I did it again.....

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Thanks for moral support everyone. Yeah... It still hurts... my feellings, that is.

I went to see my ST1100, in broad daylight... nothing else broken.
@Sunday Rider , almost : I have almost all the broken parts from the mirror cover.
I will get back on the crime scene, now, to search for the rest.
20220726_153327.jpg

You are right, @Bush , epoxy glue for the cover, until I get a new one. Seems like the right side is the one that gets broken the more often. :think1:

Thanks for the offer, @Nexus . As @Andrew Shadow mentionned it, it is an ST1100. But thanks for the offering. Very kind of you.

The rest of the bike still looks almost new. Dammit !

20220726_153402.jpg

@SMSW ,@Gerhard , @TipSTer yeah... I think I took my lesson this time, with slopping grounds.
If I remember correctly, on his last trip home, PaulCB had the same kind of tip over, while stopping for pictures, In Utah I think, due to a slopped ground.

As for sourcing parts, yes, Partzilla have the right mirror ( $ 140 US).
"There are some things money can't buy; for everything else, there's Mastercard"
For a right mirror cover, they are unavailable now, but new stocks are expected (?) in about 220 days. :old1:

I will check other parts reseller, in north america and else where.

@Pop-Pop , wait for me. I'm on my way. ;)

Owning an ST1100 is a bit of a never ending process of restoring / replacing some old parts, anyway.

And it is part of the fun, too.

And what an incredible bike, it is. No ?

Really love this Big Iron Horse. More and more.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had my barely-used '08 for 2 whole days before I spun it on the right-side tipover guard.
Spun it!
Did one-and-a-half 360s on the right side, because I dropped it trying to do tight circles.
I was extremely lucky - and impressed - that the only scratch was a ground-through spot on that black plastic piece... not a smudge on the mirror cover, or on the pannier that side.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I failed to include my pitch for Oatey ABS Cement for the cover. I'd avoid epoxy because it doesn't seem to bond in the same way. I bought a bike with a cover that was reasonably well reassembled, but it was easy to break apart again when I wanted to do a better job with it. The ABS cement more or less melts the pieces back together and will fill small gaps. I run tape along each side of a crack, apply some cement and then remove the tape before it really starts to dry. Maybe a razor blade to knock down what's left when it's gummy. On the inside, you can just apply it willy-nilly since nobody will see it. I have also cut up ABS sheet to make tabs and such.
Don't try to do it all in one shot. I found it easier to create sub-assemblies but keep the glue off of anything not being bonded or you'll wreck the fitment of the next piece.
Check this page for replacements: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100a-2000-y-usa-california_model7518/partslist/F++38.html#.YuBFr8HMLMJ

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Doing what ? o_O
As a RiderCoach, that's one of the first things I do with every bike I own. It's pretty simple to do 180s (2 consecutive U-turns, in the MSF parlance) on the little training bikes, but I want to be comfortable on the bike *I* ride regularly. Sportbikes are tough, with less actual turning radius due to handlebar swing from lock-to-lock.
As this is the heaviest bike I've ever owned, by 200lbs., I simply wasn't ready for the extra weight.
I can turn it now inside the 20ft box all day long. We allow 24ft in the BRC2 due to most riders have bigger bikes, not the smaller beginner bikes.
And yeah, I'm still a kid, trapped in a middle-aged body.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Thanks for the offer, @Nexus . As @Andrew Shadow mentionned it, it is an ST1100.
Oops! My bad.

Well if you want a mirror assembly there's this (from Germany):

Here's a cover from the UK but you'd have to paint it:

Unfortunately, I won't be going to Montreal via Germany or the UK, so I can't drop them off! :p

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
- Brand new right miror ordered, from CMSNL, in the Netherlands (Thanks @Smudgemo ).
- Brand new bulb Socket ordered, from Partzilla, in the US.

Miror cover will be glued for now. I already spent about $ 5-600 for other parts from Partzilla (Radiator Hoses, clamps, gasket, seals, etc).
And I have to keep some parts replacement for the long winter months. ;-)

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Christian, give a call to Top Gun he's on 18 Marineau in Saint-Joseph-Du-Lac he might have parts.
@Flash 2002 , yeah, he's really close from me. I went see him, two years ago.
From his web site, he seems to only have a left side mirror cover in stock (and from a salvaged bike).
For some reason, people seems to prefer breaking the right ones. :confused1:

But yeah... I should go see him, just to say hello. You never know.

Bike
2009 ST1300
believe me I know how it feels when things go sideways; that rad support was the worst; fortunately I have a good millwright buddy, finding American fenders in Canada was plain luck, and a Canadian donor car that spent thirty years out in a field in Ardrossan, all that was left was the hood and those front end bits. It'll be a lot of fun and look better than ever.

Attachments

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've dropped my ST once on the left side (gravel) and once on the right (wet grass). Zero damage due to the ingenious wings the ST's have.

Not so lucky with my Tracer GT earlier today. Repositioning it in the garage standing on the right side (stupid me) ............... and as I leaned it to the left the stand folded and down she went. Scuffed L saddle bag and front turn signal. 3 small scuff marks on my Givi engine guards, which paid for themselves today as my tank and all other plastic on the left side of the bike appear to be undamaged. Huge difference lifting a 500 lb Tracer vs an ST.

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Ordered the rest of the parts, today.
- Right mirror cover of the correct color (R114C-U),
- Miror Cover Spacer (same color)
- Right Hand, Enginebar/Crashbar Cover

All found at Hans Motorparts . com, in Netherland again, as CMSNL, where I ordered the Right Miror Yesterday.
Partzilla had the Light Bulb Socket.

For the Cracked Orange Plastic Flasher lens, I have since last year the Clear ones... ( ordered from @ad1993pan, also from... Netherland ! o_O ) ready to be installed.
I was waiting something, don't know what, before installing them.... I guess I was waiting for this to happend.
So, the orange lens will be replaced by the clear ones.... soon... cause for this, I need to also change the flasher light bulbs by 2 colors led bulbs, and put a led flasher controler.

So, a rough guess, in all, it would cost me around $ 750-800 Canadian dollars ($ 550 US).

Today I went back to the crime scene. I wanted to understand "how" it happend.
I found the exact spot where I was (even found a plastic piece from my miror cover).
And yes... the bike was nearly vertical, and I was fooled by the very little slope of the ground (and a bit of fog in my helmet visor, plus the complete darkness).
As soon as I got off the bike, the fork extended a few inches, I felt the handlebar rising a bit, and that gave just the very gentle push... that moved the delicate balance a quarter of an inch on the other side, hence the few seconds of delay before it felt.
And now, for the "why" : the answer is simple : Gravity ! No, it is not a punishment from God... sorry folks. :biggrin:

Here is where I parked today. I dig a bit with my heel for a little hole for the side stand. Still safe, but not too far from vertical.
20220727_161028.jpg

The other night, when I did the tip over, I was just parked about 10 foot (3 meters) to the right.
Here, I was parked just there (center of picture). Not a big slope difference, but it was enough. Very tricky. Lesson learned.
20220727_161041.jpg

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
And yes... the bike was nearly vertical
After 4 drops last year, only one parked, and it was the winds fault,;) I started to position the bike 90 degrees to the slope. This way it was leaning and only going to roll backwards down the hill ( I left it in gear to avoid this complication). I had many uhoh moments but only once fell. I make sure now before I get off.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ordered the rest of the parts, today.
- Right mirror cover of the correct color (R114C-U),
- Miror Cover Spacer (same color)
- Right Hand, Enginebar/Crashbar Cover

All found at Hans Motorparts . com, in Netherland again, as CMSNL, where I ordered the Right Miror Yesterday.
Partzilla had the Light Bulb Socket.

For the Cracked Orange Plastic Flasher lens, I have since last year the Clear ones... ( ordered from @ad1993pan, also from... Netherland ! o_O ) ready to be installed.
I was waiting something, don't know what, before installing them.... I guess I was waiting for this to happend.
So, the orange lens will be replaced by the clear ones.... soon... cause for this, I need to also change the flasher light bulbs by 2 colors led bulbs, and put a led flasher controler.

So, a rough guess, in all, it would cost me around $ 750-800 Canadian dollars ($ 550 US).

Today I went back to the crime scene. I wanted to understand "how" it happend.
I found the exact spot where I was (even found a plastic piece from my miror cover).
And yes... the bike was nearly vertical, and I was fooled by the very little slope of the ground (and a bit of fog in my helmet visor, plus the complete darkness).
As soon as I got off the bike, the fork extended a few inches, I felt the handlebar rising a bit, and that gave just the very gentle push... that moved the delicate balance a quarter of an inch on the other side, hence the few seconds of delay before it felt.
And now, for the "why" : the answer is simple : Gravity ! No, it is not a punishment from God... sorry folks. :biggrin:

Here is where I parked today. I dig a bit with my heel for a little hole for the side stand. Still safe, but not too far from vertical.
20220727_161028.jpg

The other night, when I did the tip over, I was just parked about 10 foot (3 meters) to the right.
Here, I was parked just there (center of picture). Not a big slope difference, but it was enough. Very tricky. Lesson learned.
20220727_161041.jpg
Have you removed the right mirror yet? You should be able to tell if the antler was bent by looking to see if the holes in the fairing plastic around the mounting holes on the antler still line up. Or simply try to reinstall the mirror, as the bosses on its base mate closely to the holes in the plastic and if the antler was bent, you won't be able to get the bolts back in again. You may have gotten lucky and not bent that part.

Also, make sure the 3 little clips that hold the mirror cover on are not bent out of shape, as they will need replacing as well, if so.

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
You should be able to tell if the antler was bent [...] You may have gotten lucky and not bent that part.

Also, make sure the 3 little clips [...]
Yeah @Bush . I see what you mean.

Haven't removed the mirror's arm, yet.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The surprise will be when the new parts arrives.

The bulb socket and the mirror cover are now glued with ABS glue. For a temporary fix, it's OK.
The tree abs male pins that holds the mirror are on tree different broken pieces, glued back togheter, so probably not exactly at the exact position where they should be.

We'll see.
Up and running for now. ;)
Waiting for new parts to arrives.

20220727_192551.jpg

Top Bottom