice or gas station ice but like Dave said it really is barely frozen but better than nothing. I have bought bagged ice also but typically is too much unless I'm splitting with another rider. For me ice isn't an absolute but it sure is nice to draw a nice cold sip instead of something hot.

Skip
The Motojug.com business is back up and running. My wife got me one for Christmas! Can you post, or PM, me some pics of how you routed the attachment straps?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My drink of choice is Turkey Hill diet green tea. I freeze some in a plastic jug, how much depending on the expected temps, and top it off with more tea when I'm ready to hit the road. I only feel the need to drink when I take rest stops, typically every 1 to 1.5 hours.

Top Bottom