I guess I’m a scooter nerd now??

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I saw Scootac’s Burgman for sale in the Classifieds- I had one in mind for the Mrs. some time ago (a white one) but she changed her mind (I like Scootac’s Burgman but I don’t have to time right now to go to PA and ride it home). Fast forward to now with impending more expensive fuel (predictions for $10/gal which I hope NEVER happens as that will likely crash the economy, but I digress…) and I see on CycleTrader a Honda SilverWing (a 2003) with 4800 miles on it- the prior owner is older with what he described as impaired equilibrium, so he feels he can’t ride safely any longer. By the way, it’s in Conway, SC, just about 30 minutes from my home.

It was $3750 on Cycle Trader, but just today, he lowered the price to $3250 (was offered $3K by 3 other people but I guess he felt it was too low an offer)-I looked at it, rode it briefly on his street (no helmet or gear which I NEVER do but it was a fairly brief ride), and although it’s much different than an ST, I did like it- it needs really nothing and only has 2 small cracks in the plastics (and if that bothers me enough and it really doesn’t, I can contact Bryan Dwight of BDsCycles to get them fixed).

I may be considering it for daily driver duty on good days when it’s less likely to rain, again, due to the climbing gas prices- I’m trying to convince the wife to get her permit so she can ride with me (I will NOT be selling the STs). Now I just have to figure out some space in the garage.

Here’s some pics:

A2154BB2-BF00-4EFD-BD34-9B56BE0DCD0B.pngD832DE11-A5F8-46BC-9C4B-98FE701A70CA.jpeg

99B34431-56A5-429B-877D-C0F822A5677D.jpeg

Joe, thanks for moving this to the proper area - sorry…

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I bought a 2001 Silverwing as a do-up project a few years ago, and really enjoyed riding it. Suprisingly fast and enjoyable in traffic or freeway. I found the limitation was the front suspension, where although the chassis and engine were very capable of a quick open-road pace, the forks lacked any real rebound damping and I got myself into a few "exciting" moments traversing bumpy corners. I can email a link to a a service manual if you need it. Your new bike looks in beautiful condition. Mine...not so much. It had a dead stator and related oil leak, but ran really well when that I fixed that. My wife found it really comfy too. Not much better on fuel that the ST however (at least the way I rode it!).

IMG_1671.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I bought a 2001 Silverwing as a do-up project a few years ago, and really enjoyed riding it. Suprisingly fast and enjoyable in traffic or freeway. I found the limitation was the front suspension, where although the chassis and engine were very capable of a quick open-road pace, the forks lacked any real rebound damping and I got myself into a few "exciting" moments traversing bumpy corners. I can email a link to a a service manual if you need it. Your new bike looks in beautiful condition. Mine...not so much. It had a dead stator and related oil leak, but ran really well when that I fixed that. My wife found it really comfy too. Not much better on fuel that the ST however (at least the way I rode it!).

IMG_1671.jpg
A service manual would be GREATLY appreciated…I’ll PM you

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Nice looking scoot! Just add ScooterN to your user name lol...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've been passed by one of those in the twisties before.. in my mirror I thought it was a hyabusa... then I had to pull over and reevaluate my riding ability after the pass... oh... it was 2 up ....

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I suppose I qualify for being in the scooter nerd camp as well, though my units are slightly smaller displacement at 150ccs.
The Vespa or Silverwing is a perfect partner to the ST lineup. They over protection from the elements, have huge luggage capacity and are fun to ride. The Vespa is quick of the line, easy to park in the metropolitan settings. As for fuel economy much better in city traffic so some savings there.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
As some here know I've been one of them for many years. I've looked at those SWings before. Owned a Burgman 650 back in 2006-2009, and again the same in 2018-2021, and now the AK 550 since last Nov. I like frame mounted twin cyl engines and step over (due to the engine being there) instead of step through (with engine on the swing arm) since those kinds behave most like motorcycles. The bigger displacement of these machines that I call Super Scooters enables them to easily run comfortably with no issues on the super slab yet the format with low CG works really well in metro areas also. I think the best combination, and so much fun to ride. :biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Scooter nerds and those also equally displacement challenged - UNITE! :D

I predict that within 10 years, this forum will have morphed into "Geezers on Two Wheels", since our STeeds and many owners here are already getting a bit long in the tooth. I myself have seen the writing on the wall, as I gingerly push the ol' 700 pound ST1100 around in the garage, thinking of the days when dropping it was a remote concern.

Better to face the looming reality of the limitations of old age and prepare to be satisfied with something that will still keep us on two wheels, enjoying something many of us have done for most of our lives. Suddenly not having something with an engine and two wheels at all would surely be a traumatic experience to one's life. Gotta keep the kid inside of us alive!

There are other options out there besides going the scooter route though, something which I had considered, but abandoned in favour of a more traditional motorcycle look. Loads of fun to ride!

IMG_0071.jpg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
My wife and I had a couple Yamaha 400 Majesties we liked a lot.

They are long gone now but tomorrow she is looking at a Yamaha S Max 155.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
How do the floor boards feel on a scooter? I always feel a bit detached if I’m not pushing against pegs.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My sister bought a nice 2006 SilverWing, and has put some serious miles on it. She used to ride down here ( Georgia ) every year, from Norfolk on it, and we'd spend a week riding in the mountains, going to different BBQ joints. It was not that hard to work on, and was pretty fun to ride. As a result of riding hers, I bought a Honda Helix, and rode it for many years, even two up now and again.
I DID notice that the gas mileage was not very impressive- My sister would have to fill up every day we rode, and I generally filled up the same time, and we used about the same amount of gas, despite the fact that I was riding two up. Two up on the Helix usually meant about 64MPG.

I know, I know....we don't ride for the gas mileage....

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
How do the floor boards feel on a scooter? I always feel a bit detached if I’m not pushing against pegs.
I was surprised how comfortable the seating position is. You can push on the floorboards much like you do on the pegs and the scooter will respond the same as a motorcycle in that situation.
The Vespa handles gravel roads with ease, the suspension deals with most of the road irregularities rather well even at speeds of 40-50mph.
I will say there is a substantial GRIN factor when riding a scooter.
Fair warning…they do tend to spark a conversation…from serious bikers giving you the thumbs up to young ladies chatting you up, just like the power of the kilt. ;)

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
As said, pushing down on the foot boards is very similar to on the pegs of other bikes. One reason I prefer a step "over" rather than a step "through" is that I can squeeze against the step over hump just like I did on my ST1100 or CTX1300 when riding twisties. This works really well since there is no tank to squeeze my knees against. I found I really don't need the tank if I can squeeze my feet down low and I can still lean my knees to one side or the other. I also really like having so many places to put my feet to get more comfortable. I can pull my heels back more under me when being more aggressive or move them up front more when cruising. Sometimes I'll put one foot forward and the other back just to vary the ergonomics making it even more comfortable in long stretches. Just being able to move around so much. Much more than just pegs or highway pegs/boards (if you have them).

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I saw Scootac’s Burgman for sale in the Classifieds- I had one in mind for the Mrs. some time ago (a white one) but she changed her mind (I like Scootac’s Burgman but I don’t have to time right now to go to PA and ride it home). Fast forward to now with impending more expensive fuel (predictions for $10/gal which I hope NEVER happens as that will likely crash the economy, but I digress…) and I see on CycleTrader a Honda SilverWing (a 2003) with 4800 miles on it- the prior owner is older with what he described as impaired equilibrium, so he feels he can’t ride safely any longer. By the way, it’s in Conway, SC, just about 30 minutes from my home.

It was $3750 on Cycle Trader, but just today, he lowered the price to $3250 (was offered $3K by 3 other people but I guess he felt it was too low an offer)-I looked at it, rode it briefly on his street (no helmet or gear which I NEVER do but it was a fairly brief ride), and although it’s much different than an ST, I did like it- it needs really nothing and only has 2 small cracks in the plastics (and if that bothers me enough and it really doesn’t, I can contact Bryan Dwight of BDsCycles to get them fixed).

I may be considering it for daily driver duty on good days when it’s less likely to rain, again, due to the climbing gas prices- I’m trying to convince the wife to get her permit so she can ride with me (I will NOT be selling the STs). Now I just have to figure out some space in the garage.

Here’s some pics:

A2154BB2-BF00-4EFD-BD34-9B56BE0DCD0B.pngD832DE11-A5F8-46BC-9C4B-98FE701A70CA.jpeg

99B34431-56A5-429B-877D-C0F822A5677D.jpeg

Joe, thanks for moving this to the proper area - sorry…
Well......too bad you didn't buy our Burgman.....but at least it gave you inspiration to get on a scooter.
And.....ours sold today so all good!!!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom