I did it again.....

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
01h30 AM.... back from work, it was nice riding in the cool temperature (68-70 F / 19 C), no traffic on highway... I arrived at my exit, but decided to extend the ride a bit before going home.

I went 15 minutes farther, in a provincial park, to have a look at the stars. The night sky is a bit more dark there. My other hobby is amateur astronomy since a very young age.

So, at my favorite spot, on the side of the road, there is a patch of compact tiny gravel. I didn't wanted to be parked too close of the road, So, I went a bit further, where the grass start.

I was really carefull not to drop my ST. So I decided to stop there, with both foot firmly on ground. I shut the engine off.

Just before I get off the bike, I realised the ground was slopping slightly, towards the right side. The road was on my left, parrallel to the bike, 20 feet away.

So, I lowered the side stand, leaned the bike on the left, get off the bike... still holding the handlebars, just in case.

Just as I stood beside the bike, and started to look up, to have a glance at the stars, I saw my beloved ST going on is right side, for a nap. :doh1:

I think I sweared. Not sure, though. Sure I was upset. But in the same time, I stayed very calm. I took my gloves and helmet off, like nothing had just happend, make sure the side stand was still lowered (I was in complete darkness) went on the right side, and put it back on his wheel. Not sure how I did thatm with my injured back, But I did it.

Still not sure what happend. I guess the slope confused me. With both foot on ground, I probably had the feeling the bike was leaning on the side stand, but it was probably almost vertical, on the side stand. Or... Yeah, it was leaning, but probably not much, and when I got off the bike, I saw the fork extend a bit. It probably brought the bike almost vertical while I was getting off.

Anyway. The bike was smelling gas, like if I had pourred a gallon on the ground. So, I didn't wanted to set it on fire. It was probably wise to wait a bit until the strong gas smell was gone.

Stars... I was there for stars. Yes, they were there, all my longtime friends. I instantly recognise some prominent constellations : Cygnus, Lyrae, The Eagle, Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major, etc. A few planets also : Bright Jupiter in the south, Saturn, Mars. The milky way was barely visible.

So, after a while, I tried to start it, and it started right away, no hesitation. But it ran much better after 10 seconds. Like if the 2 other cylinder were finally waking up.

I took my cellphone to shed some light and inspect the damages. Dammit !

Not only the right mirror cover is in pieces...

20220726_023445.jpg

... but also my right mirror,

20220726_023530.jpg

the light bulb socket/connector,

20220726_023705.jpg

the flasher plastic lens,

20220726_023807.jpg

the plastic engine guard, etc.

20220726_023821.jpg

Rest of the bike has no damage... that I saw. Will inspect it tomorrow in daylight.

Easily a few hundred dollars of damage, plus the challenge to find the parts, these days.

So, before I could get a new one, I will probably try to glue the miror cover with epoxy, fix the bulb connector.

Just the mirror alone, it's about $150.

Now.... Not even sure if it counts as a tip over, since I was not even on the bike anymore... :nuts:

Yeah, OK. I dropped it. :censored:

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
Sounds like you still had a good outing, if you source anything on the west coast I can send them out to you, I have a mustang passenger mirror left over from the assembly I sheared off moving it out of the carport for the first time, [first time! usually TLCFTSA takes care of that..] bet it would fit perfectly. I've got this black duct tape also that is really strong and will make that paint color pop, the bike will have a bit of attitude until the lay up when you can get it sorted, these things are tumble with the short kick stand.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I can feel for you, yesterday we arrived at a b&b, steep drive that slopes both forward and to the left. I stopped and let Cherie dismount, upon wanting to go up to the parking area I stalled the bike then dropped it on the left side. Fortunately only two things were damage, a bit of paint on the left pannier and my pride. If I hadn’t been wearing riding gear I am pretty sure there would have been some bleeding and pain involved from the crushed rock that the area was covered with.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
01h30 AM.... back from work, it was nice riding in the cool temperature (68-70 F / 19 C), no traffic on highway... I arrived at my exit, but decided to extend the ride a bit before going home.

I went 15 minutes farther, in a provincial park, to have a look at the stars. The night sky is a bit more dark there. My other hobby is amateur astronomy since a very young age.

So, at my favorite spot, on the side of the road, there is a patch of compact tiny gravel. I didn't wanted to be parked too close of the road, So, I went a bit further, where the grass start.

I was really carefull not to drop my ST. So I decided to stop there, with both foot firmly on ground. I shut the engine off.

Just before I get off the bike, I realised the ground was slopping slightly, towards the right side. The road was on my left, parrallel to the bike, 20 feet away.

So, I lowered the side stand, leaned the bike on the left, get off the bike... still holding the handlebars, just in case.

Just as I stood beside the bike, and started to look up, to have a glance at the stars, I saw my beloved ST going on is right side, for a nap. :doh1:

I think I sweared. Not sure, though. Sure I was upset. But in the same time, I stayed very calm. I took my gloves and helmet off, like nothing had just happend, make sure the side stand was still lowered (I was in complete darkness) went on the right side, and put it back on his wheel. Not sure how I did thatm with my injured back, But I did it.

Still not sure what happend. I guess the slope confused me. With both foot on ground, I probably had the feeling the bike was leaning on the side stand, but it was probably almost vertical, on the side stand. Or... Yeah, it was leaning, but probably not much, and when I got off the bike, I saw the fork extend a bit. It probably brought the bike almost vertical while I was getting off.

Anyway. The bike was smelling gas, like if I had pourred a gallon on the ground. So, I didn't wanted to set it on fire. It was probably wise to wait a bit until the strong gas smell was gone.

Stars... I was there for stars. Yes, they were there, all my longtime friends. I instantly recognise some prominent constellations : Cygnus, Lyrae, The Eagle, Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major, etc. A few planets also : Bright Jupiter in the south, Saturn, Mars. The milky way was barely visible.

So, after a while, I tried to start it, and it started right away, no hesitation. But it ran much better after 10 seconds. Like if the 2 other cylinder were finally waking up.

I took my cellphone to shed some light and inspect the damages. Dammit !

Not only the right mirror cover is in pieces...

20220726_023445.jpg

... but also my right mirror,

20220726_023530.jpg

the light bulb socket/connector,

20220726_023705.jpg

the flasher plastic lens,

20220726_023807.jpg

the plastic engine guard, etc.

20220726_023821.jpg

Rest of the bike has no damage... that I saw. Will inspect it tomorrow in daylight.

Easily a few hundred dollars of damage, plus the challenge to find the parts, these days.

So, before I could get a new one, I will probably try to glue the miror cover with epoxy, fix the bulb connector.

Just the mirror alone, it's about $150.

Now.... Not even sure if it counts as a tip over, since I was not even on the bike anymore... :nuts:

Yeah, OK. I dropped it. :censored:
Bummer! Now i wait for help picking mine up!

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Uhgg! That really sucks!

You can find the mirrors covers on ebay:

Probably a cheap Chinese knock-off, however, so I'm not sure about the quality or paint match however.

The mirror you can get from someplace like Partzilla:

If you can get the lense (for the mirror), I think I have the assembly (right side). I'm on the road but I'll check and make sure when I get home tomorrow. You can have it. I can either ship it to you or drop it off in Montreal. I'm likely passing through in the 3rd week of August.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you can get the lense (for the mirror), I think I have the assembly (right side). I'm on the road but I'll check and make sure when I get home tomorrow. You can have it. I can either ship it to you or drop it off in Montreal. I'm likely passing through in the 3rd week of August.
He has an ST1100.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've found, like many others, that stopping on a cambered road's shoulder is iffy at best. The shoulder often slopes more than the roadway and for us right side of the road drivers, the kickstand will set the bike more nearly vertical making it difficult to dismount without dropping the bike. Add in the often found gravel and debris kicked to the side by cars, and footing is uncertain. Gotta be careful out there.

Sorry about your drop, @ChriSTian_64, a weak consolation is it did not happen in front of friends and family.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Sad so see this, you already have lots of part on order for the coolant hoses etc replacement, you sure didn't need this. But happens to all of us. It is too bad the ground was soft and the engine guard didn't take most of the hit and instead passed it on to the mirror cover. Hope you can find a mirror. Did you find all the pieces for the mirror cover? Glad the bike ran fine after.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
But have you ever dropped a 900+ Harley? I sure haven't. :biggrin:
My :dr13: kickstand folded up on me during my SS1K... I couldn't pick her up, and had help by two big guys! :woohoo:

Poo happens... learn from poo. :nuts:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I hate to pass along some further bad news to you Christian, but with that much mirror area damage, it is highly likely that you have bent the "antlers" too. That is the very complex sub frame piece that supports the mirrors and fairing bits under the plastic. If bent, they are impossible to get properly straightened again, so that all bolt holes line up.

If it is bent, you will only discover it when you go to reassemble your mirror onto the bike and those holes don't line up. DAMHIKT.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Sorry man, but I'm glad you're okay. This is a huge reason why I bought my GS - 175lbs lighter and no constant threat of hard to find broken plastic.

CMSNL is a good bet for the covers and a mirror, although I don't recall if Uncle Phil had his show up yet.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You know the old saying there are those who have dropped their bikes and those who will. I think I'm at 3 or 4 which ain't bad in 22 years. Don't beat yourself up it happens. Heck my motorcycle was 1 month old when it first hit the ground.:(

Top Bottom