I need a battery

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
+3 or whatever on the 10yo lifespan! You could put a multimeter across the battery terminals and measure while starting the bike. The voltage under load should be ~10V or greater. A warning sign is your clock resetting to 12:00 every time you start the bike.

At 10yr just replacing on GP isn't a bad idea. Just don't expect to get close to that with this new Yuasa.
Bingo. Don't expect to get close to 10 year life with a new Yuasa.
Been dealt with before, but the new replacement Yuasa batteries don't compare to the OEM Yuasa batteries that came on your motorcycle.

Bike
ST1300
No you are probably right, it is the best I have ever had out of a bike battery on any of my bikes, it has been on a minder when not in use but I do not think I will have the bike for another ten years anyway but you never know it has only done 57000 trouble free miles to date which is not a lot for a 2002 machine :)

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
My bike is 1999 and the original Yuasa was replaced in 2008, not because of trouble, but because I had a lot of miles to do and didn't want an unexpected failure. The replacement was a Bosch equivalent and it's still working well in 2019! I always connect to a home-made solar charger/regulator when the bike is put away........

Bike
49HRD-74R90SRS-
YTZ 14S agm vs. XTZ 14S gel

I'll go w/

YTZ14/12S Moto Classic Sealed AGM Battery

$88.95
Add to Cart

• Cold Cranking Amps (CCA):260
  • Chemistry:AGM - Factory Sealed
  • Dimensions(in):5.94 x 3.43 x 4.33
  • Capacity Amp Hours:11.2
  • Warranty:2 1/2 Years

The YTZ14S and YTZ12S battery is one of those peculiar oddities where you scratch your head and ask “WHY?” Was it really necessary to create two nearly identical batteries? After comparing the battery specs, you will see the differences are minimal. Yet, in true OEM form, the pricing deviation can be outrageous for these Yuasa motorcycle batteries! Dive in with us as we compare the Yuasa YTZ12S and YTZ14S power sport batteries along with some other contenders in this edition of What’s What.

Both batteries share the exact same dimensions and polarity specifications. The internal stock code and part number are obviously different. The only piece of data we are fuzzy on is the amp hour capacity. Our Yuasa specification book lists the lower number seen above, while the images indicate an slightly larger number. Regardless, you can see the amp hour difference between the two batteries is still only 2 tenths. The TZ14 has a slight advantage in every output metric; it is a smidgen heavier, produces a morsel more in capacity and almost 10% more cold cranking amps. Again we ask why make two separate batteries? There doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to warrant the production costs or the higher retail cost.
Possible Reasons Why Yuasa Made Both The YTZ12S and YTZ14S
Neither battery is an upgrade for a dry charge AGM or a conventional wet version. Since their first day of production they have been stand alone factory sealed batteries.
Then we thought perhaps the answer lies in the corporate realm. After all, competition for promoting you have the best components in your machine is coveted. But when looking at the primary users for these batteries and when they first were deployed, I'm not sure that could be supported. It appears Honda motorcycles and scooters lay claim to being the inaugural user followed by KTM, Yamaha and BMW. Honda began using these batteries in the 2000 and 2001 seasons, with the YTZ12S battery showing up first in late 2000. Yamaha did not introduce them into the fleet until 2006.

Last edited:
Bike
49HRD-74R90SRS-

Top Three Motorcycle Battery Brands (Today at Least)
There are so many brands and private labels to pick. I honestly think we could write a novel discussing the similarities and differences. If I were to take into consideration all the contributing factors such as price, battery specs, length of warranty, breadth of selection, and failure rate, to pick my top 3 based on overall best value, I would have to choose: Moto Classic, MotoBatt, MotoCross. Now given certain applications I would easily replace one or two of these choices with a Kinetik, Braille or East Penn. The line is not always so black and white.

Bike
49HRD-74R90SRS-
I am Hearing a lot of good things about this smart charger. so if you don't own a smart charger
well as I was told ... if you have a conventional charger that you use over the life of a m/c/ battery you'll get 3-4yrs out of it.

if you had used a smart charger that would go to 5 plus yrs out of the same battery. So ass battery technology changes ... SO DOES . . . . the chargers

then sell you're old one at a spring garage sale :hat1::wave1:

so instead of buying 2 batteries i needed....... i bought a MOTO-BATT with a 2 1/2yrs warranty

[ yuasa has a 1yr for more $$$ ]​
and i'll pull the Honda 13 old battery out and use it in my 39 chief and fill that big hole in front of the rear fender

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I am Hearing a lot of good things about this smart charger. so if you don't own a smart charger
well as I was told ... if you have a conventional charger that you use over the life of a m/c/ battery you'll get 3-4yrs out of it.

if you had used a smart charger that would go to 5 plus yrs out of the same battery. So ass battery technology changes ... SO DOES . . . . the chargers

then sell you're old one at a spring garage sale :hat1::wave1:

so instead of buying 2 batteries i needed....... i bought one MOTO with a 2 1/2yrs warranty [ yuasa has a 1yr for more $$$ ]
and i'll pull the Honda 13 old battery out and use it in my 39 chief and fill that big hole in front of the rear fender

The link is not working.

Bike
49HRD-74R90SRS-

Real World Charger Testing
Around the same time my local search and rescue maintenance chief asked me what to make of them constantly needing to replace or work on their vehicles batteries. They were using several Battery Tender Jr. and Battery Tender Plus chargers. Their routine was to simply grab an available charging unit and place it on the target vehicle. I advised them to test each battery to create a baseline for which we could work from. Then I asked them to take note specifically which charger was on which vehicle and for how long. After some time a pattern developed. Those vehicles where the Battery Tender Jr was used had the worst issues. We introduced the XC100 into the mix and continued to use the Battery Tender Plus chargers. This new rotation solved the battery related issues and saved them money and wasted man hours.

Contenders to Replace the Battery Tender Jr.
For those of you that do not want to or perhaps do not have the funds to invest $75 in the XC100-P (PN 100x010) we have taken the time to search out and test other maintainer chargers. As mentioned earlier the Genius 1100 did a good job, but it falls in a midrange price compared to the XC100 and the charger mentioned next. The smart maintainer charger candidate that rises to the top as our Battery Tender Jr. replacement is the Schauer Charge Master CM1A. This 900mAh charger delivers results, looks similar in design, specs out near the same levels and is in the same $30 price range. It has done well for us on power sport sized batteries used in motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, lawn tractors or any Off Road Vehicle (ORVs). It is not a true desulfating charger like the XC100 and is a little more limited in battery sizes it can handle, but it certainly gets the task done and is extremely affordable. It is our Battery Tender Jr. (PN 021-0123) replacement charger of choice if you are not convinced the XC100-P is your go to charger desulfator.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
The Scorpion Stinger “SSTZ14S-FP Scorpion Stinger 12v 387 CCA LiFePo4 Extreme High Output Battery” I purchased this past January no longer holds a charge past a few days and has to be kept on the charger. I’m waiting on a refund or replacement, but I don’t want to wait for the test kit they require I use before getting satisfaction. So I ordered a YTZ14S Z14S Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V 300CCA Motorcycle off Amazon.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
The Scorpion Stinger “SSTZ14S-FP Scorpion Stinger 12v 387 CCA LiFePo4 Extreme High Output Battery” I purchased this past January no longer holds a charge past a few days and has to be kept on the charger. I’m waiting on a refund or replacement, but I don’t want to wait for the test kit they require I use before getting satisfaction. So I ordered a YTZ14S Z14S Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V 300CCA Motorcycle off Amazon.
I hope this new battery provides you with much better service than the Scorpion.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm interested to see how Scorpion's support works. Anybody can have their product fail. It's how they correct the situation that really makes the difference.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
This is disappointing news, I installed this exact battery in my Super Tenere, mid January, about the same time as you. So far no hint of an issue. I've had good service from BatteryStuff.com (assuming that's where you ordered it) in the past, but have never had to return anything. What is this test kit of which you speak?

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
They said they were going to send me a test kit (whatever that is) but haven’t. I need to call them back. Meanwhile, the new battery is holding up fine.

TexasRain

It's more than a ride...
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Could you please tell me where you were able to purchase the Shorai for that price?
I'm about to buy this battery...did you have any problems/obstacles with the terminals when hooking it up? Anything out of ordinary when swapping it out of maintaining it? Also, did you get a lithium charger for it?

Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm about to buy this battery...did you have any problems/obstacles with the terminals when hooking it up?...
Hello TexasRain,
Yes, I did purchase the Shorai battery. I bought the model: LFX19A4-BS12

Only a very minor obstacle with the installation. The ST1300 battery cable ends have small 'indexing' tabs located on their edges. This helps align the cable ends squarely on each terminal of a conventional lead acid battery. The Shorai battery has slightly larger terminals. All I had to do was take a pair of smooth, flat jawed pliers and bend these tabs to ensure the entire cable end was flat.

I had read some battery reviews on vendor sites of people whining about this. Apparently they think their bike is some kind of museum piece and must remain precisely as it left the factory.
They were highly distraught about "modifying" their baby. Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

...Anything out of ordinary when swapping it out...
The whole sizing concept of the Shorai battery is a bit out of the ordinary, as they are noticeably smaller than the original lead acid or AGM battery they are to replace. Shorai provides several sheets of self-adhesive foam padding for the user/installer to apply to re-size the Shorai back to the size of its predecessor. I recommend placing the old and new battery on a bench side by side, then adding the included foam until the Shorai matches the dimensions of the old battery.

Hint, I recommend adding an additional 5mm foam sheet to the front of the new battery. This will ensure the Shorai doesn't vibrate or move around when installed with the ST1300's securing strap.

...Also, did you get a lithium charger for it?
I also purchased the special charger to go with it, Shorai SHO-BMS01. I would highly suggest buying this charger to go along with a conversion to a Shorai battery. Especially since the new battery does not come fully charged from the factory. In my estimation it's only about 80% charged right out of the box. I used the new charger and placed it on "CHARGE" mode (it has store and charge modes) and let the battery fully charge before applying the foam pads and installing in the bike. This only took about 30 -45 minutes.

...Anything out of ordinary when ... maintaining it?...
No maintenance issues for me yet, as I've only had it for a little over a month. After reading all of the literature included with the battery and charger, I think I'll remove the battery from the bike each winter for seasonal storage. I'll use the "STORE" mode with the Shorai charger.

One other oddity about this battery, the charging port for the special charger is located right where the securing strap of the ST1300 goes. So it would seem impossible to leave the special charging cable connected to the Shorai battery and installed on the bike. Much like the set-up of installing external charging cables for more conventional battery tenders.

Hope this information is helpful.

Bike
2008 ST1300
Mine's installed on the bike. Right under the seat - all I have to do is pop the seat off.
How were you able to connect the special charging cable to the Shorai's charging port, when the battery securing strap/hold down strap is going right in front of the port when installed? o_O

I must not be very creative or I just can't visualize it right now. :rolleyes: Photos would be great if you've got 'em!

Top Bottom