I’m worried about younger generation

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can’t totally agree with you, as my daughter is now 40, and can check her own oil. She can also change a flat. My 9 year old grandson can probably design a new jack, to make changing oil better.

They say to never feed wild animals because it makes them lazy and they forget how to forage on their own. I’m quite sure that goes the same for humans.

John
Thus the use of the qualifier as often as not.
It was not by any means directed at you as the original poster, or anyone else in particular. It applies to some and doesn't to some. Which camp any of us are in remains hidden from this forum behind the internet, only the Shadow knows.

To quote a movie title , people come in three kinds " The Good, the bad and the ugly" but they forgot one the "Really Stupid" .
I don't waste my time helping "Stupid" anymore.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
I know a chap who said to his other arf, " when you fill up the car (Golf Gti) it'll need a 'drop' of oil in it too, top it up".
She topped it up alright, right to the filler cap, it tried to squeeze but oil don’t compress too well. Oops.
Upt.
Once upon a time my wife filled up with gas and then proceeded to top up with oil. Fortunately not into the gas tank. She found it most difficult because she found the hole to put the oil in was very small. She couldn't figure out why they designed the dip stick hole so small. Very difficult to get the oil in.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Well, I'm perplexed. Comparing what I see/hear/read in the media (and evidently here) with what I see myself . . . the youth of today are doing just fine. I don't disregard many of the examples put forth in this thread, but I just don't see them as examples of the youth of today as a whole. Local schools near me are involved with robotics, medical training, construction design, culinary arts . . . students are thriving. I'm encouraged by what I see.

FWIW,
Shuey
Readin: Understanding
Ritin: Expression
Rithmetic: Logic

Not so much.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I am SO GLAD I don't have a FB account for SO MANY reasons.
It requires some maintenance, I got my filters set quite good, all on private, not bothered by much advertisement...
Certain interest groups, space exploration, astronomy, NASA, whale watching, ST1100 Groups, classic cars, classic motorcycles... some fun sites...
Great to stay in touch with folks from all over, in fact I know people from abroad then here in AuSTria...

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
This all started with a Facebook argument that I had, a couple of weeks back. A young lady posted in a local group, and I couldn’t resist replying. Her post, asking for advise went something like this…..

”I was driving up the interstate, when my engine started making a loud, banging noise. Then the car quit, and smoke started coming out from under the hood. The oil light has been on for about a week. Can someone come look at it please? I can’t really afford towing.” Note: Probably sent from a $1200 phone.

Then,,,the replies started. Hang on, it gets good. Here’s some of the good ones.
#1 (The best) Do you have gas in it? Mine did that when it ran out of gas.
1A. Mine too. Check your gas.
#2. It’s probably a fuse making the light come on.
#3. My boyfriend can fix it. He has a shop, but he needs gas money to come look at it.
#4. You probably just hit a pothole and blew a tire.
4A. Them potholes are terrible this year.
4B. My cousins neighbor’s boy had to buy a new wheel because of them dang potholes.

And it went downhill from there….Until…..I replied. Then it hit the fan.

I replied, “Anyone that too dumb to check their oil, when the light come on, needs to surrender their drivers license, because you definitely don’t have enough sense to be driving.“

Then the argument. Some young guy jumped in and called me a smartass for not trying to help this poor girl. I replied that I’m not going to replace her engine on the side of the interstate.

He actually replied something like, “why u dissing hurforhaving hur ride brekdownshe trinto get to wor an u been an ass.”

Me: Does someone have to tell her not to put her hand in a hot oven. A little common sense goes a long way.

Him: u got 2 b old af if u stil cook who does that

Me: Just give her $4000 for a new engine.

Him: imma goan fix the dam thng ishow u who smart an who the olddumass

I gave up. These people walk among us. And they’re reproducing. I’m now slowly changing my mind about AI. If some of these kids don’t get some artificial intelligence , they won’t have any intelligence at all.

Just imagine what it will be like in the future, when these kids get hired into a job and have to write any sort of document. They’ll do it on their phone and text it.

FUTURE BILL OF SALE

i goan sel my trikd out busa the one i got fm pinky the red bike not the pos blu one ima sell to skeeter 4 600 cuz no title an it hot af an new tirs to

skootz

Thoughts?
John
We spend more on education in the US than anyone else, I believe...
And this is the result. An illiterate younger generation, that's unable to think.

Nashcat, you are right to be worried (I am too). It makes me glad to be old, the future is not bright.
It's all been done on purpose....

"I'm looking for some new conspiracy theories - because of all my old ones have come true"

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
2 stories (and I found the very first one in this (about the oil light) thread quite entertaining):

- My wife and I had a 2006 Cadillac CTS (actually a good GM car, put 110K miles on it but it began consuming some oil, like 1 qt in 1500 or so miles), so we bought a new SRX in 2012 (Mrs wanted an SUV). GAVE the old car to the SIL- Mrs was on the bank note of her daughter’s car (and Mrs would make sure daughter paid Mrs the $$$ for the payment which she made), so the provision was that her husband makes sure to keep up on the payments (my wife’s daughter’s car) and the car (our old car) was his, free and clear, but he’s responsible for repairs, etc. One day, the battery is dead, so I investigated and told them I could source a new batt while they’re at work, swapped it, car runs again, but…no offer to pay for said battery, no thanks, no nothing. I could afford it, but said nothing ultimately…that was the last favor I did for them.

-2nd story (not really a story)- if you are familiar with Nextdoor, it’s basically FB for neighborhoods- on a rare occasion, I’ll scan it, but often, you‘ll see a hard luck story with a GoFundMe link- now I’m not totally cold hearted but definitely cynical- before the internet, how did people with a hard luck story correct their situation? Oh, I don’t know, maybe go out and get a 2nd job (and I’m not talking a fatality in the family as the hard luck story)- there’s just so many scams out there, so you have to be careful- asking complete strangers for a handout on Nextdoor is pretty brazen (and some people respond with ‘If your car/home/etc. was lost to an accident, what did the insurance company say?’ which to me is reasonable to ask). This is usually followed by either crickets or others telling the person who asked the appropriate question not to be so cynical or outright attacking them (you all know, the keyboard warriors).

Lots of scams out there and people looking for an easy way out. In terms of the first story, if you blew your engine because you ignored an oil warning light, and paid the $4K for a new engine, I guarantee you would be VERY vigilant in checking oil on the replacement engine, or, you’re just going to have the same result (and expense).

As for me, I’m just trying to get through the next 30 or so years with as little hassle as possible and have some good times on the way out.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
In my view, the cause of this mayhem is bad parenting. Kids are kids - just like always but the quality of parenting I see out in society is appalling.

You see young parents yakking on their cell phones instead of talking to their children - or equally bad - giving them an iPad to amuse themselves during family meals. Or a parent telling an unruly child in a store - "please settle down and I'll give you a candy bar". FFS - my Mum used to tell me to cool it or she'd warm up my backside.

The world should be run by adults and not 5-year-olds. However, in many families these days, nobody is in charge - or the kids make the decisions.

The other key point is that a parent only has to fight each battle 1-4 times. If you make a decision and calmly, but firmly, stick to it - the kids will learn to stop whining and comply.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was in Wally World one day and a 'little' one was laying in the floor kicking and screaming to get it's way.
Before I could stop myself I looked at it's mother and told her -
"You know, my momma had a cure for that!"
and walked away from her astonishment. ;)

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The problem is social media attracts and encourages many of the stupidest humans on the planet. It only takes a few to create a black hole of stupidity, from which there is no escape. Just avoid it entirely. I deleted all those accounts years ago and I don't miss it. I will admit to having a ghost account as there is one group who I really need to stay in touch with uses FB. But I don't post, its only for info. There's three types of people, Those that learn by doing, those that learn by watching others, and those that have to touch the fire to make sure its hot. They are the slowest ones in the herd running from the predators, just let them make an example of themselves for all to witness. Life is hard, its really hard when you're stupid.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The problem is social media attracts and encourages many of the stupidest humans on the planet. It only takes a few to create a black hole of stupidity, from which there is no escape. Just avoid it entirely. I deleted all those accounts years ago and I don't miss it. I will admit to having a ghost account as there is one group who I really need to stay in touch with uses FB. But I don't post, its only for info. There's three types of people, Those that learn by doing, those that learn by watching others, and those that have to touch the fire to make sure its hot. They are the slowest ones in the herd running from the predators, just let them make an example of themselves for all to witness. Life is hard, its really hard when you're stupid.
in that sense...

428611429_819250000235601_6289498757836580792_n.jpg

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I was in Wally World one day and a 'little' one was laying in the floor kicking and screaming to get it's way.
Before I could stop myself I looked at it's mother and told her -
"You know, my momma had a cure for that!"
and walked away from her astonishment. ;)
UP - your momma was right! I haven’t seen you kicking and screaming on the floor for over a year!

Top Bottom