I don't have a secret but i think I want one...

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Congrats Ashley. I've had some extended experience on the 1100's. Got my first one, 91, in 94. Rode it for many, many miles. Traded it in on a new 94. Many, many more miles on that one. Then took a little time off. Got the itch, so got a 91 and many, many more miles. Got the other itch so bought an 03, 1300 ABS. Put 8500 miles on it in 3 months and just didn't feel right for me. Guess it was all those miles on the 1100's. Glad I had kept my 91. So sold the 1300 to tankereng.

Back riding the 91 and it felt GOOD! But then we all know what happened in Oct 13! Rear ended and totaled the 91, my camping trailer, and me! Also as we know, my wife Carole, also rode a 1100, a 03 1100P, her second 1100. After the accident she said she just couldn't ride anymore so gave me her 1100. Rode it many, many miles, even towing my new camping trailer. Worked great but wanted something a little bigger to tow it. So got an 02 Wing, ABS, my 7th Wing.

During this time I had a total right knee replacement and it wasn't doing too good. Had a hard time moving my foot to the brake pedal and was afraid that in case I needed to do it quickly, I just couldn't. So I sold the 03 1100P and continued to ride the Wing, which I still do today. But I also kick myself in the butt every day for selling the 03. Wish every day that I had kept it.

So I guess I'm really sold on the 1100's!!
I guess that's a vote for the 1100 then, huh?

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I did a couple of long trips with lister Doug Walby, both of us on ST1100's. He always got a few miles per gallon better than me. He said it was because he slowed down less for turns (true) but I had a Clearview +4 that I cut down to around a +3. IIRC it was also wider than stock so I think the aerodynamics of the bigger windshield were responsible for much of the difference in mpg.
My buddy & I had the exact same windscreens. A great deal of our travel was spent on the interstates when on long distance tours (takes forever to get out of Texas when you live in Houston and are heading to the western states). In addition, I was always the one who took corners faster. My buddy was a former cruiser rider and rode accordingly. Despite this, I was the one who always got the lower mpg.

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Throttle problem ... ;-)
I would say this was a possibility but for the fact that we would spend sometimes entire days on the interstate at the same speed with the same result. Consider that just to head west to get the heck out of Texas, it is a trip of 745 miles from Houston to El Paso, all on I-10! Plenty of time to have a good test at constant speeds.

Also, from my own records (I kept record of every gas fillup and corresponding mileage), my '99 got an average 38 mpg through 70k miles of ownership and my '01 got 41.4 mpg over the 50k miles that I had it.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had the back pressure (sucking to the front) when I had a different windshield. When I installed my Clearview with a vent the back pressure disappeared.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have the bike quip shiled on mine as well as trying a laminar lip and the lip did the best to eliminate the back pressure, the BQ shield reduced it a lot to where it wasn't really noticeable like the stock screen.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I have to put my two cents in on this. I had a new '91 for 75,000 miles and now a new '03 for 84,000 and counting, both non abs and I installed the power windshield on my '03. I would have never gone back to the '91 after my first ride on the 13. I don't ride for transportation, just fun and sport. Besides the brakes the 13 just handles SO MUCH BETTER on a twisty road. In all those ST miles I have only used the freeway about five thousand miles.

Uncle Phil, you remember we meet about six years ago above Hells Canyon. My friend Dennis was on his ST 1100 and would never try out my 13. I took his bike and told him the key was in mine and either ride it or walk. I followed him off the mountain and it was the best I ever saw him ride! About four days after we got back home to N. Ca. he shows up with a nice used '07 ST 1300! Nuff said.

By the way I will be 82 come September and still loving my ST 13 despite two new hips and severe prostate cancer in remission.

Ed Wing

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
By the way I have attended three WEstocks and won the "Old Pharte Award" at the last two and would be assured another one at Grand Junction, Co. but there is no fun way across the desert for me.

Ed

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I lost my 1100 in a fire this spring and got an 03 1300 with the insurance settlement. I think you will be happy with the extra power and a bit more nimbleness in the corners. It is a different ride but you will have both to try back and forth. Maybe you could give us your own feedback once you have gotten used to it. The first thing I changed was I took off the peg lowering kit because I was dragging them in the corners when riding two up. The pillion didn't like that scraping sound...

I'll be at ON-STOC and am curious to see which one you arrive on.

Ride safe.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I lost my 1100 in a fire this spring and got an 03 1300 with the insurance settlement. I think you will be happy with the extra power and a bit more nimbleness in the corners. It is a different ride but you will have both to try back and forth. Maybe you could give us your own feedback once you have gotten used to it. The first thing I changed was I took off the peg lowering kit because I was dragging them in the corners when riding two up. The pillion didn't like that scraping sound...

I'll be at ON-STOC and am curious to see which one you arrive on.

Ride safe.
Almost surely the 1100. I don't have enough to time to farkle the 1300 between now and then.

Ashley

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uncle Phil, you remember we meet about six years ago above Hells Canyon.
Ed Wing
Ed - Glad you are still on the road - and I do remember - hotter than blazes that day! I've got well above 10,000 miles on ST1300s in all sorts of riding and I still prefer my ST1100s. As I've said many times, the ABSII ST1100 brakes are a whole different deal than the standard and compare favorably (IMHO) with the brakes on the ST1300. The ST1300 is good bike, but the ST1100 does what I want it do better for me. They are both far more 'bike' than most riders will ever use. ;-)

Top Bottom