I need to buy a battery for an 09 ST1300. What do I need?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cycle Gear had one in stock. Dry, it’s charging now. Hopefully it will charge enough to turn over.
Well, it was sold to you dry with acid that you poured into the cells. Since you are charging it before using it, you are way ahead of the game. Just for giggles, check out batteryuniversity.com. The guy there literally wrote the book about batteries.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Remember, in most cases you can easily "jump" the bike - just roll down a small hill in 1st or 2nd gear and release the clutch. Or have someone push you if you can't find a hill. That is unless the battery is totally toast! I have always run a week or two like that after my starter wouldn't crank and until my new battery would arrive. Never had problems doing that...

OP
OP
Traffic138
Remember, in most cases you can easily "jump" the bike - just roll down a small hill in 1st or 2nd gear and release the clutch. Or have someone push you if you can't find a hill. That is unless the battery is totally toast! I have always run a week or two like that after my starter wouldn't crank and until my new battery would arrive. Never had problems doing that...
I picked up a battery. The one on the bike was smoked. I took it for a test ride last Thursday and bought it. Went to pick it up yesterday and saw that the seller left the key in the “ON” position for 4 days. $85 plus tax at Cycle Gear for a battery and it fired right up.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
the Yusa that came in my 06 lasted an entire 6 months. now i just go to Walmart every 4 years or so.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
GET FROM A DEALER NOT THE AUTOPARTS STORE!!!

They go boom.

The dealer battery isn't a magical bulletproof battery. They get their batteries from batterie stores just like us. My local dealer told me to go buy from a particular local battery dealer, as that's where they got theirs. He said I would save over $80 NOT buying from them, for the same battery. He quoted me some crazy prices then suggested I buy elsewhere. Pretty good fella for informing me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The dealer battery isn't a magical bulletproof battery. They get their batteries from batterie stores just like us. My local dealer told me to go buy from a particular local battery dealer, as that's where they got theirs. He said I would save over $80 NOT buying from them, for the same battery. He quoted me some crazy prices then suggested I buy elsewhere. Pretty good fella for informing me.
Well Kevin, here is a thought for you- you should report them to Honda. If they are selling the battery using the Honda part number and charging the Honda price, which is what it sounds like from your post, they have admitted fraud to you in the least. Any Honda part that they sell using the Honda P/N is supposed to be procured through the Honda parts network. There is nothing wrong with them offering their customer's a jobber version of something, though I doubt that Honda would be happy about it. They should be honest about it however.

You have complained about this dealer in the past and how you thought that they were crooks. Maybe they are. How many other parts are they doing this with? How many other jobber parts have they sold and passed them off as Honda OEM parts by using the Honda P/N to boost their profit? How often has Honda been blamed for poor quality because of this? This is why manufacturers have controlled parts networks that their licensed dealers are supposed to use.

When I worked at a dealer, for various reasons, we sometimes offered customers jobber parts in some instances as well but, we sold them under a different P/N than the OEM used. We also priced them to reflect that they were not OEM parts which, sometimes, was actually higher than OEM.

When I order a part from a Honda dealer and it does not come in the traditional Honda packing and labeling, I won't take it. Even the batteries that I have ordered through the Honda dealer came in a Honda box with the Honda parts distribution network labeling and stickers on it. You could see on the label how it went through their distribution network. It didn't come from Larry down the street.

So many on this site claim that the replacement Yuasa batteries do not last as well as the battery originally delivered from Honda. If this is common practice with batteries, maybe that would explain why. Maybe they aren't the same. Maybe batteries made by Yuasa for Honda, and delivered to Honda, are different. Who knows.

Top Bottom