I need a battery

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I need a battery for a 2009 ST1300PA. It's a one battery setup that has the emergency equipment isolated on its own switch. As it came from a PD, there's no label on it.
I heard a rumor there was a user that knows the best place to get a deal for the correct replacement.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Search the internet and decide whether you want to go for the gold standard Yuasa or for significantly less $$, an off brand. And then there is the Lithium conundrum. I've not read any horror stories about going this route and I got one. It's now almost a year old w/ no problems. Lithium will be more expensive, if you believe the mfrs you should have a special charger (which can bring the total expenditure up to about double of a Yuasa AGM) but the weight savings means the bike will accelerate faster and be easier to pickup in a tip over. (If you believe all that, I have some beach front property for sale in Arizona). I dont know if the P model takes the same battery as my '10, but it gets a Yuasa YTZ14S, 230 CCA 11.2 AH weighs 8.6 lbs. I replaced that with a Shorai, 19 AH 12V Eq, A4, Model LFX19A4-12BS12 (cost me $157). You decide. BTW, there are lots of battery threads here, you might read a few to help make up your mind about name brand vs. off brand vs. Lithium.

All that said, I would expect a P bike to require a bigger battery (though not sure where you put it since space seems to be at a premium).

Bike
VStrom 650
Search the internet and decide whether you want to go for the gold standard Yuasa or for significantly less $$, an off brand. And then there is the Lithium conundrum. I've not read any horror stories about going this route and I got one. It's now almost a year old w/ no problems. Lithium will be more expensive, if you believe the mfrs you should have a special charger (which can bring the total expenditure up to about double of a Yuasa AGM) but the weight savings means the bike will accelerate faster and be easier to pickup in a tip over. (If you believe all that, I have some beach front property for sale in Arizona). I dont know if the P model takes the same battery as my '10, but it gets a Yuasa YTZ14S, 230 CCA 11.2 AH weighs 8.6 lbs. I replaced that with a Shorai, 19 AH 12V Eq, A4, Model LFX19A4-12BS12 (cost me $157). You decide. BTW, there are lots of battery threads here, you might read a few to help make up your mind about name brand vs. off brand vs. Lithium.

All that said, I would expect a P bike to require a bigger battery (though not sure where you put it since space seems to be at a premium).
$157.00........no wonder you're selling that dream home with ocean views?!?
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Aniwack- If it is the standard ST battery, then I recommend a Chrome battery. I am on my second one, the first is in my scooter ( Honda Helix), and is 3 years old. It was $22 back in April of 2015 ( Almost 4 years old!). I just put a Chrome battery in the ST last year, it is still performing well. About 32$

Bike
2006 ST1300
SO, if a Shorai lasts 10 years, that's $15.70 / year, and if a chrome battery lasts 4 years , that's 8$/year, but of course, that does not include the trouble of replacing the battery, etc. And, let's face it, the Shorai is not likely to last 10 years, although 6-8 years is what they claim.

OP
OP
aniwack

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Batteries Plus was able to determine the battery is a CTX9BS. (12V 8Ah 120CCA insert cringe) Most of the threads here are ten to twelve years old. I'm more interested to know if there's some new greatest bestest battery that has come out. The parts book says the YTZ14S is the stock battery.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Batteries Plus was able to determine the battery is a CTX9BS. (12V 8Ah 120CCA insert cringe) Most of the threads here are ten to twelve years old. I'm more interested to know if there's some new greatest bestest battery that has come out. The parts book says the YTZ14S is the stock battery.
Well I don't know about the latest and greatest new batteries but I can tell you that the OEM Yuasa battery last a long time. Got 9 years out of my last one. Bought a new one last spring. So I've got another 8 years to go.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I replaced mine the last time with a NAPA battery. I don't remember how long ago I replaced it but it's been a while. I also don't remember what I paid for it but I get the employee discount from my neighbor. I will replace it with the same thing when the time comes.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The original Yuasa YTZ14S is 11.2 AH, 230 CCA and many consider it to be under powered for an ST1300. The CTX9BS is only 8Ah and 120 CCA. I would definitely stay away from that battery.
For a 2009 ST1300P the Battery Plus website lists part number CYLAZ14SXTA Xtreme AGM Battery, 225 CCA. The AH is not listed. $104.99.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In the end, you have to weigh the possiblity of getting stuck against how much the battery will cost. And where you ride. My wife and I were doing a day trip in south eastern Ohio (visiting small towns on back roads) in our old Highlander a few years ago. We had stopped to walk around in the town, and when we tried to start the car, nada. There had been no advance warning. After canvassing local stores, we were able to get a jump and we drove less than a mile to a NAPA store. Their battery (we could chose from one of one size/brand) cost over $150. We took it - and were happy we did not need a tow (at home in Cleveland it would have cost me about half that. Similar thing happened to me on the way to the OH-STOC last year, except it would have been a major inconvenience to more than just me to attempt to get a replacement (if available). I borrowed a jump starter battery from Pat and made it through the weekend. Given a choice for the bike, I will spend more for a battery than less, and change it out before it quits after 4 or 5 years (not sure about the Shorai). Cost of riding and not worrying. Everybody's mileage will vary.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Quite a few folks have purchased 'genuine' Yuasa, YTZ14S. Don't think I have heard anyone say they are as good as the factory model.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I bought an AGM for my '01 ST1100 from Walmart for $87, I believe; needed it when I bought the bike in Aug.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
Quite a few folks have purchased 'genuine' Yuasa, YTZ14S. Don't think I have heard anyone say they are as good as the factory model.
+1 They're have been many posts complaining that the off the shelf Yuasa doesn't last nearly as long as the factory in the bike battery. Given the price of the Yuasa I don't know that it will make the cut when it's time to replace mine.

Bike
1991 ST1100
+1 They're have been many posts complaining that the off the shelf Yuasa doesn't last nearly as long as the factory in the bike battery. Given the price of the Yuasa I don't know that it will make the cut when it's time to replace mine.
I replaced my old one with the off the shelf Yuasa last spring (spring 2018). Now admittedly, we had a good cold winter here AND I moved in December AND I didn't plug the bike back into the battery tender after that. Nevertheless, I was disappointed to find when I went to start her up a couple weeks back that the battery was too low to crank, and is now shot... won't take a full charge, only putting out ~11 volts. Looking for a new one myself, and it WON'T be a Yuasa.

Bike
1991 ST1100

I've got lithium batteries in all my other bikes and been very happy with them. I've had some for 7+ years and I've never had a problem and never had to replace one. When the ST needed a new battery last spring I 'cheaped out' and just got the Yuasa. Mistake. It didn't even make it through this last winter and I'll be getting a lithium one this time.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The AGM I got from Walmart last summer has sat in the bike, outdoors under a Dayco cover for two to three months in the cold, no charger, and fired the bike right up as if it had just been topped off.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 2005 has only had 3 batteries and they have all been Yuasa, YTZ14S.
  1. 2005 Factory Yuasa, YTZ14S. $0.00
  2. 2009 Yuasa, YTZ14S. $0.00 previous owner
  3. 2014 Yuasa, YTZ14S. $65.00 I bought it off of Scott from Evapor when he was selling them off of new Honda generators.

99,000 miles on the bike.

I'm sticking to these Yuasa, YTZ14S when I need the 4th in the future. ???

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Al Gully said:
  1. 2005 Factory Yuasa, YTZ14S. $0.00
  2. 2009 Yuasa, YTZ14S. $0.00 previous owner
  3. 2014 Yuasa, YTZ14S. $65.00 I bought it off of Scott from Evapor when he was selling them off of new Honda generators.
Your choice of course. But the first and third batteries you mentioned are what appear to be the long-lived OEM Yuasas and not the off the shelf replacement variety that doesn't seem to last as long as the first factory supplied battery - for a lot of members.

#2 seems to be an - outlier lasting from 2009-2014. I think you'll be lucky to find a new Yuasa for either of those prices that lasts as long.

Top Bottom