I don't have a secret but i think I want one...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Go for it Ashley its just newer and if you can keep your 1100 you haven't lost anything at all if you don't like the 1300 you can sell it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I had a ST1100A, have an ST1300A. The ST1300 is better in a number of aspects, and the ST1100 is better in a number of aspects (many mentioned above). I'd give the nod to the ST1300, but BOTH are great bikes. Bigger question: how can you live with yourself if you don't rescue that blue one?!
:)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, none of the st1100s have ridden have had ABS.
Both of the ST1300s that I've ridden have had ABS.
Mark - You would be pleasantly surprised at how much better the ABSII braking system is than the stock (not the ABS part - just the stopping power). Lots more pad surface, more aggressive pads and that extra pot in the calipers really make a big difference. If I ever get around to it, I plan on putting the ABSII hydraulics on my 97 standard. And one of these days I'll complete my power windshield project for the ST1100! ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Well, I waited long enough that the dealer called me back for the second time and agreed upon a price I can live with. I put a deposit down. Now I just need to find time to go get it 2 hours away.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I waited long enough that the dealer called me back for the second time and agreed upon a price I can live with. I put a deposit down. Now I just need to find time to go get it 2 hours away.
Nice. Maybe we'll see it at the BRG?

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Congrats! Want me come down and get it for you? I'll ride it to your house and then fly home....

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
For me, the electric windscreen turned out to be useless because the minute you start raising it, it creates a pressure differential that causes you to be "sucked" toward the front,... very irritating. As a result, I always rode with it in the full down position.

... the 1300's FI can be really twitchy. Not a major problem though as you get used to it and learn to compensate.

Mick, I've never noticed this (windscreen) problem. I normally raise the screen on the "open road" as soon as I get above 45-50 mph to reduce buffeting and wind noise - works for me and I've never noticed any "sucking toward the front" that you mentioned.

Regarding your comment regarding the FI twitchiness, I've never really had a problem with that once I learned to employ the right amount of finesse with the throttle hand, which didn't really take me long to achieve. I've only ridden an ST1100 one time, only for 10-15 miles so I don't feel well qualified to comment on the differences between the two, although I'll concede that it does seem more "forgiving" that the 1300, just my $0.02 worth.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
OK you're forgiven...this once. no more trailer though. STs don't like those. Typically not on them so they get skeerd...

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Congrats Ashley. I've had some extended experience on the 1100's. Got my first one, 91, in 94. Rode it for many, many miles. Traded it in on a new 94. Many, many more miles on that one. Then took a little time off. Got the itch, so got a 91 and many, many more miles. Got the other itch so bought an 03, 1300 ABS. Put 8500 miles on it in 3 months and just didn't feel right for me. Guess it was all those miles on the 1100's. Glad I had kept my 91. So sold the 1300 to tankereng.

Back riding the 91 and it felt GOOD! But then we all know what happened in Oct 13! Rear ended and totaled the 91, my camping trailer, and me! Also as we know, my wife Carole, also rode a 1100, a 03 1100P, her second 1100. After the accident she said she just couldn't ride anymore so gave me her 1100. Rode it many, many miles, even towing my new camping trailer. Worked great but wanted something a little bigger to tow it. So got an 02 Wing, ABS, my 7th Wing.

During this time I had a total right knee replacement and it wasn't doing too good. Had a hard time moving my foot to the brake pedal and was afraid that in case I needed to do it quickly, I just couldn't. So I sold the 03 1100P and continued to ride the Wing, which I still do today. But I also kick myself in the butt every day for selling the 03. Wish every day that I had kept it.

So I guess I'm really sold on the 1100's!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
For me, the electric windscreen turned out to be useless because the minute you start raising it, it creates a pressure differential that causes you to be "sucked" toward the front,... very irritating. As a result, I always rode with it in the full down position.

... the 1300's FI can be really twitchy. Not a major problem though as you get used to it and learn to compensate.

Mick, I've never noticed this (windscreen) problem. I normally raise the screen on the "open road" as soon as I get above 45-50 mph to reduce buffeting and wind noise - works for me and I've never noticed any "sucking toward the front" that you mentioned.

Regarding your comment regarding the FI twitchiness, I've never really had a problem with that once I learned to employ the right amount of finesse with the throttle hand, which didn't really take me long to achieve. I've only ridden an ST1100 one time, only for 10-15 miles so I don't feel well qualified to comment on the differences between the two, although I'll concede that it does seem more "forgiving" that the 1300, just my $0.02 worth.
I had the back pressure (sucking to the front) when I had a different windshield. When I installed my Clearview with a vent the back pressure disappeared.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like your ST1100 was like my '99. I went on a number of long distance trips with a guy who also had an 1100. My buddy would get 42 to 44 mpg while I got 38 to 39. I was always the one who peeled of for a gas station first. That difference stayed the same whether we were on the Interstates or secondary roads. I did everything I could to solve the "problem" but in the end, I had to conclude that not all engines are alike. My '99 was just a gas hog. My '01 on the other hand got an overall average or 41.4 mpg but individual fillups could see as high as 48 mpg.
I did a couple of long trips with lister Doug Walby, both of us on ST1100's. He always got a few miles per gallon better than me. He said it was because he slowed down less for turns (true) but I had a Clearview +4 that I cut down to around a +3. IIRC it was also wider than stock so I think the aerodynamics of the bigger windshield were responsible for much of the difference in mpg.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I did a couple of long trips with lister Doug Walby, both of us on ST1100's. He always got a few miles per gallon better than me. He said it was because he slowed down less for turns (true) but I had a Clearview +4 that I cut down to around a +3. IIRC it was also wider than stock so I think the aerodynamics of the bigger windshield were responsible for much of the difference in mpg.
I get about 4 mpg better on my 1100 with a stock screen Vs a larger Clearview.

Top Bottom