I got the call today

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I really don't know why I am posting this other that it seems to give me some comfort talking about it.

I received a call last night that I have been expecting for a very long time. My youngest sister Joan was killed when she was crossing a street in a crosswalk when a driver of a large pickup truck did not see her. She died instantly.

Joannie has been basically homeless for the last 15 years or so and struggled with drug addiction since she was in high school. We were close as young children but not as adults as she became something or someone else fueled by her addiction. I chose not to let her chaotic life and darkness contaminate my life or my family's life after attempting to get her help, which was never taken seriously. I have been expecting a call for a long time with news of her death but strangely she died in a completely unexpected way.

I am oddly numb about her death as we have been disconnected for a long time. I do need to care for her arrangements etc. following her death. I guess the only thing that I keep in my mind is the sadness from such a wasted life that at one time held such promise. The one thing she did for me was to set an example for my three sons regarding what drugs and addiction can do to you. They witnessed what kind of pain her addiction caused not only me but their grandparents. They never touched drugs or alcohol growing up and I believe that this is why.

I can only hope she is at peace now.

Thanks for listening,

Dan

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear her life ended like it did, instead of her being able to overcome her issues.

Sometimes examples in our lives come from unexpected places. I never picked up drinking alcohol, due to an uncle that drank a lot. He was my example why I was never tempted.

Even with that, a prayer of some comfort for your family when taking care of her business.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dan - Sorry that things turned out like they did for your sister.
It is very difficult to watch someone 'self-destruct' - especially after you cared enough to try to help them.
May you and your family find comfort in this very difficult time.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Be okay with how you feel.
Hopefully death was swift. In any event her pain is over.
Peace.

Bike
2004, ST 1300
Sincere sympathy Dan to you and your family on the sad passing of your sister Joan.
May she rest in peace.
Jim.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Very saddened to learn of your loss Dan.

Bike
ST1100 02 Blue
Dan, our sincere condolences to you.
In all the pain , please don't forget to look after yourself and those around you .

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Sorry to hear. Hope you get through this with minimal stresses.
T

Bike
2000 ST1100
Be comforted by this she is now a flower in the masters bouquet up in heaven. Remember no life is never wasted as God has a plan for all of us. Sometimes these plans aren't revealed to us plain mortals. But he knows best, Please take comfort in the fact that sometimes we get weary in this life and after all the suffering God calls his Sons and Daughters home to be with him.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
May your sister rest in peace.
Sincere sympathy Dan to you and your family on the sad passing of Joan.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Words cannot adequately comfort or explain the why things turn out the way they do. May God grant you and your family peace.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Dan, I'm saddened and sorry to hear about your sisters death.
My sincerest sympathy to you and your family.
:WCP1:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I am sorry for your loss and hope that you and the family will be ok.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Sorry to read this. Such a shame and loss when a life is wasted.

My wife has lost her father, her mother, her older brother, and two younger sisters to alcohol and cigarettes. All before the age of 56. My wife turns 70 in March, neither drinks nor smokes and is terrified of becoming addicted to anything fearing its hereditary... even to things like Melatonin which she sometimes takes to sleep at night.

Addiction is a powerful thing.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Dan,
Nothing will ever fill the void of loosing somebody so close to your heart and to your family and we all share your pain.
Our sincere condolences to you.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Yeah.... I hear you, Dan.

We know it's going to happend, 'cause that's exactly where they're heading.
And when we hear the news, it's a relief, and in the same time, we are sad.

That is exactly how I felt when I heard, many years ago, that my older brother finally commited suicide.
I was also mad. Mad at him. But mostly sad.
He was so gifted.

My other brother, nowaday, is an alchoolic, full of hate and destroying everything around him.
I tried a few times to make him realise he needed help. That just make him more angry.

So... I stopped talking to him, a few years ago, for the same reason that you took some distance with Joanie.

Yeah... Hope we will all be in the light of God, some sunny day.

Chris

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Dang, that sucks Dan.

I've got little to add to the thoughts already expressed here, but will extend my sympathies in hopes that they help you cope. I can't comfort the dead, but I can try to help those left behind.

Life is a series of choices. We make ours, others make theirs. Then everyone lives with the consequences of those choices.

Top Bottom