I’m worried about younger generation

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
... We decided no corporal punishment for our kids. When we said no we meant it and made it stick....

You can beat people into submission and compliance, but this creates other problems.
I couldn't agree more. We NEVER hit our kids. There are many ways to instill discipline but physical punishment is the worst.

My wife and I were committed to being our kids biggest supporters and my valedictorian said so in her speech.

We wanted them. They were a gift. We took our responsibility of that gift seriously and we wanted them to know that. I can't imagine disrespecting that gift by hitting them.

Reactions: Gug
They are just a little different from us... On the other hand - they are much more advance when it comes to phones, laptops etc. The other day i wasn't able to receive work messages , which is like super bad and my daughter sent this link https://clerk.chat/blog/not-receiving-text-messages/ after five minutes research. iI definitely understand your frustration, but think they will be just fine somehow.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
years ago when somebody's misbehaving brat needed a little discipline, my buddy looked at him and said "just because your dad isn't going to smack you, doesn't mean I won't". the kid quieted down.
I'm going to assume that was meant facetiously. Hitting someone else's kid is criminal.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Hundred years ago it was considered civic duty.

A lot shorter time ago when I was growing up. Into the 60's at least. When I was a kid, when you went to your friend's house, you acquired another set of parents. If you didn't like the consequences of your actions there, you didn't go back to their house.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Into the 60's at least.
If not the 70ies...
Imagine daring to scratch graffiti onto a house wall... not only would the superintendent have been "all over you", so would have the alarmed cop... and dare when you got home after that...
So being well aware of the consequences we didn't even dream about damaging property...

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
One thing you learn about children - all are different.
I compare their behavior to be like some puppy dogs I've had over the years.
Some dogs never want to chase cars, don't chew up anything, don't dig up the flower beds - they only want to please you.
A stern look or word and that's all it takes.
A pup from the same litter can be a car chaser, a chewer, a digger and always into mischief.
One you don't need to keep 'tied up' on a runner, the other you do or else it'll get killed on the road.
All discipline - physical or otherwise - is not necessarily abuse but can be.
A wise parent figures out what discipline is needed with each child and does accordingly.
As I've told my sister many times "I wasn't a better kid than you, I was just a smarter kid - I saw what you got and did a better job of avoiding it."
And I told my daughter before she had kids - 'You draw the line wherever it suits you - but do your kids a favor and don't move it on them.'
I reckon I seemed to have turned out alright cause I learned very quickly there were consequences for all actions.
That lesson served me well in my 'vacation' in the USMC - especially during that 11 week resort they run down at a place called Parris Island.
I learned there that some kids figure it out quickly and some don't ever figure it out. ;)
Having 5 kids 10 years apart and hindsight, this is sage advice. One was smacked once, one never, you get the idea.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Funny this thread is still alive. I'm from a small place in the Caribbean. Growing up, schools public and private would "cane" a student for especially egregious transgressions. And by cane, I mean beat you with a bamboo rod. It didn't happen very much, maybe every 3rd year or so. But it damned sure kept everyone in line. Fully supported by the parents and society as well. AFAIK, this is still the case. There is an air of propriety there. Upbinging and manners are still a thing. For example, topless beaches aren't allowed. There is no law, per se, but the locals will tell you to keep your clothes on and have some self respect. Everyone, regardless of social status makes an effort to not be a slob. Dressing up for church is still a big deal. Things are changing a bit, unfortunately. When I was last there a local had attacked and attempted to sexually assault a tourist. Petty crime, minor theft is common, but something like this is beyond the pale. The perpetrator was quickly caught by the police, and just in time, as the locals had beaten him so badly he needed a week in the hospital. He wouldn't have survived if the police didn't get to him. The level of "acceptable" has been lowered so far now that you cannot get under that bar....

Being quite strong when my daughters were small , I dreaded too have to smack there backside. Of course they were doing something they were not supposed too and talked back to me. Which put me in rage mode , rather than hit my angles I punched the outside door , turns out it was a hollow core door . Good for my hand , scared the you know what out of my daughters. From that moment on my girls never did anything wrong when I was with them. Fear is a useful tool.

Top Bottom